IGNORED

Are you prepared for our AI overlords?

35 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

But they tell me things like when I need beer or when the laundry is done.

Are you saying I have to do those things myself now? 😡

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy beer every time you're out shopping, you didn't know you had that fridge full of beer 😆

Prepare now for the jobs apocalypse – before AI leaves us all on the dole

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/06/06/prepare-now-for-the-jobs-apocalypse/

We now have to add artificial intelligence (AI) to a list of things to petrify us. Matt Clifford, an advisor on AI to Rishi Sunak, has said AI systems could be powerful enough to “kill many humans” by 2025. His warning came ahead of the Prime Minister’s visit this week to Washington, where he hopes to harness President Biden’s support for a global regulatory framework to put the AI genie back in its bottle, with the stopper firmly pressed in. Good luck with that.

Nonetheless, they do need to consider more seriously the consequences of AI that fall short of the end of the world. Foremost among these, which is happening now, is the replacement of potentially millions of jobs by robots. Despite the large number of vacancies, we are about to enter a world in which many people with degrees and other qualifications will find it hard to get a salaried job, let alone embark on a lifelong career.

What is to be done about them? How would they live? There is a school of thought that, as with past technical revolutions, new employment opportunities would arise, but what if they don’t?

Paying people to do nothing is the ultimate in welfare state fecklessness, but what if doing nothing is the only option? This is the prospect facing people from the rapid advance of AI and yet there seems to be no serious debate about how to deal with the fallout. Even if all the AI gloom and doom has been overdone, governments need to be planning now for its disruptive ramifications. Hoping it will turn out all right in the end is not a sensible policy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avatar! said:

What is to be done about them? How would they live? There is a school of thought that, as with past technical revolutions, new employment opportunities would arise, but what if they don’t?

It kind of goes hand in hand with the concept of the UBI (Universal Basic Income) which will almost certainly be the way of the world this time next century...

• 4 weeks later...

Screenshot-from-2023-07-02-20-03-38.png

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/05/30/scientists-warn-ai-could-as-dangerous-nuclear-war/

Executives and scientists including Sam Altman, the chief executive of ChatGPT maker OpenAI, and Demis Hassabis, the founder of DeepMind, have signed a statement urging governments to make addressing AI a “global priority” on a par with pandemics and nuclear war.

It is the first time that the world’s top AI bosses have collectively called for urgent action to address the risks to humanity from the technology.

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/05/30/scientists-warn-ai-could-as-dangerous-nuclear-war/

Executives and scientists including Sam Altman, the chief executive of ChatGPT maker OpenAI, and Demis Hassabis, the founder of DeepMind, have signed a statement urging governments to make addressing AI a “global priority” on a par with pandemics and nuclear war.

It is the first time that the world’s top AI bosses have collectively called for urgent action to address the risks to humanity from the technology.

Very disappointing. We are far beyond the point when Einstein established that inventors should consider consequences. Smart people ought to know better. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 8:05 PM, avatar! said:

I think he's doing it to get attention.  I am not afraid, not in the slightest, except in the cases when people assign greater responsibility to important systems to AI than the AI deserves.  This isn't a danger with the tech, though.  This is a danger of people expecting more than the tech can provide.

I think this guy is just grabbing attention because OpenAI is poised to be the premiere AI service and "there's no such thing as bad news".  Plus, if you can get people to believe this is "Y2K" all over again, but in mass and at the top levels of government, you can probably profit greatly from governmental grants, plus having a seat at the political table structuring what your own market will look like in the future.  This is nothing but good business for OpenAI and all other AI companies that are shouting to the government that this could be a problem.

This is smoke an mirrors intended to scaremonger and capitalize on a naïve but emerging marketplace.

(Note, I didn't read the article because paywall!)

6 hours ago, RH said:

I think he's doing it to get attention.  I am not afraid, not in the slightest, except in the cases when people assign greater responsibility to important systems to AI than the AI deserves.  This isn't a danger with the tech, though.  This is a danger of people expecting more than the tech can provide.

I think this guy is just grabbing attention because OpenAI is poised to be the premiere AI service and "there's no such thing as bad news".  Plus, if you can get people to believe this is "Y2K" all over again, but in mass and at the top levels of government, you can probably profit greatly from governmental grants, plus having a seat at the political table structuring what your own market will look like in the future.  This is nothing but good business for OpenAI and all other AI companies that are shouting to the government that this could be a problem.

This is smoke an mirrors intended to scaremonger and capitalize on a naïve but emerging marketplace.

(Note, I didn't read the article because paywall!)

I think it's vitally important to consider ALL the risks, even very small and extreme ones. For instance, if we give AI the ability to say use drones in warfare, which of course we basically are doing right now - with the caveat that right now a human has to say "yes" to dropping a bomb etc. then what happens when AI is fully autonomous? What if an AI decides it's reasonable to "sacrifice" 1000 soldiers for the "greater good" or "in order to complete the vital mission"? You could argue all wars deal with the same thing, but what if an AI decides NOW is the time to attack China rather than later? Of course, again, what I'm describing is unlikely to happen, but it certainly could. Even one "miscalculation" or "unexpected response" could trigger a large-scale war. Yes, unlikely. However, certainly a plausible scenario that needs to be studied.

