IGNORED

ridding paper of smoke smell and an eBay question

final fight cd

I bought an item on eBay.  The item, particularly the manual, smells like cigarette smoke.  I read about home remedies online, such as baking soda or cat liter, and was wondering if anybody successfully used one of these to rid a paper item of smoke.

Random eBay question time.
This is in regards to a different item - a couple page magazine.  It was shipped in a bubble mailer between 2 pieces of cardboard.  It barely weighed anything, but the printed eBay label says it weighed 2 lbs.  I looked up the estimated shipping cost online, based on the weight and shipping service, and it came out to exactly what I paid for shipping.   But why overcharge for shipping if it doesn't benefit the seller? Is it a convenience thing? Like, if you are selling a bunch of shit online it is just easier to do a blanket shipping cost on most items?   Or is there a way to cheat the system and actually net a couple extra dollars for each item sold?  I just want to satisfying my curiosity on this one.  

I put all my musty smelling stuff in a brown paper bag, then place that bag inside of a Tupperware filled with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

Leave it sit for a couple days and the smell is gone with no other lingering odors.

make sure you remove the cause of the must first though. If you have mold then you won’t remove the smell permanently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Count said:

I leave my stuff in the garage for a few days and that seems to help. Do not use dryer sheets, I have games that have been shipped that way and they still strongly smell like Bounce and a hint of cigarette smoke five years later. 

Fixed that.  I’ve experienced this as well, and Bounce sheets just mask the smoke.  It does not take it away.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
On 3/20/2023 at 8:29 PM, The Count said:

I leave my stuff in the garage for a few days and that seems to help. Do not use dryer sheets, I have games that have been shipped that way and they still strongly smell like Bounce five years later. 

The trick for dryer sheets is to use a used one, not a new one.  Still has enough scent in it but not an overpowering one.

I helped a guy at the grocery store from having Bounce-tasting bread; he was about to put them in the same grocery bag at self checkout!

• Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:51 AM, fcgamer said:

Could you use cat litter for this? Never tried it on paper, but it works great for eliminating odors 

I’m currently using baking soda.  From what I read baking soda works best if in contact with the source.  While the front cover and back cover seem to have little to no smell the inside pages still smell like shit.  But I do have activated charcoal coming my way which hopefully works better.  

at this point I should have just returned the damn item and left negative feedback. Way too much hassle to deal with and when all said and done the item will likely still have a hint of a smoke smell. 

11 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I’m currently using baking soda.  From what I read baking soda works best if in contact with the source.  While the front cover and back cover seem to have little to no smell the inside pages still smell like shit.  But I do have activated charcoal coming my way which hopefully works better.  

at this point I should have just returned the damn item and left negative feedback. Way too much hassle to deal with and when all said and done the item will likely still have a hint of a smoke smell. 

Did the seller mention anything about a smoke smell or a fresh smell in the listing? Was the smoke smell obvious from unboxing, or only after giving the manual a big whiff?

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Did the seller mention anything about a smoke smell or a fresh smell in the listing? Was the smoke smell obvious from unboxing, or only after giving the manual a big whiff?

It's not on a seller to disclose it, unless a buyer asks if the item comes from a smoke free home. Smokers are blind to "smoke smell", it's just normal for them.

Edited by Mega Tank

2 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Smokers are blind to "smoke smell", it's just normal for them.

This is absolutely the case, and can be for non-smokers as well if they're exposed to it on a consistent enough basis.  Everyone in my house growing up smoked (including my brother, once he was of age) except me, and I honestly didn't notice it or realize how obnoxious it was until a while after I moved out.  To this day, if I'm visiting a smoker's house, I'll notice at first, then fairly quickly become nose blind again, and continue to be so until a few hours after I've left or I've completely changed my clothes and then come back to what I was wearing.

Until eBay makes "Smoke Free Home/Environment" a required checkbox for description, stuff like this will happen unless it's volunteered by the seller or asked about by the buyer.

Just now, Nugfish said:

I have a bunch of XBOX Magazines that have strong cigarette odor that have been airing out for a couple months but are still pretty bad. Do you just pour the baking soda all over the pages or do you enclose it in a tub with a cup of baking soda?

I think either will work, but keeping it enclosed with the baking soda seems to be the part of the method that makes it work the best, regardless of whether you're putting the item in direct contact with the odor absorbing material or not.  I would think that putting the item/items in direct contact would provide a better result for the smell, but could also lead to other issues related to being able to get the odor absorbing material back off completely, and without damaging what you're de-stinking.

If you're ok with having to go through every page and crevice of a book/manual and carefully wipe away the powder, as well as being willing to accept any and all scratches either the wiping or the material leaves on the pages while being removed, then go for direct contact, otherwise just put in several small containers with the material in them, swap them out and turn the pages in any books/magazines regularly for best and safest effect.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

@darkchylde28 @Mega Tank : I just asked due to the above statement. Seems pretty harsh imo but what do I know.

40 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

nothing was said about the smoke smell in the description.  i 100% would have not have bought the item had it been mentioned.  i did leave neutral feedback because i choose to keep the item.  the smell was apparent from opening the shipping the box.  

1 minute ago, Mega Tank said:

What is harsh about what I said?

I think he's talking about the lengths non-smokers and/or those sensitive to smoke have to go through to eliminate the odors.  Honestly, leaving whatever it is alone for a while in an open area can and will eliminate the odor just through time.  Regardless of how sensitive someone is to smoke, after enough time passes, the odor will dissipate on its own.  Going the route with dryer sheets, newspaper, baking soda, etc., will just expedite the process.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

i think he was referring to me leaving negative feedback as harsh.

If so, I think you might have been a little on the harsh side.  If you'd been able to smell it through the packaging and it coming from a smoker's residence or been previously owned by a smoker not being mentioned, yes, absolutely go for the negative.  However, if it only became apparent once the box and/or packing materials were opened, that's much less severe, and I'd have said to go with neutral at worst for the oversight.

I've received eBay purchases in both conditions, so I know how severe the difference between the two are, with those smelling through the box needing active odor removal while those only stinking up the inside of the box usually being okay after being left out in the open on a shelf somewhere after a day or two (and some sort of quick wipedown with a wet wipe, Lysol wipe, etc., if the material will allow for it).  I think a lot of it may come down to just how sensitive a person is to it--do you just not like the smell, or are you actively allergic or made ill by it?  If it's the former, it's annoying, but if it's the latter, it's something that should be asked about every time, just like folks with allergies do at restaurants.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

What is harsh about what I said?

The statement the OP made- i.e. giving a negative over a smoke smell if it isn't a required thing and wasn't asked about prior, especially when we don't know if it was just something that a big sniff would pick up, or a smack ya on the face whilst opening the box situation - I felt that a bit harsh, not what you said.

8 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

The statement the OP made- i.e. giving a negative over a smoke smell if it isn't a required thing and wasn't asked about 

That be like selling a pair of gently worn jeans where the original owner had a bowel movement inside of them and left a big skid mark in the crotch area.  And then when the buyer complains the seller says, “But you didn’t ask if the pants had fecal matter in them.”  

Coming from a non smoker and somebody who cannot tolerate the smell of cigarette smoke I feel I shouldn’t have to ask if an item I want to purchase comes from a smoking environment.  I believe that should be mentioned up front.  Just like the buyer of a pair of worn jeans shouldn’t have to ask if somebody dropped a dookie inside of them before making a purchase.  

Edited by final fight cd