IGNORED

Current Gen “what would you buy”? Xbox vs PS5

Current gen xbox vs Ps5  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

Administrator · Posted

Should I even vote if I already made the decision hah?

For me, it was definitely PS5 and I am very very happy with the system.  There have been several games I've REALLY enjoyed, including some of my favorite series like Ratchet, Horizon (I LOOOOOVED Forbidden West), and now Final Fantasy XVI, which I'm actually quite enjoying.

This is always a preference thing, but I just happen to prefer the exclusives on PS5 better.  I don't really pay too much attention to things like graphical power or how any of that compares.  I just focus on the games.

I have zero regrets about getting the PS5 and I've really enjoyed it.

Full disclosure, I have both systems. I primarily use my Xbox for console gaming, although I do have a decent older PC with a 980Ti that I use for the occasional RTS or point and click adventure game. For the sake of this post, let's ignore that all Xbox games and many PS5 games come to PC and focus on consoles.

Games

This is actually a really tough question right now and it mostly comes down to what type of games you enjoy. Neither console has done much with this new generation yet and we're only finally starting to see exclusive titles.

Xbox is clearly becoming the place for western RPGs. InXile, Obsidian, and Bethesda host some of the most talented and experienced developers and designers in the world and will probably crank out at least a few all-time classics in the next ten years. In fact, the existence of Starfield alone may be reason enough to choose Xbox if you like that style of game. They've also got a lock on multiplayer action and live service games with Halo, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War, and Grounded. Lastly, the console boasts excellent, free backwards compatibility dating back to the original Xbox.

That being said, if you like the style of third person, over the shoulder action-adventure games that dominated the PS4, you should probably go in the direction of Sony's machine. Sony is also the home of several excellent open world action games for many years now with things like Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima. Lastly, PlayStation hosts a much wider variety of third party exclusives and smaller Japanese games. The best new gen game in my opinion, Returnal, is a PlayStation exclusive and Final Fantasy 16 just released. Legacy backwards compatibility is not quite as strong, but is still excellent for PS4 games.

Ecosystem

Xbox has been fostering an online ecosystem for a bit longer than PlayStation and, in my opinion, it has a much better feel. Multiplayer and party systems feel more natural to me on Xbox and are easier to navigate. Due to better backward compatibility, all of your old digital games automatically transfer over to the new console. That being said, many people prefer the PlayStation ecosystem, so this is mostly a wash and probably has more to do with what you are used to than the actual quality of either system.

Value

Outside of the actual games, this is where I see the biggest difference in the consoles. Game pass ultimate is simply an amazing value. Every single first party Xbox game launches there on day one. Additionally, they host a ton of day one launches for third party games, especially indie stuff. It's very nice to have a curated list of high quality games to pick from at any moment. Considering you can get three years of GPU for about $200 ($180 for Xbox live Gold for 3 years and $15 one time fee for conversion to Game Pass ultimate), you only need to play one first party launch game per year to make it worthwhile. Additionally, you get access to PC Game Pass and cloud streaming which is great for slower games or trying things out quickly. PlayStation Plus has rapidly become a nice alternative, but It is missing some of the features of Game Pass and doesn't include first party games on day one.

Decision

Considering the types of games I like, and the way I like to play them, Xbox is a clear winner for me. I don't necessarily have a monetary budget for gaming, but I do have a time budget due to my work and family life. As such, I love having a high quality, curated list of games always available in Game Pass. I also really enjoy their exclusive titles such as Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Forza, and hopefully Starfield.

However, if you enjoy single player games with extremely high production values, PS5 is probably a better choice for you. PlayStation continues to provide a good mix of linear, story-based content and beautiful, open-world action games. They are pivoting towards live service games and they desperately need a multiplayer hit, but third party support for those type of games remains extremely strong. Even if they do produce a big live service hit, I suspect Sony will continue to produce things like Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and Spider-Man for many years to come.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I already have game pass for the next 2 years bc I upgraded from gold for $1 and had 3 years on it so it's a no brainer for me. And Sony's controller is still the bastard offspring of the dualshock 1. It was cute to not have offset thumb sticks in 2003 but it's inexcusable in 2023.

Ideally, I would like to have both but I haven't owned a PlayStation console for any substantial amount of time since buying a PS2 at launch. I'm not against Sony and I actually prefer a lot of their products generally but the PlayStation hasn't excited me for a long time. 

I didn't mention this in my post, but I 100% agree on controllers. Some people love them, but I absolutely hate Playstation's symmetric analog sticks. I find them very uncomfortable, especially for shooters. Despite that, I thought the PS4 controller was the best controller they ever made, and then they totally messed with the shape for the DualSense and I hate it again. It's the wrong size and the wrong shape and it just doesn't feel good to hold. The haptic stuff can be very cool when implemented correctly, but it can also be really annoying when used improperly.

The new Xbox Series controller and the Xbox Elite controller are the best I've ever used. I don't have the DualSense Edge controller so I can't comment on that, but I believe it has the same shape and size as the regular controller.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Well said Dr! 

While I prefer PS5 personally, I can't refute many of your points.  There isn't really a right or wrong here, it's all about people's personal preferences and what they enjoy.  That has typically been my take with most of the Console A vs. Console B debates.  People sometimes try to debate them scientifically and logically and find a 'winner,' but there will always be an element of subjectivity and personal preference.  One console doesn't have to "lose," as they can both be good and have different strengths.

• Like 1

Just now, spacepup said:

Well said Dr! 

While I prefer PS5 personally, I can't refute many of your points.  There isn't really a right or wrong here, it's all about people's personal preferences and what they enjoy.  That has typically been my take with most of the Console A vs. Console B debates.  People sometimes try to debate them scientifically and logically and find a 'winner,' but there will always be an element of subjectivity and personal preference.  One console doesn't have to "lose," as they can both be good and have different strengths.

Absolutely! I love them both. I traded in my SNES and a bunch of games (😭) to buy the original Playstation and I love so much of what they've done over the years. Uncharted, Horizon, and Returnal are all amazing and I recommend them all the time. For me though, nothing beats an intense match of Halo with my best friends and I can't wait to get lost in Starfield.

• Like 1