IGNORED

Are you prepared for our AI overlords?

Well, I just did a ChatGPT test.  It's good but... well, my wife is super picky.  I'd say about 30% of these were historical ringers.  But for various reasons (not pertinent to the discussion) none of these are great for Mother's Day 2023.  Regardless, ChatGPT did a good job of giving suggestions for a picky person.

image.thumb.jpeg.57e3c8be7333a19a38f68c4a02f6c270.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.860b665a96a2d420a7e89920abec6890.jpeg

(Note, I like being conversational with ChatGPT just to see how it interprets my language. It does fine.  Just fine.)

I think there will be countermeasures. Like other people's ability to have a gun too, camera surveilance, a car or whatever else the issue in question is. And oppression already has been the norm going way back for that matter without anything we'd consider high tech today so yeah whatever.

There's only so much you could do as an individual. Mostly you just get swept along. Born earlier you would've experienced WW1 or WW2 you wouldn't have stopped it from happening.

Edited by cartman
  • Agree 1

AI is doing the work of 250 people at an energy company and satisfying customers better than trained workers, CEO says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ai-is-doing-the-work-of-250-people-at-an-energy-company-and-satisfying-customers-better-than-trained-workers-ceo-says/ar-AA1aW2sq?li=BBnbcA1

Writing in The Times of London, Greg Jackson said the company had been experimenting with AI for several months. He said the technology had been incorporated into company systems and staff began letting it reply to some customer emails in February.

Now, AI replied to more than a third of customer emails, which is the work of about 250 people, Jackson said.

He continued: "Emails written by AI delivered 80% customer satisfaction — comfortably better than the 65% achieved by skilled, trained people."

Are the “skilled trained people” low-paid non-native speakers from another country working as modern day indentured slaves?

If so, and true for red-blooded American patriots as well, if all you can muster is 65% (D average)? On your satisfaction responses, you deserve to lose your job to a computer. 

Accountants with paper ledgers lost their jobs to excel spreadsheets too. 

Sounds like industrial progress!

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Are the “skilled trained people” low-paid non-native speakers from another country working as modern day indentured slaves?

If so, and true for red-blooded American patriots as well, if all you can muster is 65% (D average)? On your satisfaction responses, you deserve to lose your job to a computer. 

Accountants with paper ledgers lost their jobs to excel spreadsheets too. 

Sounds like industrial progress!

Good question, I don't know the answer to whether they are in the UK nor how much they make and/or how well they are treated. That said, a score of 65% may surprise you, but overall that is considered acceptable - well technically, most would say it "needs improvement" but is not considered unacceptable. The benchmark for customer satisfaction is CSAT (Customer Satisfaction Score).

CSAT-benchmarks.png

34 minutes ago, avatar! said:

AI is doing the work of 250 people at an energy company and satisfying customers better than trained workers, CEO says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ai-is-doing-the-work-of-250-people-at-an-energy-company-and-satisfying-customers-better-than-trained-workers-ceo-says/ar-AA1aW2sq?li=BBnbcA1

Writing in The Times of London, Greg Jackson said the company had been experimenting with AI for several months. He said the technology had been incorporated into company systems and staff began letting it reply to some customer emails in February.

Now, AI replied to more than a third of customer emails, which is the work of about 250 people, Jackson said.

He continued: "Emails written by AI delivered 80% customer satisfaction — comfortably better than the 65% achieved by skilled, trained people."

This doesn’t surprise me at all. It is actually pretty crazy how fast AI is replacing some jobs. A lot think they won’t be affected because it’s going to replace low pay or blue collar job but that’s no always the case.

We get our groceries delivered and if you ever had an issue you would have to call or email the missing items/issue. Now you just talk to an AI chat assistant and the process takes about a minute if that. Those are white collar jobs that it replaced.

As robots and AI become more common the prices will drop for this type of machinery which should see a wider adoption.

AI will create a lot of jobs but I do think it will displace more than it creates. 

Administrator · Posted

AI has been "taking jobs" for years. "AI" is being conflated with language processing tools a lot, and while they do use AI, they don't encompass it. Machine learning has been applied to a LOT of things and improved the processes. Most of these email and call center jobs have been using scripts and copy-paste since the '80s, it's natural that the latest in tooling would make those roles redundant, these are jobs which require incredibly little skill and training, which is why very simple language models can so easily replace them, and do their jobs to better results - they're backed by millions of lines of data and learning. While humans remain... human.

• 2 weeks later...

I Asked ChatGPT To Control My Life, and It Immediately Fell Apart

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d93p3/what-happens-when-you-ask-ai-to-control-your-life

Fun read - below are some highlights 😁

After 35 years of living in relative control of my decisions, I had decided to see what would happen if I asked AI to control my life instead. Years of suboptimal performance, both personally and professionally, and numerous failed attempts at self-improvement had convinced me there had to be a better way, and I wondered if the collective knowledge hidden inside OpenAI’s hit tech product could help me. But when I asked Sam Altman’s ChatGPT to become my all-powerful leader, it seemed reticent, at least at first. 

Like me, the AI overlord struggles to fit all of my professional and personal obligations into the day while also making time to ensure my physical and emotional health. The first draft of its schedule asks me to squeeze in both meditation and a dog walk within 30 minutes of waking up at 6:30 a.m., and finish work by 4 p.m., in order to focus on my obligations at home. Another version involves so much self-care that I am only allocated four hours of actual work even though I am scheduled to awake at 6 a.m. 

