IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

#53: Equilibrium: Blut Im Auge (2008)

This is such a strange band, and strange album.  I don't know how in the world to describe it, other than maybe "tropical black folk metal", whatever that may mean.  And I don't mean to conjure the image of something like Alestorm, because these aren't sea shanties.

Whatever it is, I love it.  I've listened to Sagas roughly fourteen million times.  I even made my wife listen to Mana on every road trip.  It was a tradition.  This album is one of my top 25 in the history of metal.

Unfortunately it was also the only album of theirs that I love.  The debut is merely okay, and the subsequent LPs got less and less interesting.  I haven't bothered with the newest ones, which feature an entire new lineup and (supposedly) an entirely new sound.

Honorable mentions: Mana, Prolog Auf Erden

Editorials Team · Posted

#52: Nightwish - The Poet and the Pendulum (2007)

I know most hardcore fans swear by the early Tarja stuff, and I agree that Once had some real bangers on.  But I prefer the really over-the-top symphonic stuff that we started seeing after their first few albums.

Is that sacrilege?  Well, I don't care, because I owned Wishmaster, Century Child and Oceanborn, and I could barely be bothered to listen to them.

Dark Passion Play is fun enough that I even gave my non-metal sister a copy of it, to good results.  And a big part of that is the truly massive opener.  Seriously, this thing is so ridiculous, it might be the single most pompous thing on the entire list.  Even Epica doesn't get this crazy.

Honorable mentions: Ghost Love Score, Nemo, Storytime

Editorials Team · Posted

#51: Mr. Bungle - My Ass Is On Fire (1991)

Arguably the most "metal" of the full Bungle albums, I think Ass is On Fire perfectly encapsulates their chaotic sound.  Mike does his usual crazy things, there's saxophones, sound bites from Blue Velvet... it's basically the whole package.  You can tell bands like SOAD and Korn listened to this album a billion times.

Part of wishes they'd stayed the course with this sound.  But failing that, bands like Dog Fashion Disco did an admirable job carrying that torch.

Honorable mentions: Quote Unquote, Retrovertigo, Carry Stress in the Jaw

On 4/4/2023 at 12:20 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I know most hardcore fans swear by the early Tarja stuff, and I agree that Once had some real bangers on.  But I prefer the really over-the-top symphonic stuff that we started seeing after their first few albums.

Is that sacrilege?  Well, I don't care, because I owned Wishmaster, Century Child and Ocean or, and I could barely be bothered to listen to them.

Dark Passion Play is fun enough that I even gave my non-metal sister a copy of it, to good results.  And a big part of that is the truly massive opener.  Seriously, this thing is so ridiculous, it might be the single most pompous thing on the entire list.  Even Epica doesn't get this crazy.

I liked this album.  She has a good voice.  Wishmaster is the album though. I’m sorry I’m a Tarja guy.  Love those old albums with Tuomas‘ shitty singing and everything.  I thought it was hilarious when  her giant ego demanded she strike out on a solo career but no one let her know that she was actually just a mediocre opera singer in a good situation.

Don’t they have some Dutch chick or something now?

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#51: Mr. Bungle - My Ass Is On Fire (1991)

Arguably the most "metal" of the full Bungle albums, I think Ass is On Fire perfectly encapsulates their chaotic sound.  Mike does his usual crazy things, there's saxophones, sound bites from Blue Velvet... it's basically the whole package.  You can tell bands like SOAD and Korn listened to this album a billion times.

Part of wishes they'd stayed the course with this sound.  But failing that, bands like Dog Fashion Disco did an admirable job carrying that torch.

Honorable mentions: Quote Unquote, Retrovertigo, Carry Stress in the Jaw

I never really actively listened to Mr Bungle‘s catalog but I did listen to an album once on Halloween on LSD.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:20 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Is that sacrilege?  Well, I don't care, because I owned Wishmaster, Century Child and Ocean or, and I could barely be bothered to listen to them.

ya this song rules.

I’m fine with some Dutch chick.

Editorials Team · Posted

#50: Immortal - Withstand The Fall of Time (1999)

The last traditional(ish) black metal song on this list.  The contributions from bands like Emperor and Agalloch don't really fit that bill in my opinion.

I've owned every album Immortal has ever done up through All Shall Fall.  I have an Immortal t-shirt.  I even owned that "I" album. I'm comfortable calling myself a fan.

But there's no question ATHoE is their best album, with the opener being the standout.

