IGNORED

Current Gen “what would you buy”? Xbox vs PS5

Current gen xbox vs Ps5  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

Which would you buy?

If you already had high end PC, Oled Switch, all the retro consoles/games blah blah blah

But no Xbox/sony platform fromcurrent Gen- which would you buy, and why?

Quick and dirty answers. Exclusives?Processing Power? Controller? Company loyalty? Future proofing? Collectibility?

Edited by MrWunderful

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Neither? Sounds like enough ways to play games.

But if you have a PC, what would you want an Xbox for? Is there literally anything on Xbox that isn't on PC?

No. Plus you can use an xbox elite on pc, super easy. 

great point too, I need to add “neither”

I think PS5 has better exclusives but I voted neither right now because of Starfields wild card status. Could be an absolute bust or this generations Halo to save the system. 

edit: Xbox game pass is also a great deal and whatever PS has to rival it is not great

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

...but yeah, why would people buy an XBOX X?  Maybe Starfield will be cool.

I already have game pass for the next 2 years bc I upgraded from gold for $1 and had 3 years on it so it's a no brainer for me. And Sony's controller is still the bastard offspring of the dualshock 1. It was cute to not have offset thumb sticks in 2003 but it's inexcusable in 2023.

Ideally, I would like to have both but I haven't owned a PlayStation console for any substantial amount of time since buying a PS2 at launch. I'm not against Sony and I actually prefer a lot of their products generally but the PlayStation hasn't excited me for a long time. 

23 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No argument on controllers, or the allure of Game Pass.

But man is Sony destroying MS with exclusives for these last two gens.

It's always been all about the exclusives.  For example only with PS3/PS4/PS5 can you earn trophies!  Say how is that FF16 anyway?  I'm really looking forward to Dragon Quest 12 but there's been hardly a peep about it since the initial announcement 😞

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Estil said:

It's always been all about the exclusives.  For example only with PS3/PS4/PS5 can you earn trophies!  Say how is that FF16 anyway?  I'm really looking forward to Dragon Quest 12 but there's been hardly a peep about it since the initial announcement 😞

Ah, yes, trophies.  Sony's rip off of achievements.

No, exclusives being Horizon and Ragnarok and Returnal and Demon's Souls.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Ah, yes, trophies.  Sony's rip off of achievements.

No, exclusives being Horizon and Ragnarok and Returnal and Demon's Souls.

They took the achievements and made them better!  Now instead of just a Gamerscore, you additionally get G/S/B/P trophies and you "Level Up" just like in an RPG!!

Now if only Nintendo ever got around to doing something like that, maybe I'd give my Switch a little more love...

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Estil said:

They took the achievements and made them better!  Now instead of just a Gamerscore, you additionally get G/S/B/P trophies and you "Level Up" just like in an RPG!!

Now if only Nintendo ever got around to doing something like that, maybe I'd give my Switch a little more love...

Anyone know what their level is?  Anyone?  Me neither.  And I'm playing my PS5 as we speak.

Social Team · Posted

If you don't have a PS4 then this is EASY call, PS5PS4 had some killer exclusive games that can be played on the PS5.  Or you can play their upgraded PS5 releases.  If you want a single player games then PS5 is also the easy choice.  Other things to consider that put PS5 at the top.

• Controller - Haptic feedback is very slick and will be come a standard because it's not a gimmick.  It really does enhance the game play.
  • Expanding storage - PS5 uses a standard non-proprietary storage (M.2) so upgrading your storage is FAR cheaper than Xbox.
  • VR - VR may be a thing for you or maybe not.  PS5 allows you that option versus Xbox having none of that.  You could pick up used PSVR for cheap and it will work on PS5 (not the best tracking but playable still).  Or can go full in on the PSVR2 which has great tracking.  There are other big improvements too over the PSVR.  But for the right price I think PSVR is a great way to deep your toe into VR gaming with games like Moss, Astro Bot, Resident Evil VII, Star Wars Squadron, Ironman VR, and so many more.
  • Aesthetics -  You want to add some color to your system? You can buy replaceable covers from the PS5.
  • Remote play - You can remote play on your phone.  

Spoiler

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Quick and dirty answers. Exclusives?Processing Power? Controller? Company loyalty? Future proofing? Collectibility?

Exclusives - Sony
Processing Power - Don't know, don't care.
Controller - Microsoft
Company Loyalty - Loyalty to a corporation is dumb.  Sony can go fuck itself, and MS does everything it can to sabotage itself.
Future Proofing - Uh, neither.  Sony will remake every one of these PS5 games on the PS7 and charge $90 for them, and I'm sure my haptic controller will break itself within the next couple of years.  MS will probably give up and shut down their servers in 2027.
Collectability - Neither.  I guess the PS5 games at least match the PS3 and PS4 on the shelf.  And they have LRG support, in case you want to buy Shantae (the GBC game) yet again for it.  But you're buying a disc with practically nothing on it.

Sony has the best 1st and 2nd party studios out there (besides Nintendo.)  So they have the most and best exclusive games.  They also have all the multiplat games you could want and tons of cross gen stuff that is still worth playing.  Super fast to get into games with the SSD.  Solid online experience and the haptic feedback is dope too.  PS Plus offers up some good games too (just not on par with Gamepass)

Xbox is pretty much just a Gamepass machine.  They are really lacking any compelling exclusives outside of  maybe Starfield.