IGNORED

Game Debate #171: Dragon Age Origins

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

15 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The irony is that DAO was the spiritual Baldur's Gate 3

Yeah, that's probably why I was ready to dive in back when it came out. It was a BioWare RPG. Greatness was all but guaranteed. Thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure that was the year that the disc drive on my Xbox started failing, so I bet that's what interrupted me from getting to actually play it. By the time I got it fixed (which didn't last all that long) and then eventually got another Xbox, enough time had passed and enough other games were calling me that it just faded into the fog of my collection.

11 hours ago, Gloves said:

I don't get this attitude. The game had an update which added paid dlc, so they added an in-game character to let you know about it. Like, what's even the problem? THAT makes you uninstall the game? Something you could easily just straight up ignore? 

It's sad to me that people will deprive themselves of genuinely great games for such petty reasons. 

I was already disliking the game and that was the final straw.

That NPC shouldn't exist in my game unless I already bought the DLC.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Gentlegamer said:

I was already disliking the game and that was the final straw.

That NPC shouldn't exist in my game unless I already bought the DLC.

That's like, your opinion, man. 

It was added as part of an update when the dlc came out so people who don't follow the news on these things can hear about it an a relatively unobtrusive way. Imagine playing for the 5th time or whatever and "Hey, who's this new guy in my camp? Oh! There's new content I've never seen before available? Nice!" 

The DLC itself is actually pretty good, too. Most of the story mission dlc on DAO is decent. Some people are so anti-dlc it just doesn't make sense. More content? No thanks! Sad. 

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

That's like, your opinion, man. 

It was added as part of an update when the dlc came out so people who don't follow the news on these things can hear about it an a relatively unobtrusive way. Imagine playing for the 5th time or whatever and "Hey, who's this new guy in my camp? Oh! There's new content I've never seen before available? Nice!" 

The DLC itself is actually pretty good, too. Most of the story mission dlc on DAO is decent. Some people are so anti-dlc it just doesn't make sense. More content? No thanks! Sad. 

I was within the first 2-3 hours of the game, and this jabroni is trying to sell me DLC? GTFO

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Gentlegamer said:

I was within the first 2-3 hours of the game, and this jabroni is trying to sell me DLC? GTFO

You understand though that the dlc wasn't there at launch, right? 

Where would you put that npc? At the end of the game? In some hidden valley you have to search for? It's accessible early on so you can get into it when you feel like doing so on any given playthrough. 

Just now, Gloves said:

You understand though that the dlc wasn't there at launch, right? 

Where would you put that npc? At the end of the game? In some hidden valley you have to search for? It's accessible early on so you can get into it when you feel like doing so on any given playthrough. 

Not in my game unless I bought the DLC/expansion, as I said.

I actually didn't play the game until the "Game of the Year" edition came out, so the DLC was just included.  I don't even remember this guy.  Probably because I talked to him, got the DLC quest, and he went away.

Side Note - remember you could wait and get those GOTY physical copies used for crazy cheap?  I almost never play games when they are brand new, so I LOVED that.

Edited by wongojack
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I'd legit much rather an innocuous NPC plopped into the game to tell me about new DLC than, let's say, a big fuck-off banner ad every time I start the game. 

Honestly yeah, I'd defend the decision to do it in this manner. It's a pretty unobtrusive way to implement telling a player about new content. 

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'd legit much rather an innocuous NPC plopped into the game to tell me about new DLC than, let's say, a big fuck-off banner ad every time I start the game. 

Honestly yeah, I'd defend the decision to do it in this manner. It's a pretty unobtrusive way to implement telling a player about new content. 

Accepting a quest and then having the XBL Marketplace purchase content window pop-up is not unobtrusive, when nothing about the NPC before that indicates he's part of DLC.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Gentlegamer said:

Accepting a quest and then having the XBL Marketplace purchase content window pop-up is not unobtrusive, when nothing about the NPC before that indicates he's part of DLC.

*walks up to npc and talks to him*

"Oh this guy sells dlc, no thanks" 

*walks away*

*continues playing 50+ hour game unabated and without further interruption*