IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

#65 - At the Gates - Blinded by Fear (1995)

The first of the Gothenburg big three.  Obviously they have a smaller library to work with then the other two, and their best album, Slaughter of the Soul, would probably rank as mid tier for me with either of those other bands.  But it is a very good album, with some great tracks.

Unfortunately their reformation has been a bit of a dud, and I'm not super high on The Haunted either.  But we'll always have the early stuff.

Honorable mentions: Slaughter of the Soul, At War With Reality

Editorials Team · Posted

Okay, I think this catches me up:

#64: August Burns Red - Meddler (2009)

(only seeing a remix upload on YT)

This song makes me want to headbang my head through the fucking wall.  Or maybe just smash some shit.  In the best possible way.  Plus you know it's a good song when your buddy blows his ACL in the pit to it.

Honorable mentions: Marianas Trench, Empire, Composure

Editorials Team · Posted

#63: Machine Head - Locust (2011)

For many years Machine Head was one of those bands I "knew of" but had never bothered to actually listen to.  I'm sure we all have those.  Metal's a big scary world, and none of us have the unlimited time needed to absorb all of it.

So, when I went to a metal festival, where Machine Head was on the bill, I had zero expectations.  Or any idea of what to expect, really.

They killed it.

Not only are they a phenomenal live band, but I later learned that they were supporting what turned out to be their best album.  And they played their best song.  I was so impressed I bought the CD from their merch booth, something I never do, so that I could jam it on the 8 hour drive home.

Honorable mentions: Davidian, I Am Hell, Is There Anybody out There

Editorials Team · Posted

#62: Septicflesh - A Great Mass of Death (2011)

When Communion came out and created waves within the metal community, I assumed (based on the band's name) that it had to be some sort of brutal tech death sorta thing, and blind bought it.  Suffice it to say, I was pretty surprised.

I used to rock these albums out on our patio just to befuddle and torture our neighbors after they'd keep us up all night with weekday parties.  Fun stuff.

I'm also 100% sure this is Greece's only entry in my list, but it's a hell of an entry.

Honorable mentions: Vampire of Nazareth, Annubis

On 3/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Okay, I think this catches me up:

#64: August Burns Red - Meddler (2009)

(only seeing a remix upload on YT)

This song makes me want to headbang my head through the fucking wall.  Or maybe just smash some shit.  In the best possible way.  Plus you know it's a good song when your buddy blows his ACL in the pit to it.

Honorable mentions: Marianas Trench, Empire, Composure

On 3/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

#63: Machine Head - Locust (2011)

For many years Machine Head was one of those bands I "knew of" but had never bothered to actually listen to.  I'm sure we all have those.  Metal's a big scary world, and none of us have the unlimited time needed to absorb all of it.

So, when I went to a metal festival, where Machine Head was on the bill, I had zero expectations.  Or any idea of what to expect, really.

They killed it.

Not only are they a phenomenal live band, but I later learned that they were supporting what turned out to be their best album.  And they played their best song.  I was so impressed I bought the CD from their merch booth, something I never do, so that I could jam it on the 8 hour drive home.

Honorable mentions: Davidian, I Am Hell, Is There Anybody out There

August Burns Red drummer (Matt Greiner) is an absolute machine and they may have the best breakdowns of any band. Saw them live locally in a very small college bar (Park St. Patio - only about 100 people or so in attendance) in the early 2010s and they were fantastic. 

For Machine Head, my favorite song of theirs has always been Now I Lay Thee Down.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#61: Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge (1999)

Remember when that 3rd album was supposed to come out back in like 2006?  These guys are worse than Jari Maenpaa, George RR Martin, and Patrick Rothfuss combined.

Also, unless I'm misremembering, I believe @guitarzombie has opened for these guys.

Honorable mentions: Stabwound, Diminished to B

Editorials Team · Posted

#60: Lorna Shore - Pain Remains I (2022)

The unlikeliest love song on the list?  This one made waves when it dropped, and instantly made me a fan.  I'll be seeing them later this year with (hopefully) @Murray and @JamesRobot when they open for Gojira and Mastodon.  That's a tough gig, with two very different types of fans, so we'll see if they shine.  I like the odds.

