IGNORED

Thoughts on a protective laminate for N64 labels

Had a thought about this today. N64 labels are non laminated, ie not protective layer between the ink of the label and the elements. What would be everyone’s opinions on using a clear laminate/sticker over top of the label as a permanent protection to original layers. Think the old “property of blockbuster”labels minus any branding.  

image.thumb.jpeg.d7467f096de8a7505b36e3455186f03c.jpeg

I agree with all opinions so far.  People who do serious, real archival restoration of old/valuable stuff like painting and various forms of sculptures often have ways of doing reversable restorations so that nothing is damaged in the restoration.

I mention that because I'd have nothing against finding a way to do this but, to my knowledge, no one has created a reversible laminate protection for a game.  So as everyone has mentioned, the next best thing is to put it in a UV protecting cartridge case and leave it there.

But who knows, one day maybe someone can make a nice film that can be stuck to these labels and with something like the right amount of heat, they can be pulled off with 0 damage.  I'd be ok with that.  But I doubt that will ever happen because if you want to protect a game that badly, you're not likely to want to play the game much.

I do see a decent amount of beat n64 labels, but I have no doubt the ones in perfect condition will stay perfect in my collection. 

No chance its needed. If its left in the sun or scratched off from friction, then that cart is just screwed and either not care because it still probably works fine, or get a new one. 

Administrator · Posted
34 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im surprised to see how many people hate the idea. Since it’s not really causing anything negative. But it does prevent the inevitable wear on the label from fingers inserting games in and out. 

The laminate is an addition to the original thing which if removed would damage the thing. I'd never expect people here to be in favour of that, personally. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The laminate is an addition to the original thing which if removed would damage the thing. I'd never expect people here to be in favour of that, personally. 

I understand people like things to be original, Im one of them. But I don’t see this as a major alteration. Everything exists as it was minus the ability to smear the ink on the label with your sweaty finger. 

28 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I understand people like things to be original, Im one of them. But I don’t see this as a major alteration. Everything exists as it was minus the ability to smear the ink on the label with your sweaty finger. 

Im with you. Someone should also laminate the US Constitution so it doesn’t get messed up

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im surprised to see how many people hate the idea. Since it’s not really causing anything negative. But it does prevent the inevitable wear on the label from fingers inserting games in and out. 

The problem with most "restorations" is that they make the item far worse in the long term.  You may not be thinking (or caring) about what your N64 carts look like in thirty or fourty years, but I can guarantee you that any after-market laminate applied in 2023 will look like complete ass in 2063 when the glue has broken down and it's either actiplaquing or wrinkling or smearing the label with oil or whatever.  Ask an archivist of just about anything and they'll tell you that previous "restorations" are the bane of their existence, and for good reason...

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The problem with most "restorations" is that they make the item far worse in the long term.  You may not be thinking (or caring) about what your N64 carts look like in thirty or fourty years, but I can guarantee you that any after-market laminate applied in 2023 will look like complete ass in 2063 when the glue has broken down and it's either actiplaquing or wrinkling or smearing the label with oil or whatever.  Ask an archivist of just about anything and they'll tell you that previous "restorations" are the bane of their existence, and for good reason...

See the aging of the of the laminate is not something I thought about, and is well explained reason why not to do it. 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:44 PM, SilverspoonGaming said:

I feel its better to protect it with a clear case than potentially damage the label with a sticker.  I wouldnt do it...

On 6/1/2023 at 10:30 PM, Renmauzo said:

A box protector with UV cut is the way I'd go and keeps the game original if that holds any importance to you.

That wouldn’t really protect it during handling/actually using the game. Which was my original thought. 

Since everyone seems to be busting my balls about it (not a big deal bust away.) I wasn’t planning on doing this to my personal collection. I am vary conscious of handling my N64 games for this exact reason. This was (what I thought was) a brilliant idea I had the other day “why hasn’t someone thought of this!!” kind of thing. 

2 hours ago, cartman said:

The divide between the collectible and using the medium happened quite a while ago now the best is to just keep it boxed as was mentioned and have a flashcart to play. 

Nah, that’s where I deviate. If your just going to use a flashcart, then it’s pointless to keep the carts around. Its like the guys who have a nice classic car and leave it in the garage. That’s a really boring way to do it

• Like 1