IGNORED

Mario RPG 2023

phart010

13 hours ago, RH said:

It was speculated by "trustworthy sources" that an HD upgrade to Chrono Trigger is in the works, and further speculated that it would be revealed in this last Direct.

Lol, I wonder (but doubt) if Square Enix was involved with this one.  I guess this is the closest we'll get to Chrono.

And I know it's June but with every Direct that comes out, I'm more and more shocked that Nintendo isn't revealing their next console.

I get it.  We keep buying their games but at some point they will drift away from the island of relevancy, and if they don't release their next steps/plans, it will be too late between the announcement and the release of the hardware.  I have no clue what it will be, but the Switch is getting to be oooooold in game years.  

I feel like it doesn't really matter anymore. I know Nintendo used some wizardry to make games like breath of the wild function, but it doesn't feel like there are a lot of things that you can't do on a switch, besides newer graphics. Feels like the realm of possibility for actual game elements has been wide open, and now it's just gilding the lily. But then again, I still play games like it's 2012, so probably not the best person to ask 😛

Also, I won't be at all surprised if a Chrono Trigger remake comes along too. SE has been doing ports and remakes of all their back catalog, especially ones that they can easily put on switch or on mobile. I suspect the less popular games are simply getting ported, while the ones that they know have an audience will get remakes. No reason not to believe there will be a CT remake soon. What would be a more risky bet would be hoping that they make the game look like DB FighterZ to give that dragonball energy.

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

I hate to break this to you, but as you may already know, Nintendo America doesn’t develop, they just localize and do marketing. The games are made in Japan and in Japan there is indeed a game called Super Mario RPG2 that was renamed Paper Mario in America. Japan calls the shots.

Another clue is that Mario and Peach character designs in this remake are in the “cutesy form” which is basically a 3D form of the 2D Paper Mario character designs… so one can assume that they chose the character design choice for this remake with Paper Mario in mind

Not to be obnoxious, but the game was called "Mario Story" in Japan.

https://gamepedia.jp/mario-story/

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, phart010 said:

Uh oh. Mandela effect. My universe done  got blown up

Probably just conflation of titles. IIRC the game was referred to as "Super Mario RPG2" for a long time in game mags and such, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think many people know that the game had that title in Japan, unless they spend a lot of time reading about Japanese releases.

• Agree 2

On 6/21/2023 at 7:10 PM, Code Monkey said:

They already made a sequel. It's called Paper Mario.

Alternatively, the Mario & Luigi games were actually made by a bunch of the same people that helmed Mario RPG. Paper Mario is more of a spinoff.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

On 6/21/2023 at 9:15 PM, MegaMan52 said:

I'm glad my favorite SNES game is finally coming back and as a remake. Now more people can play this game and see how awesome it is.

This is my takeaway too. I get why people are tired of resources that could be put into new games are put into recreating old ones instead.

But Mario RPG is special, it's always had this mythical elusive status. When all you could do was importing games using an adapter to bypass the lockout chip, it was the one game that would never run at all no matter what you did. Just completely black screen. When SNES emulation came around, it was also one of the last games to get supported, due to its coprocessor chip.

Nowadays of course, emulation isn't an issue if you're up for piracy, and there are plenty of other options (such as the SNES Mini), but I think Mario RPG will forever hold a reputation as that Mario game we just didn't get. Nintendo making a new and seemingly faithful version of the game, and expectedly releasing it world wide really feels like a warm fuzzy rectification of the past. Now the game will be readily available to anyone who wants to play it!

Given the unique tone of the game, compared even to the Paper Mario and M&L games, Mario RPG really is one of the last games I'd expected to see getting a remake now. But I'm very happy to see Nintendo playing it up now, it's one of my favoruite Mario RPGs for sure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's a bit of a tangent, but I really don't understand that "I'm tired of all of the remakes" arguement.  Square Enix (and other companies) are mostly still turning out AAA titles, the amount of resources they dedicate to these projects is kind of miniscule compared to the Triple A work . Final Fantasy VII is an obvious exception, but stuff like a quick and dirty 3D remake onf SMRPG isn't blocking Nintendo from making more games.

All of these studios see an area within their market where they can hire new devs and start new projects to tap into a specific clientele who often has asked for specific remakes and it's been determined that it's profitable to pursue those endevours.

Nostalgia has always been a thing but it's also really BIG right now.  These types of remakes may seem annoying to us, but keep in mind, they also target that now-30 or 40+ Dad who still games some, plays with his kids and is getting a kick seeing some of his childhood games reimagined in a way that his kids will like them.  Some of us will always buy whatever comes out from our favorite franchise, but some of these I think are meant to catch the eyes of people that are just a little bit more than a casual gamer, and would love to revisit a world they loved.

Companies like Nintendo who offer retro/vintage games on their modern hardware have the metrics to determine how popular playing the old games are.  I'm sure than Nintendo has seen how often Switch users are playing their virtual consoles and it's a message to them--people like these old games and are nostalgic for them.  So... build products off of that knowledge.

This is an area to expand into, not to steal from one department to make another one.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RH said:

Companies like Nintendo who offer retro/vintage games on their modern hardware have the metrics to determine how popular playing the old games are.  I'm sure than Nintendo has seen how often Switch users are playing their virtual consoles and it's a message to them--people like these old games and are nostalgic for them.  So... build products off of that knowledge.

This is an area to expand into, not to steal from one department to make another one.

I’ve suspected that they might do this. They already track your gameplay hours for Switch games. I’m sure they also have some magic working in the background th track gameplay habits on the virtual console 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I was kinda thinking about that after the fact too... not sure this game really needed a remake being an RPG and still holding up well.

The game doesn't need a remake. Nintendo needs to take advantage of the high-priced secondary market for a pretty old game that's a niche but respected and loved outing for their top flagship character. I've never been a fan of straight RPGs and I never owned Super Nintendo in its heyday. But as someone who loved TTYD and also SPM (albeit less so for how wordy it was), I'm interested in experiencing the genesis of this branch of Mario games.

Except for how cheap and backlogged I am, I'm one of the target customers for this. I'd buy it at $30 guaranteed but that's not gonna happen. 40, ok. But it's gonna be 60. See also: Link's Awakening. Maybe a Black Friday special next year.

11 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Folks like us are the perfect target. Not only do most of us own/would like to own the original (and know its value and impact) the retro collectors are far more likely to buy to be able to say they own both, or because of FOMO. Almost a guaranteed sale.  

It has the exact opposite affect on me. The more these remakes and rehashed games come out the less I care about collecting and gaming honestly. The same could be said for movies and to a lesser extent music... Just feel like I've seen this stuff all before and doesn't do much for me. I have also been taking advantage of the hype to sell my collection... I could see my Mario RPG CIB going up for sale sooner rather than later with this announcement and it was a game I planned on keeping indefinitely.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil