IGNORED

Movie Debate #116: Hook

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

I have to admit that it's been more than 15 years since I've seen the movie...but I remember liking it well enough. It had ups and downs for sure but I think its heart was in the right place and the casting is just absolutely boss. Mr. Smee was always a personal favorite character and Bob Hoskins does a bang-up job with it.

My gut instinct gives it a 6 but that's going purely off distant memory. That could go either way if I were to watch it again today.

Edited by Webhead123

• 2 weeks later...

As far as making up sequels for classic fairytales and/or children's books, I don't think you can pull that off much better than Hook does it.

Saying "what if Peter Pan did grow up to become an adult and everything he didn't want" seems like a cliché, but it manages to put a really beautiful spin on the whole mythos, digging into what it actually means to grow up, building new priorities, and even having kids of your own. It's a fun story too, but where the movie really excels is the way it tugs at my heartstrings as it hits something that I think is close to home for a lot of people. It's the kind of movie that I've found new qualities in every time I rewatched it as I grew older, and as an adult I don't think I'm ever able to watch it without shedding a tear or two.

It's funny, because it's generally considered a creative failure and one of Spielbergs worst movies, especially for that era. And looking into what people dislike about it, I can see what they mean. And yeah, it's hamfisted as hell, and most of the stuff with Tinkerbell could have been cut out easily. But powered by an amazing production quality for its age, and really brilliant performances by Dustin Hoffman, Bob Hoskins, and Robin Williams, it's really hard for me not to love the movie in spite of its flaws.

9/10

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Okay, the lesson here is that I have been a disaster at restarting this debate line.  I trusted my memory, and it failed me three times (and counting).  Clearly I have to reference my documentation going forward.

I'm sure I'm wrong but I also felt like... we might have rated Fellowship of the Ring in the past.

But may be not.

• Disagree 1

• 2 months later...