Honorable mentions: Sons of Northern Darkness, All Shall Fall, Solarfall

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#49: Architects - Hereafter (2018)

So, here's one that hits me directly in the feels.

One of a pair of songs written in the aftermath of guitarist Tom Searle's death, with his twin brother Dan on the drums.  As a father of identical twins myself, the grief of losing a brother with that sort of shared bond is so overwhelmingly sad to me that I get choked up just thinking about.  

And that translates to a powerful, moving song, with a fitting crushing heaviness to it.  I don't own this album, but I've listened to this single probably 200 times in the last five years.

Honorable mentions: Doomsday

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, Hammerfestus said:

I never really actively listened to Mr Bungle‘s catalog but I did listen to an album once on Halloween on LSD.

Debut = demented clown metal

Disco Volante = ?????????????

California = apocalyptic lounge music

Easter Bunny = thrash

You know, the typical progression of sound

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

#50: Immortal - Withstand The Fall of Time (1999)

The last traditional(ish) black metal song on this list.  The contributions from bands like Emperor and Agalloch don't really fit that bill in my opinion.

I've owned every album Immortal has ever done up through All Shall Fall.  I have an Immortal t-shirt.  I even owned that "I" album. I'm comfortable calling myself a fan.

But there's no question ATHoE is their best album, with the opener being the standout.

Honorable mentions: Sons of Northern Darkness, All Shall Fall, Solarfall

Nice choice.  My go to album is Sons of Northern Darkness.  In my opinion they are light years ahead of their peers.  I was pleasantly surprised by Northern Chaos Gods.  Obviously Abbath leaving was cause for concern but man were there some bangers on there.  I also thought that “I” was good, it just kind of sounded like Abbath started a Motörhead tribute band.

56 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Debut = demented clown metal

Disco Volante = ?????????????

California = apocalyptic lounge music

Easter Bunny = thrash

You know, the typical progression of sound

Oh Yeah it was definitely the debut. Room full of tripping 20 something dudes giggling like little girls.

Editorials Team · Posted

#48: Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine (1995)

One of the most influential groups of the 1990s-today, how many bands of the 2010s and 2020s have a sound that can be traced back to this album in particular?  It's a shit ton.  Hell, they had to invent an entire genre to describe that sound.

And it didn't take long to discover that sound. Because they're all in right from the opener on their second album.  It's amazing to think that this thing came out in 1995, well ahead of it's time, and it perfectly stands the test of time.  There's a reason they frequently use Future Breed Machine to close their sets.

Honorable mentions: Bleed, Clockworks, Catch-thirtythree (pretend it's one really long track)

• Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#47: Ensiferum - Token of Time (2000)

Remember when Ensiferum was like the coolest f'ing thing in the world of metal?  Even after Jari left and they took a slight step down with Victory Songs, these dudes were untouchable for awhile there.  That mystique kinda wore off album by album, but the first LPs will always hold a special place in my heart.

Honorable mentions: Hero in a Dream, Iron, One More Magic Potion

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 10:56 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

#48: Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine (1995)

One of the most influential groups of the 1990s-today, how many bands of the 2010s and 2020s have a sound that can be traced back to this album in particular?  It's a shit ton.  Hell, they had to invent an entire genre to describe that sound.

And it didn't take long to discover that sound. Because they're all in right from the opener on their second album.  It's amazing to think that this thing came out in 1995, well ahead of it's time, and it perfectly stands the test of time.  There's a reason they frequently use Future Breed Machine to close their sets.

Honorable mentions: Bleed, Clockworks, Catch-thirtythree (pretend it's one really long track)

There we go!  My favorite band.  Actually did a lesson video on this and Fredrik helped me tweak a few riffs as well as others on this record.  Super nice guy.  They ALL are.  What other band can say they created a new genre of music?!?! (Although personally, I really can't stand any band that sounds like them).  Kudos to being innovators.

Editorials Team · Posted

#46: Kvelertak - Offernatt (2011)

When this album dropped and created huge waves in the metal scene, I remember thinking "Punk black 'n' roll?  This is gonna be the worst."

Nonetheless, I blind bought it.  Hell, I probably had to import it (note to self: check CD tonight).

And I was blown away.  I'm not a punk guy, but this album is so fun I fell in love.  The tunes are too catchy, too full of fun things, and the sound is too unique and original.  I dare everyone not to enjoy this track.