Honorable mentions: To the Hellfire, Pain Remains III

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#61: Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge (1999)

Remember when that 3rd album was supposed to come out back in like 2006?  These guys are worse than Jari Maenpaa, George RR Martin, and Patrick Rothfuss combined.

Also, unless I'm misremembering, I believe @guitarzombie has opened for these guys.

Honorable mentions: Stabwound, Diminished to B

Not a bad memory, you're thinking of Amorphis, but I DO know these guys personally.  In fact Sami did a guest solo on our record we just put out a couple of weeks ago.  Muhammed told me personally they lost money on the last Summer Slaughter tour in 2009 because of bus issues.  Hates Relapse and they're 'contracted' to release one last record with them.  Dudes a mechanical engineer and is working for Mercedes now.  He made the smarter choice, but I'd say never say never.

Edited by guitarzombie

Editorials Team · Posted

#59: Kamelot - When the Lights Are Down (2005)

One thing I've kinda noticed here is the lack of traditional power metal in this list.  Which isn't to say I don't like the stuff: I've owned the entire catalog for Jag Panzer, owned stuff from Avantasia, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, and many many others.  But it's not usually my bread and butter.  And I haven't listened to a ton of it in the last 10 years (hence why Sabaton will not appear in this list).

Mid-era Kamelot represents the stuff that does connect with me.  They were at their peak with the release of The Black Halo, which was shortly followed by One Cold Winter's Night, one of the greatest live metal albums of all time.

It's the perfect mix of heavy, fast, melodic,and catchy.

Unfortunately the next album was a step down, and then a few years later Khan retired, and here we are years later and I can't be bothered to listen to their new stuff.  But I still rock this album.

Honorable mentions: Edge of Paradise, Karma, Ghost Opera

Editorials Team · Posted

#58: Acid Bath - Tranquilized (1993)

YouTube - No uploads?

Have I mentioned that Alice in Chains is my all-time favorite musical act?  Only a million times?

I'm not going to drawn exact parallels between AiC and Acid Bath, but it's pretty damn close.  If their was one act in the metal world that wore that influence on their  sleeves, it was these guys.

I selected this track off their legendary debut album because it's feels so punishingly groovy, but really you just need to listen to the full album.

Honorable mentions: Scream of the Butterfly, Paegen Live Song

Editorials Team · Posted

#57: Sikth - Bland Street Bloom (2006)

The original mathcore weirdos.  It's hard to understand just how ahead of their time these guys were.  And then they broke up, saw their successors conquer the scene, and then reformed hoping to capture a piece of the pie.  They've been moderately successful doing that, but I still think this second album represents their best work, with the absolutely perfect opener.

Honorable mentions: Vivid, Flogging the Horses

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#57: Sikth - Bland Street Bloom (2006)

The original mathcore weirdos.  It's hard to understand just how ahead of their time these guys were.  And then they broke up, saw their successors conquer the scene, and then reformed hoping to capture a piece of the pie.  They've been moderately successful doing that, but I still think this second album represents their best work, with the absolutely perfect opener.

Honorable mentions: Vivid, Flogging the Horses

Missed opportunity, shoulda made 'em fifthy-sikth.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#56: Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows (2011)

OG was one of those also-ran melodic death metal bands floating around in the 2000s.  Couldn't really make a name for themselves, couldn't really bust through to any sort of press or acclaim.

That changed with New World Shadows.  Their identity solidified,their songwriting became supercharged, and they released one of the greatest albums the genre has ever seen.  And they've never looked back.

I love this song in particular because it not only offers their trademarked layers of atmosphere and distinctive guitars, but then adds in the wonderful back and forth clean vocals with Dan Swano.  Gives me chills.

Honorable mentions: Soul Journeys, Nova Flame, The Sonic Sign, The Unknowing

Editorials Team · Posted

#55: Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade (2002)

Is this low-key the most influential metal album of the 21st century?  Certainly one of them.

Some may balk at that claim, but when looking at the entire metal and hard rock scene today you can see an incredible number of influences that trace their way back to early metalcore, and this album in particular.  Of course KSE themselves were heavily influenced by bands like In Flames, but that's a story for another day.

Honorable mentions: Rose of Sharyn, Life to Lifeless, Reject Yourself

• Love 1

@Reed Rothchild This KSE record felt like the soundtrack to my life right after high school. Stoked to finally see them, hope they pop up further in the list. 