5 hours ago, avatar! said:

For instance, if we give AI the ability to say use drones in warfare, which of course we basically are doing right now - with the caveat that right now a human has to say "yes" to dropping a bomb etc. then what happens when AI is fully autonomous? What if an AI decides it's reasonable to "sacrifice" 1000 soldiers for the "greater good" or "in order to complete the vital mission"?

Just for emphasis: crossing the lines in these questions breaks the first and second laws of robotics.

5 hours ago, avatar! said:

Even one "miscalculation" or "unexpected response" could trigger a large-scale war.

And less unlikely than one might think, imo, especially if we're including beyond some of our lifetimes (50-60 years?). We need to speculate in order to know how to recognize and react at effective scale should such a time come. I agree, the risk should be considered.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
11 hours ago, RH said:

I think this guy is just grabbing attention because OpenAI is poised to be the premiere AI service and "there's no such thing as bad news".

It also serves to make him look morally and ethically positive in the eyes of the public. It's good press.

• Agree 1

Here's LISA giving the news --

India now has AI news anchors. I tuned in and within the first 5 minutes, it's clear that news presenters are in serious trouble.

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/news/india-now-has-ai-news-anchors-i-tuned-in-and-within-the-first-5-minutes-its-clear-that-news-presenters-are-in-serious-trouble-/articleshow/102106700.cms

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 3:55 PM, avatar! said:

Here's LISA giving the news --

India now has AI news anchors. I tuned in and within the first 5 minutes, it's clear that news presenters are in serious trouble.

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/news/india-now-has-ai-news-anchors-i-tuned-in-and-within-the-first-5-minutes-its-clear-that-news-presenters-are-in-serious-trouble-/articleshow/102106700.cms

I think this is going WAY beyond what people thought, and a lot faster than people expected.

Honestly.... I NEVER ONCE thought about AI being able to create pictures, music, or mimic a newscaster. 😳

I feel kinda dumb, but it's uses are far beyond what I was even considering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Geoffrey Hinton, “the godfather of AI” is on 60 minutes right now. He believes the models are intelligent and possess comprehension skills. He further cautions that we need to understand and regulate it, and ban it from military use, and that we don’t know what will happen with it. 

Nothing revelatory, but it’s interesting to hear him discuss it. 

• Wow! 1

On 8/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, AirVillain said:

Honestly.... I NEVER ONCE thought about AI being able to mimic a newscaster.

Did you ever watch Batman Beyond? These are the virtual anchors on the news: 
IMG_3784.jpeg.5ba46280c0321a671dcef11cc43e905a.jpegIMG_3783.jpeg.8ee374d2b4f5ee2f401f223a36de85c6.jpeg

Seriously, the government should have a department of science fiction writers to speculate future dangers (and solutions).

That’s literally what good SF does, and it frequently serves as a warning. Extrapolate AI or singularity and you get the scenario of Terminator 1 or Matrix 1. They’re not just popcorn movies, they can be warnings. See: Jurassic Park. “Just because we can…”Asimov wrote at length about this in his essays. So if you have people with these imaginations working a little closer to home…

Of course, this would require a sustained effort from a competent and organized govt looking beyond whatever the current crisis is. Best we can hope for from here is a cabinet position advising a smart, reasonable, persuasive president (who would even think of such a thing in the first place), and a congress not focused on obstruction for its own sake. Good luck to us all! 🤣 

(Apply the govt model of whatever country you like)

• Like 3

On 10/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, Link said:

Did you ever watch Batman Beyond? These are the virtual anchors on the news: 
IMG_3784.jpeg.5ba46280c0321a671dcef11cc43e905a.jpegIMG_3783.jpeg.8ee374d2b4f5ee2f401f223a36de85c6.jpeg

Seriously, the government should have a department of science fiction writers to speculate future dangers (and solutions).

That’s literally what good SF does, and it frequently serves as a warning. Extrapolate AI or singularity and you get the scenario of Terminator 1 or Matrix 1. They’re not just popcorn movies, they can be warnings. See: Jurassic Park. “Just because we can…”Asimov wrote at length about this in his essays. So if you have people with these imaginations working a little closer to home…

Of course, this would require a sustained effort from a competent and organized govt looking beyond whatever the current crisis is. Best we can hope for from here is a cabinet position advising a smart, reasonable, persuasive president (who would even think of such a thing in the first place), and a congress not focused on obstruction for its own sake. Good luck to us all! 🤣 

(Apply the govt model of whatever country you like)

Never saw that.

Good points as well. 

And that’s how it all started: AI managed to design a robot that walks — from scratch, and in less than 60 seconds

Now, an AI system devised by a team at Northwestern University has intelligently designed a walking robot in just 26 seconds, with the findings set to be published soon in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

https://www.techradar.com/pro/and-thats-how-it-all-started-ai-managed-to-design-a-robot-that-walks-from-scratch-and-in-less-than-60-seconds

"We told the AI that we wanted a robot that could walk across land. Then we simply pressed a button and presto – it generated a blueprint for a robot in the blink of an eye that looks nothing like any animal that has ever walked the earth. I call this process 'instant evolution.'"

Yeah, I wonder if he actually understands that during "evolution" many species go extinct when outperformed by new organisms... and it absolutely looks like a purple rhino. Then again, we humans have managed to fuck each other up with senseless war and violence, while at the same time polluting the planet and causing a six major extinction event. You know, I for one welcome our new AI overlords with their purple-walking-slimy robots 👾