IGNORED

The new internet sucks

DefaultGen

The Internet in the early 90's wasn't some utopia you might think it was. Pop up ads were annoying because there was no ad blocker, info wasn't as easy to find, online shopping was very small, online gaming was expensive or non existent, websites were slow because we had dial up, websites tracked you but there was no opt out option and most websites looked awful.

I prefer where the Internet has gone but I can't deny that some aspects are awful like social media and how the news websites have essentially become an extension of FB and Twitter with all their click bait headlines. Also can't stand the influencers BS that has come about due to social media.

If I ever want a trip down memory lane I just browse Japanese websites. They're still rocking the mid 2000's vibe a lot of the times.

1 hour ago, SailingWiimote said:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to single out my legitimate response and accuse me of being dumb for it though.

I think that was only me, and I asked, not accused. I misunderstood because we have a different perspective, that's all. 🙂

2 hours ago, FuckThisStupidWebsiteBanMe said:

Well, I don't know what's up then, because I'm certainly not clicking any of that stuff. Thanks to everyone who took the time to single out my legitimate response and accuse me of being dumb for it though.

By the way, there's no such thing as "new internet" anyways. It's the same internet. 😛

OMG is this our first cornball c*cksuckers!? When is someone gonna make a game lmao

1 minute ago, Link said:

Wow. Hey @FuckThisStupidWebsiteBanMe can we give this another shot? This is really a pretty friendly place to be, and I'm super sorry I hurt your feelings. I didn't want to do that at all. I just didn't know what you were talking about, and I was wrong.

Dude trust me you did not come off rude

Maybe it was something else from another thread?

• Like 1

Just now, MrWunderful said:

Maybe it was something else from another thread?

I checked the post history and don't see anything that I would think would upset somebody. 

I didn't think I was rude either; thanks for validating that. Maybe this person is having a hard time irl or something and I try to be supportive in that kind of situation if I see it, even to a stranger. We are all here because we have something in common.

6 hours ago, Splain said:

The "make a new one" is the one we want. And that won't happen if everyone just pulls a Tanooki and obeys whatever Reddit wants to do.

And I'm fine with what they did, and I imagine a majority are.  They're a business, they have a right to make money on what largely is a free tool for people to use having other methods to monetize things.  So what if reddit starts to charge third party app fees to use their formerly free data.  They clearly didn't like seeing the losses from having others fetch their data and sponge off their profits pulling users into other apps that made those third parties money instead of them.  Seems quite reasonable really.

That would be like in a crude way if someone hacked into your wifi sponged off your internet, then charged others a fee to access what they're stealing all while you maintain your monthly internet bill.  I'm sure anyone would be cool with a bandwidth pirate jacking your data then selling access to others to use it too right?

This seems to spell out the issue fairly well over at reuters.  https://www.reuters.com/technology/reddit-protest-why-are-thousands-subreddits-going-dark-2023-06-12/

Don't like it?  Leave.  Don't mind it?  Stay.  It really is that simple, vote with your clicks and also if you want money too.  But to screw over hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of users of a /r section because of petty drama isn't going to win the argument or fans, just angry users who got cut off because MOD SEZ SO!

8 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

And I'm fine with what they did, and I imagine a majority are.  They're a business, they have a right to make money on what largely is a free tool for people to use having other methods to monetize things.  So what if reddit starts to charge third party app fees to use their formerly free data.  They clearly didn't like seeing the losses from having others fetch their data and sponge off their profits pulling users into other apps that made those third parties money instead of them.  Seems quite reasonable really.

That would be like in a crude way if someone hacked into your wifi sponged off your internet, then charged others a fee to access what they're stealing all while you maintain your monthly internet bill.  I'm sure anyone would be cool with a bandwidth pirate jacking your data then selling access to others to use it too right?

This seems to spell out the issue fairly well over at reuters.  https://www.reuters.com/technology/reddit-protest-why-are-thousands-subreddits-going-dark-2023-06-12/

Don't like it?  Leave.  Don't mind it?  Stay.  It really is that simple, vote with your clicks and also if you want money too.  But to screw over hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of users of a /r section because of petty drama isn't going to win the argument or fans, just angry users who got cut off because MOD SEZ SO!

I don't know. Both sides make sense to me. But it's kind of against the spirit of open source, which I'm pretty sure that community has always been a source of a significant portion of the user base. (Talk about freedom!) 

It seems to me Reddit could address this pretty easily if they really wanted to, with a simple tiered access structure. Little guys still get it free, MS Google et al have to pay big time. With however many appropriate rungs in between.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
47 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Actually I like the analogy of Microsoft banning Chrome and Firefox and forcing you to use Edge.

Oh wait,they are slowly forcing Edge in.  You're down with that too, right?

Also,you can lay out to me how to empty out the reddit mod queue with the official app.  See, unlike here where just a single user has a habit of calling people "cunts" I have to deal with a steady stream of "cunt", "faggot", "eat a bullet" and so forth.

And yet I still don't really care.  It's a small part of my life.  But it's a passion for some people, and they put a lot of work into it.  And I respect that.

The vast majority of users do too.

That all being said, if reddit was to take it away over this, it would be doing me a favor 😄

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

I checked the post history and don't see anything that I would think would upset somebody. 

I didn't think I was rude either; thanks for validating that. Maybe this person is having a hard time irl or something and I try to be supportive in that kind of situation if I see it, even to a stranger. We are all here because we have something in common.

You're good. It was an alt account for a user with a history. He's been bunned. 

200.gif?cid=c7bb2c544794z8a9hulqclspxz14

Another user dmed me about this thread, and I kinda wanna share my response openly.

-- I really wasnt worried about what I had said at all, but I did recognize the reaction as unreasonable, and a big part of my job is talking to people in that state and trying to get communication with them. So I did want to help a fellow fan if I could, because... I'm here to help

IMG_0645.thumb.png.c71dcce2699d31b5c26dbe770dc19ebe.png

Part of my job is involved in emergency response. And with funding cuts, the way we as a society address incidents involving mental issues is something I encounter regularly and from multiple angles. So when I see this behavior on a community forum I care about, I would do what i can to reach out.  ---

If you find yourself struggling or know somebody who is, and you wanna talk about it, feel free to reach out to me. I'm familiar with all sides of this sort of issue. I'm not perfect, but I am interested. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Link said:

👀 who??

For exactly the same sort of reason as you shared your response above openly, I'd prefer to let the person disappear (if they can stand to do so) silently. 

If they make a fifth alt account I'll out them then. 

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

For exactly the same sort of reason as you shared your response above openly, I'd prefer to let the person disappear (if they can stand to do so) silently. 

If they make a fifth alt account I'll out them then. 

Sensible. I didn't think I would get an answer, but as an analytical person I'm just so curious.