Life to lifeless with one of the heaviest fucking intros/verses ever. 

Like early Jesse more than later Jesse, although he still slams on the newer stuff. Howard is my favorite, however I havent kept up with him  

When I had a girl that was going to get into my vehicle as a young 20-something musician, if I wanted to display how truly hardcore I was I would have “Darkness falls” cranked up, ready to start right when I started the vehicle because of how aggressive the intro is (yes, like a true douche). Like I was bumping it so hard going to pick them up or whatever I didnt realize how obnoxious it was because I was so metal. 

Anyways, music nostalgia hits way more visceral than games. Thanks. 

Editorials Team · Posted
36 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

hope they pop up further in the list. 

They will not: one entry per band.

There are many many KSE songs that could have been here though.  All the songs I mentioned, Fixation, In Due Time, End of Heartache, maybe the greatest metal cover in history with Holy Diver...

But if I didn't limit things you would have seen certain groups dominate this list, and that didn't seem very fun.

38 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And, funny that you say that.  I once drove a girl back to my hometown and back, and End of Heartache is one of the albums I played to be cool and hardcore and yet still accessible.  She did later sleep with me, just saying!

You dirty dog! I never knew if got any play from being metal, always figured it was the recycled sloppy  version of why georgia by john mayer on my Martin acoustic,  early 2000’s best panty dropper. 

And damn you and your reasonable list requirements!

Edited by MrWunderful

Moderator · Posted
29 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

You dirty dog! I never knew if got any play from being metal, always figured it was the recycled sloppy  version of why georgia by john mayer on my Martin acoustic,  early 2000’s best panty dropper. 

And damn you and your reasonable list requirements!

Sounds like a pity thing to make you stop playing a bad song!

3494725B-EDD3-4B2D-9C3E-619BE5AABB44.jpeg

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#54: Ice Nine Kills - Someone Like You (April Fools)

We've covered of lot of brutality and sick shredding so far.  Now we're gonna mix up and give a shout out to a few things that often get overlooked in the world of heavy metal: sheer emotion, and lyricism.

If there's any song on this list that makes me feel something, it's this one.  You can really hear Spencer's heartbreak and depression just flowing out of him with those haunting vocals.  And the energy in that chorus... powerful, powerful stuff.  You really relate to him, which lets the listener really engage and connect with the music.  Again, something that we don't get very often, which makes this stand out all the more.  You know how I like to beat the dead horse on how open-minded and tolerant and eager I am about to explore the different far corners of the metal world?  I do it so I can discover songs like these.

Honorable mentions: Can't Help Falling In Love, I Don't Want to Live Forever, Animals

Editorials Team · Posted

#54*: Ice Nine Kills - Funeral Derangements (2021)

@MrWunderful mentioned these guys on here once upon a time, and I blew the suggestion off, because I was getting them confused with Body Count or something.  Didn't give it the time of day.

So then I was incredibly surprised when I heard a fantastic song on the radio, tried to guess who it was, and then heard the DJ say "Ice Nine Kills."  And then even further surprised when I learned said song was about the Resident Evil games.

I love what Spencer has been doing for these last few years.  He took his extreme love of horror movies, and turned it into this whole big thing (he did the same thing with books before that).  And he took his love of theater, and infused it into their sound.  So instead of being the straight up metalcore band they used to be once upon a time, they're now... well, honestly I don't know what they are.  Theatercore.  But even that's not right because every song sounds different from one another now.  And I love that.  I love that they each have their own identity.  And I love how Spencer surrounded himself with super talented musicians who can ALSO all sing clean AND brutal vocals.  Genius.  I don't know why other bands haven't done something similar.  So they can actually layer all of the vocals, without relying on a shit ton of backings tracks.

Furthermore, I love this track specifically.  I mean, I could have gone with like 20 different INK songs here, because everything he writes kicks ass, but this one in particular grabs me.  Maybe because Pet Semetary is one of my favorite books of all time.  Maybe because I love the kick ass music video.  Maybe all of the above.

Honorable Mentions: It is the End, The Box, Farewell II Flesh, A Stabbing In the Dark, Rainy Day

• Like 1