IGNORED

Movie Debate #116: Hook

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

This is the rare kid film I liked more as an adult than as a kid, or at least, respected it.

The 90s was the era of latch-key kids and driven fathers (and some times mothers).  Very poingent.

I'm not who thought this up, and what executive thought it sounded like a good idea, but I'm glad this got green-lit.  Robin Williams was perfect, and so was everyone else in the start studded cast.

A vote of 9 does feel rather high, but I voted off of the descriptions for the votes.  Yes, I feel like this is a movie "everyone should watch".  I mean, you might want to do it with your kids just to have a reason, or if you grew up back then but missed it in the early 90s.

It's not the best film world.  Not by a long shot.  But it is a really great film.

9. Loved it as a kid and love it now. Great cast and just an all around fun movie with some great themes and messages. Spielberg always has a magic touch with these kinds of movies. 

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Here's a fact for ya, the guy that played the original Michael Myers in Halloween directed this, as well as Major Payne. 

He directed major Payne but this one is done by Spielberg. I think he helped write the screenplay, so that might be what you’re thinking of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

9. Loved it as a kid and love it now. Great cast and just an all around fun movie with some great themes and messages. Spielberg always has a magic touch with these kinds of movies. 

He directed major Payne but this one is done by Spielberg. I think he helped write the screenplay, so that might be what you’re thinking of.

Oh my apologies!  Yeah I must have confused it then.  I know he's a director and worked on it in some capacity.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0145309/

On 3/24/2023 at 6:36 PM, Tulpa said:

Weird movie when you get down to it, but everything about the Peter Pan mythos is weird, so it fits right in.

I think the original play was about a mother who lost her son and always imagined him as a boy who never grew up and was always with her somehow….. I think.

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I think the original play was about a mother who lost her son and always imagined him as a boy who never grew up and was always with her somehow….. I think.

There you have it folks - Wormy, On Hook -

...I just couldn't resist. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

You got a link to the synopsis or a title (if it’s not Hook)? I can’t find anything.