Honorable mentions: Blodtorst, Mjod

Editorials Team · Posted

The list so far

• Sleep Token - The Summoning
  • Mercenary - The Hours that Remain
  • Shining - Lat Oss Ta Allt Fran Varandra
  • Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots
  • Ayreon - Day 8: School
  • Spiritbox - Circle With Me
  • Skeletonwitch - Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
  • Arch Enemy - Silverwing
  • The Devil Wears Prada - Constance
  • Baroness - Shock Me
  • Dimmu Borgir - Kings of the Carnival Creation
  • Disarmonia Mundi - Kneeling on Broken Glass
  • System of a Down - Aerials
  • Epica - Kingdom of Heaven
  • Testament - The Ritual
  • Parkway Drive - Vice Grip
  • Symphony X - Sea of Lies
  • Cattle Decapitation - Forced Gender Reassignment
  • Sleep - Dragonaut
  • Dissection - Night's Blood
  • Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
  • After the Burial - Berzerker
  • Nevermore - Born
  • Amorphis - Silver Bride
  • Crystal Lake - Apollo
  • Zeal & Ardor - Built on Ashes
  • Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife
  • Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
  • Evergrey - A Touch of Blessing
  • As I Lay Dying - Shaped By Fire
  • Deftones - Diamond Eyes
  • Polyphia - Ego Death
  • Katatonia - Brave
  • Fleshgod Apocalypse - Monnalisa
  • Obscura - Septuagint
  • At the Gates - Blinded by Fear
  • August Burns Red - Meddler
  • Machine Head - Locust
  • Septicflesh - A Great Mass of Death
  • Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge
  • Lorna Shore - Pain Remains
  • Kamelot - When the Lights Are Down
  • Acid Bath - Tranquilized
  • Sikth - Bland Street Bloom
  • Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
  • Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade
  • Ice Nine Kills - Funeral Derangements
  • Equilibrium - Blut Im Auge
  • Nightwish - The Poet and the Pendulum
  • Mr. Bungle - My Ass Is On Fire
  • Immortal - Withstand the Fall of Time
  • Architects - Hereafter
  • Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine
  • Ensiferum - Token of Time
  • Kvelertak - Offernatt 

On 4/9/2023 at 11:31 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

#47: Ensiferum - Token of Time (2000)

Remember when Ensiferum was like the coolest f'ing thing in the world of metal?  Even after Jari left and they took a slight step down with Victory Songs, these dudes were untouchable for awhile there.  That mystique kinda wore off album by album, but the first LPs will always hold a special place in my heart.

Honorable mentions: Hero in a Dream, Iron, One More Magic Potion

Love these guys.  Stopped paying attention for like a decade after Jari left and Victory Songs was weak but Thalassic was awesome.  Love that new clean vocalist.  One of my favorite albums of 2020.

Editorials Team · Posted

#45: Anthrax - A.I.R. (1985)

I do not like Anthrax as much as Metallica and Megadeth.  Full stop, it's not even close.  I think they're a top heavy band, with a lot of songs that don't do it for me.  I say that as someone who's owned a number of the albums.

But those top songs are great.  A.I.R., off their thrashier 1985 album has some great riffage, nice heaviness, and that fantastic breakdown at the end.  This is the song to rock in your car while driving.

Honorable mentions: Madhouse, Bring the Noise

Editorials Team · Posted

#44: Insomnium - Down With the Sun (2009)

Another group of 'nium' Finns.  They rose to prominence with their fantastic 2006 album, but Down With the Sun is the song I find myself returning to more than any others.  Their patented melodic death doom sorta thing is perfected here, and it's exactly the sort of thing I adore. 

There are a few more similar groups that will be coming up shortly.

Honorable mentions: Mortal Share, Drawn to Black

Editorials Team · Posted

#43: Protest the Hero - Spoils (2008)

From @Gloves neck of the woods, these weirdos were absolutely on fire in the 2000s, producing two of my absolute favorite metal albums of all time.  Kezia brings the heavy and the metalcore-inspired ferocity, while Fortress took things in a decidedly avant-garde direction. 

While I don't know if I can pick a favorite between the two albums, for my favorite song I usually land back on Spoils.  It's just such a fun number, overflowing with ideas. I could have gone with a dozen different selections here, but that one always seems to return to the top.

Honorable mentions: No Stars over Bethlehem, Bloodmeat, Blindfolds Aside

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 3/20/2023 at 10:05 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Now, as I previously stated, I love Katatonia.  I once drove six hours to see them with Opeth (who was supporting Sorcerer, which I'm not super high on)

Correction: Opeth was touring for Heritage.  Clearly my brain is working good.