I sit down to talk with my therapist over Zoom, but find I cannot bring myself to admit that I have relinquished control over certain aspects of my life to artificial intelligence. Increasingly, I find myself more exhausted by the rigor of such a tight schedule than anything else. I ask ChatGPT what to do. “It's understandable to feel exhausted, especially if you haven't accomplished much work,” the robot says. It then tells me to, once again, take a short break, prioritize my tasks, and set a 25-minute timer. 

My own 30-minute lunch break and “relaxation time” runs eight minutes long, and I apologize to ChatGPT when I return. Once reticent to control my life, the robot seems increasingly comfortable with its newfound power. “No problem, these things happen. Just make sure to transition back into your work tasks and focus on the remaining schedule for the day,” ChatGPT says. 

I tell my human boss about my robot boss’ increasingly illogical and borderline abusive demands, and he mercifully gives me permission to end the experiment. Maybe one day the robot boss will be able to understand the emotional minutiae that comes with a dog unexpectedly being covered in dozens of ticks, but today is not that day.

AI is going to make Far more office and “white-collar” jobs irrelevant, then actual “blue collar” jobs. 

Now-a-days, the majority of white collar jobs is Computer use- one of the only things AI can actually do. 

Can AI replace a wheel bearing? Can it clean a toilet, or build a hand hewed custom maple nightstand? No chance. It can’t cut grass, or make a healthy salad. 

Any of you kids worried about AI, dont choose a job where you use excel 😂😂

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

AI is going to make Far more office and “white-collar” jobs irrelevant, then actual “blue collar” jobs. 

Now-a-days, the majority of white collar jobs is Computer use- one of the only things AI can actually do. 

Can AI replace a wheel bearing? Can it clean a toilet, or build a hand hewed custom maple nightstand? No chance. It can’t cut grass, or make a healthy salad. 

Any of you kids worried about AI, dont choose a job where you use excel 😂😂

I agree mostly with this. A huge amount of call centre jobs will disappear along with accounting, maybe even some low level law jobs etc. etc.

However, AI will be used in blue collar jobs too. There's already robots that can cut your lawn for you and most people buy Ikea (or similar) furniture which is probably mostly machine assembled. 

If I had a kid I'd be recommending they pickup a trade like an electrician, plumber or a nurse. Most trades will be pretty hard to replace for the foreseeable future. I don't know what the pay is like for trades in the US but they pay pretty well here and are well protected.

14 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I agree mostly with this. A huge amount of call centre jobs will disappear along with accounting, maybe even some low level law jobs etc. etc.

However, AI will be used in blue collar jobs too. There's already robots that can cut your lawn for you and most people buy Ikea (or similar) furniture which is probably mostly machine assembled. 

If I had a kid I'd be recommending they pickup a trade like an electrician, plumber or a nurse. Most trades will be pretty hard to replace for the foreseeable future. I don't know what the pay is like for trades in the US but they pay pretty well here and are well protected.

Kinda agree, Lets un-pack this though. Like how would “AI” assemble a tv stand in someones apartment?

I have a roomba vacuum, it works great for about 65% of vacuuming. Still have to use my dyson. I get that someone could put a robot down on a square patch of grass, but who will edge? Sweep up the cuttings? Prune the tree? what if there is a lawn gnome?

The only jobs that are in danger are ones that require zero problem solving and are pure data transmission- whether thats a burger order at mcdonalds, or inputting this weeks timecard.

Private sector trades tend to make pretty good money and benefits, union even more-so.

Shit maybe in the future an “illegal” immigrant that picks strawberries might be more valuable than someone with a masters in accounting 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Kinda agree, Lets un-pack this though. Like how would “AI” assemble a tv stand in someones apartment?

I have a roomba vacuum, it works great for about 65% of vacuuming. Still have to use my dyson. I get that someone could put a robot down on a square patch of grass, but who will edge? Sweep up the cuttings? Prune the tree? what if there is a lawn gnome?

The only jobs that are in danger are ones that require zero problem solving and are pure data transmission- whether thats a burger order at mcdonalds, or inputting this weeks timecard.

Private sector trades tend to make pretty good money and benefits, union even more-so.

Shit maybe in the future an “illegal” immigrant that picks strawberries might be more valuable than someone with a masters in accounting 😂😂😂

Well true, those sorts of jobs won't disappear any time soon, although with all these call centre and accountants out of a job, there might be more competition on airtasker to build Ikea furniture at your home 🤣

There are already robots that do the lawn though. Check out the Husqvarna robots, they cost around $5k+ for the good ones though. You map out the cutting area (including gnomes) and every day it comes out and ever so slightly trims the grass. Pretty awesome devices but for rich people right now.

But overall, I agree that it will be a lot of white collar jobs.

On the theme of AI overlords. I think I just got a response from an AI bot on Etsy 5 minutes ago. I hadn't received an item, marked that I wanted a refund in my case and gave a short description of the issue. Not even 30seconds later the case was closed with a three paragraph reply telling me I would receive a full refund and sorry for the inconvenience etc. etc. Probably the best customer service I've ever had and I'm pretty confident that was an AI chatbot 😁

17 hours ago, Brickman said:

On the theme of AI overlords. I think I just got a response from an AI bot on Etsy 5 minutes ago. I hadn't received an item, marked that I wanted a refund in my case and gave a short description of the issue. Not even 30seconds later the case was closed with a three paragraph reply telling me I would receive a full refund and sorry for the inconvenience etc. etc. Probably the best customer service I've ever had and I'm pretty confident that was an AI chatbot 😁

Absolutely, it was an AI bot that refunded you. Also, in the future which might be 10 years from now, or 25, but in the future self-driving vehicles will come to fruition. That also means that "chores" such as mowing the grass will be done by self-driving mowers, which are absolutely a thing NOW - and for @MrWunderful yes, they will mow around lawn gnome 🙂

• Like 1