IGNORED

VGS St. Patrick's Day Contest 2023 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Pretty close game so far, the top 3 scores are all pretty much neck and neck! Keep it up guys!

I’m actually a bit surprised and unless some of the better gamers are simply holding back, I was certain we’d see 999,999 rollovers.  
Hearing that this was a shorter game and likely marketed to children makes sense.  The whole time I was playing I just thought that it was no wonder I’d never heard of this game.  It was fun for it’s period, but waaaay to simple, which means operators wouldn’t want to keep it around much.  The arcade industry was all about getting those quarters and the faster, the better. But when your first try breaks 300,000 it’s too easy.

Anyway, I might give it another try but I honestly died when I did because I was losing interest and just getting plain sloppy.  If I put my mind too it and just played to stay alive, it’d take a while but I bet I could get way up there, possibly even clipping your 900,000 to do it.  I don’t know if it’s worth it for a shot at $25 or the bragging rights, though.

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

The game ramps up super quickly around the 300000 mark, at least from what I experienced the leprechaun speeds up way fast.  

twin galaxies only has a 600k I believe.  @RH

Oh, wow.  Well they must let it play on "easy" mode for the first through cycles. I didn't count but it seemed like there might have been 5-6  stages and with each cycle, it didn't seem like it was getting faster.  I'll keep that in mind, though, and be sure to catch more trees if I play again.  I wonder if it gets faster based off of score or how many stages you play, which is a more typical approach.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, RH said:

Oh, wow.  Well they must let it play on "easy" mode for the first through cycles. I didn't count but it seemed like there might have been 5-6  stages and with each cycle, it didn't seem like it was getting faster.  I'll keep that in mind, though, and be sure to catch more trees if I play again.  I wonder if it gets faster based off of score or how many stages you play, which is a more typical approach.

Im not sure either, maybe he just goes directly for you instead of getting faster, all i know is i tend to lose my lives, if i don't do something stupid, after the 300k mark.....

Alright, new high for me.

Score: 356,260

I had to experiment to see how this game works.  It's actually easy to strategize but once the Lep goes into "heat seak" mode, it's almost a game of luck.  I have literally bee-lined to the pot at 300k, and once his play style changed, it was impossible to get to the pot.  I had a straight-shot, one direction with the Lep just one sprite space behind.  He was on me, and stepping with me, and then boom, one frame click later, he was on top of me.  I felt cheated.

I'm not sure how anyone could get 600k beyond getting super lucky or something.  I even had the pot spawn once behind the house and I tried to go around it, but ended up hitting the house and getting killed by the Lep, which is bad design.  I also saw the Lep once pick up the pot and then directly drop it ON the house.  I don't use the teleports, but I do use the screen wrap-around doors.

Anyway, I really think the cut-off point is closer to 330,000, or it get's more and more difficult at 300,000.  I was tracking fine at 300,000 for about 3 level so long as I kept my strats in play for each level, and I just started going straight for the pot and ignoring the trees.

The forest Kells, though, is brutal.  With a virtual wall around the entire screen, you really do need to get lucky.  In the end, what did me in is I decided to use the houses to try and run away and keep distance from the green guy.  Well, it turns out you can only use them once per stage.  I didn't know that.  I ran straight into one and then boom, dead.  I had time and there's no way the leprechaun caught up with me, but by the time I realized I wasn't warping, it was too late.

This game is a fun little distraction.  I'd like to take 1st but I just don't know if I have the time to dedicate/waste to this any more.  Good job @Jeevan.  I'm impressed.

image.png.451e6fece8a535337932bb71426786e1.png

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
On 3/23/2023 at 5:44 AM, RH said:

Actually, @ZeldaFreak, have you verified that this game rolls over, or does it just stop (or possibly even glitch) after 999,999?

I didn't actually, no, I wasn't sure what would happen. Evidently it looks like it would be very difficult to get to that point though, haha.

Anyway, very well done on the scores so far everyone! Only a couple days left in the contest, so get them scores in!

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

I'd much rather post this tomorrow but my gut tells me I'd forget.  That'd suck.

Score: 386,050

image.jpeg.aaa5aef958750b231214a7d27c54ba6b.jpeg

GG, I don't have time between work and werewolf, and i really don't wanna play that dreadful game again 😆.  I will just donate whatever I don't win to riley children's hospital myself.

This game is really painful haha.