IGNORED

Game Debate #147: Super Mario Bros. 3

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 5/10 - Not as good as Super Mario World
    • 4/10 - ...hell, not even as good as Super Mario Bros. 2? What is this shit?
    • 3/10 - ...hell, it's not even as good as the "real" Super Mario Bros. 2 game.
    • 2/10 - ...because regular Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't a real Mario game.
    • 1/10 - ...no wait, it IS a real Mario game.
    • 0/10 - ...but it's no Treasure game.
    • -1/10 - ...hell, it's not even some shit-ass Sachen game.
    • -2/10 - ...and I don't even know what a Sachen game "is."
    • -3/10 - ...but seriously, it's SO much worse than Super Mario World.
    • -4/10 -... I mean, a tanooki suit? Who the fuck are you kidding, Nintendo?
    • -5/10 - ...what's next? A cat suit? Is Estil making your games now? Crazy cat people games.
    • Never seen it, because I'm Gloves
    • Never seen it, never will, because I'm JamesRobot and I've never played a game that came out after 1988.

I am so blessed to have gotten to be there and remember the magic surrounding the hype up for that game and of course The Wizard movie (to this day I refuse to watch the Academy Awards since it was snubbed for Best Picture...it didn't even get ONE nomination as a matter of fact!)!  I'll never forget getting my very own copy for my 11th birthday in 1991!  And I even mail ordered the Nintendo Power guide too!

17 minutes ago, RH said:

Obviously this was a joke but I can’t recall, did we legit rank this game? I feel like we did.

Nope. I bet it would easily run away with a 9.8 average. 

By my count there have been threads for SMB1 (#100), 2 (126), Yoshi's Island (116), 64 (16), Kart 64 117), Paper (134), TTYD (120), Sunshine (8), Galaxy (19), 3D World (145), and Odyssey (79). 

Editorials Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Eww how is Link to the Past the top rated game?  That’s a travesty. I don’t remember if I voted in that poll but I’d like to change my vote to 0 please.

Sorry, gerrymandering the votes is good for a lifetime ban

Having bad opinions about LttP is also good for a lifetime ban 😏

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Estil said:

The Wizard movie (to this day I refuse to watch the Academy Awards since it was snubbed for Best Picture...it didn't even get ONE nomination as a matter of fact!)!

Wow! 

I can't believe The Wizard wasn't nominated for a single oscar! Do they even appreciate good movies? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, Sumez said:

Wow! 

I can't believe The Wizard wasn't nominated for a single oscar! Do they even appreciate good movies? 

I know really!  It didn't get nominated for any married, divorced, or (in my case) widowed Oscars either!!  They even snubbed Smokey And The Bandit for Best Picture!

Edited by Estil

On 4/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, MagusSmurf said:

how could they fail to recognize the power glove scene as an all-time iconic film moment

I think where the AVGN made his mistake was expecting it to work with all games.  I mean I spent what was then my life savings on that NES Advantage so I could play like Captain N!  Some "advantage"!  Maybe others are at home with using a joystick but the regular controller works much better for me.

I never owned a Power Glove but for games made for it...was it a better game if you use the Glove instead of a regular controller?  What about steering with Rad Racer or punching in Punch-Out?  As long as you set up and program the Glove correctly?

On 4/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Eww how is Link to the Past the top rated game?  That’s a travesty. I don’t remember if I voted in that poll but I’d like to change my vote to 0 please.

Believe it or not my "mother" ridiculed me for playing that game saying Link looked like he "had pigtails"!  And thought the intro part of Super Metroid (where you explore abandoned old Tourian) "looks boring"...I swear on my cat's life I am NOT late April Fooling.

I loved SM3 as a kid. I remember when SMW came out, we were playing it after midnight (I believe we opened the SNES on Christmas morning). It was exciting. 
Then we went to bed.

After waking up, there were several more hours of play and while I liked the game, I remember having a moment of realization where I internally compared SMW to SM3. I was a little disappointed because the turtles slid out of their shells when you jumped on them. I didn’t like that the pirhana plant jumped out of the pipes now. Also, I didn’t like that the “brick” blocks were gone and were wholly replaced with rotating blocks. Lastly, I really disliked the raccoon suit was gone and didn’t think the feather/cape was an adequate replacement. 

At some point there was a lava stage with traditional style SM3 style pirhana plants. I had a nostalgic affinity for this stage and it gave me hope that maybe the bricks and raccoon suit were hiding somewhere in the game. But nope, I 100 percented the game and not only did we not get the missing stuff, but also the map turned pale and ugly and all the enemies turned into depressing monsters. 

Nowadays, I can appreciate SMW, but for a good number of years, I always compared it to SM3. To me, SM3 was the masterpiece template. I wish there was a version of SMW that included the stuff that was missing from SM3 and made it whole.

Edited by phart010
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Estil said:

Believe it or not my "mother" ridiculed me for playing that game saying Link looked like he "had pigtails"!  And thought the intro part of Super Metroid (where you explore abandoned old Tourian) "looks boring"...I swear on my cat's life I am NOT late April Fooling.

Awkward The Office GIF

1 hour ago, G-type said:

spacer.png

Mario 2 looks better than Mario 3...

The black outlines look like trash.

I've said that for 30 years.  When SMB2 popped up also in the general period was that first cartoon that arrived.  They made the art of that cartoon match the game obviously.  So then you have SMB3 push out 1990, and it was jarring to say the least.  Sure the stages were prettier, more variety, more to see and do, just more depth and it continued the use of the carry and throw mechanics too.  What sucked was singularly the Mario/Luigi/Princess/Toad art... wtf.  You had this 8bit living cartoon style model, then you get this beady eyed simple looking black lined cheap looking mess, a real downgrade.  To go from nice detail to more generic just didn't work, not sure what the hell they were thinking and I doubt anyone has in print ever asked them either as I've not seen it explained.

The Super Mario Bros. 3 sprites were most likely completed first. Remember SMB3 was released in Japan in 1988, the same year as the American Super Mario Bros. 2. Mario and Peach's sprites in the American SMB2 appear to be newer, touched-up versions of the SMB3 sprites.

Super Mario Bros. 3 Influenced the Design of Super Mario Bros. 2 — Thrilling Tales of Old Video Games

Here's an interesting article about it.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

I like the "flat" look of Mario and other sprites in SMB3. Always did. I noticed it and liked it back in the day. It's a certain art style. It doesn't have to be to your taste but that doesn't make it bad.

Think about cartoons. Do you like the CGI in kids' animation now? There is higher fidelity and more colors in the NSMB sprites 
9D0D3A79-5826-4550-AB48-F826A105A33A.jpeg.ffb71cb76964c5a0f187e43e3d4e67c5.jpeg

but I would 1000% prefer a 2D game that looks like the old illustrations, flat colors with thick outlines. 
D7FAE35C-C7DD-43D7-B509-D33911D6FB26.jpeg.7d2e93daa6f1637c6cca10d8f8360973.jpeg

Edited by Link
  • Like 1