IGNORED

The new internet sucks

DefaultGen

Reddit's mostly down because they're making anti-user changes in the name of a corporate IPO. It's making a lot of holes in my technical searches (I can just Internet Archive them for now, until they're sued out of existence).

Do you accept these cookies? If you click reject, my dark pattern UI guy is going to make you manually uncheck 200 tick boxes of the trackers on my website.

Want to see this recipe/tweet/instagram photo? Create an account.

You're trying to view this website from a web browser? Please install our app instead so we can better track you and serve you ads. We're going to show this pop up every time and cripple our mobile site to encourage you.

Want to just install an operating system on your own computer? Please create an online account for us to track what you're doing.

Amazon is full of knock off Aliexpress garbage products and online product reviews are full of bots and incentivized reviews.

Every feed is meant to drive instant dopamine, addiction, outrage, and engagement rather than keep you up to date on interests or friends.

---

Anyway, videogamesage.com is the last website that isn't evil. Until Gloves sells us out.

P2s9jA5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

The Reddit app is working fine for me….

The app works but a lot of subs have gone to private mode so you can't view their content. They're all protesting recent changes to API pricing which make it financially difficult to run a third party app, essentially killing off those apps. 

IMO the better protest would be to shutter and leave the platform entirely, but it's one of those things where people feel it's too big to fail. 

You know, like Blockbuster. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Am I wrong?  I simply don’t give a shit about the thing they’re protesting on Reddit.  The internet is like the rest of society these days.  You let the capitalist swine run trains on you for years and years and then act surprised when you go crazy and your dick falls off.  

This made me lol

Isnt the CEO of reddit the hype beast-douche that bought the 1.5 mil mario 64?

Edited by MrWunderful

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Am I wrong?  I simply don’t give a shit about the thing they’re protesting on Reddit.  The internet is like the rest of society these days.  You let the capitalist swine run trains on you for years and years and then act surprised when you go crazy and your dick falls off.  

My 120K sub is part of the protest and I don't even care.

But other people are impacted and I'm empathetic to it.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

The app works but a lot of subs have gone to private mode so you can't view their content. They're all protesting recent changes to API pricing which make it financially difficult to run a third party app, essentially killing off those apps. 

IMO the better protest would be to shutter and leave the platform entirely, but it's one of those things where people feel it's too big to fail. 

You know, like Blockbuster. 

Blockbuster failing has gone well for me.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

More people need to be cool enough to host their own independent community.

*More people need to be cool enough to participate in independent communities. In my experience. I tried hosting a thing once and couldn't get any traction.

• Agree 1

Wait /r/n64 is still up?  Fantastic!  /r/GameboyAdvance is as well.  At least some of them aren't being petty shits punishing the daily users of the space for their own reasons about third party apps.  I just use and will continue to use the reddit made app as it's fine.  They'll come back, or someone who is tired of it all will just make a new one and go around them anyways which perhaps would be best.

Most of the stuff in the first post I bumped into on my phone until I put Brave on there, and then I put that on my PC as Ublock/adblock on firefox was starting to show cracks.  I don't have to put up with most of that crap but when I did I just started to quit using various sites for being that aggressive.  I don't need them, they need people to visit them.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Tanooki said:

Wait /r/n64 is still up?  Fantastic!  /r/GameboyAdvance is as well.  At least some of them aren't being petty shits punishing the daily users of the space for their own reasons about third party apps.  I just use and will continue to use the reddit made app as it's fine.  They'll come back, or someone who is tired of it all will just make a new one and go around them anyways which perhaps would be best.

Most of the stuff in the first post I bumped into on my phone until I put Brave on there, and then I put that on my PC as Ublock/adblock on firefox was starting to show cracks.  I don't have to put up with most of that crap but when I did I just started to quit using various sites for being that aggressive.  I don't need them, they need people to visit them.

I'm one of those "petty shits.". Same for @Splain.  Not because we care, but because there are many many mods and disabled persons who are greatly affected.  Solidarity and what not.

If someone wants to circumvent with a new sub, they can be my guest.  It's a thankless job with no real benefits and a nebulous sense of community.

Unlike this crowd of miscreants!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Still, I don't have empathy for this style of combative behavior.  I think there would have been a better route than just slamming the door shut on a large amount of people.  Just like your jest about scabs, I welcome them too when it comes to unions taking away peoples livelihood when they scream STRIKE.  Sure the unions bosses and the rest still have a nest egg to sit on, but that hourly dude is going to lose his property and home potentially as there won't be back pay involved.

I hope there are scabs for /Gameboy /retrogaming /nes /snes etc that I have come up in my daily mail I pick through.  It's not right to harm the majority if a few people are being impacted, find another direction to cause some heat.

• Disagree 1