IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

...because why not!

In this Official spin-off from the metalhead thread, I'm going to be painfully self-indulgent for 100 days as I roll out my favorite songs in this niche topic that like 6 different users ( @Brickman @Kguillemette @Hammerfestus @Murray @MrWunderful @CasualCart @guitarzombie ) care about!

A few ground rules:

1. I'm limiting myself to one song per "act." So there will be only one entry from Iron Maiden, but there could be a separate entry from Bruce Dickinson (hypothetically).
  2. I'm not omniscient.  I haven't heard everything, or done a deep dive into everyone's library.  And there isn't time for me to quickly absorb the collected work of Bolt Thrower, so they're not showing up.
  3. I disdain most nu metal, so you're not going to see Disturbed or Korn.
  4. This is obviously one man's list, and it's subject to any of my biases.  So even though I consider myself pretty open minded, with a lot of varied tastes, a few trends will emerge.
  5. I'm excluding hard rock, so in general you won't see stuff like AC/DC or Blue Oyster Cult.  But I do consider some songs by hard rock artists to be metal...
  6. I'll be doing one song per day, pending any interruptions.

Blah, blah, blah.  You get the idea.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#100: Sleep Token - The Summoning

The newest entry on this list.  It will no doubt climb with time.  But for now I'm putting it here while it's still fresh and it's overall impact on me is still fluid.

I love the mix of heavy and melancholic beauty.  I love the funky breakdown.  I love the vocal effects.  I love the atmosphere.  And I love how this song put this group on my radar, because I've jumped into everything they've done since.  These guys are gonna be huge.

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

#99: Mercenary - The Hours that Remain

The title track off the unheralded Danes' fourth album, I don't quite know how to describe the sound.  Power metal?  Melodic death metal?  Progressive?  Thrash?  All of the above?

Unfortunately they never did end up breaking through to larger acclaim, and have endured a semi-hiatus for the last decade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#99: Mercenary - The Hours that Remain

The title track off the unheralded Danes' fourth album, I don't quite know how to describe the sound.  Power metal?  Melodic death metal?  Progressive?  Thrash?  All of the above?

Unfortunately they never did end up breaking through to larger acclaim, and have endured a semi-hiatus for the last decade.

Never heard of these guys but you weren’t kidding. Such a mixture of genres that you can’t even put them in one.

I’m really loving this track so I’ll definitely be having a listen to more of their stuff.

Has been a good start so far. You may only been posting to a small audience but you can at least know that one person is going to walk away with a lot more music on their playlist 😄

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#98: Shining - Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra

Well, here we go.  The most "evil" artist on the list.  I thought about dumping it, but that didn't seem very genuine, as the number of listens I have speak for themselves.

One trend that will emerge is that with black metal I really need things to be "different" in order for the music to resonate with me.  Which is why the genre will have less than a dozen appearances on this list, and why you won't see early Mayhem or Bathory, or anything like that.

Well, with a few tiny exceptions.

This song definitely won't be for everyone.  And you have to be able to look past just how big of detestable shitbag Kvarfort is.  But if you can power through, you'll find one of the very best black metal albums of the 2000s.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well, here we go.  The most "evil" artist on the list.  I thought about dumping it, but that didn't seem very genuine, as the number of listens I have speak for themselves.

One trend that will emerge is that with black metal I really need things to be "different" in order for the music to resonate with me.  Which is why the genre will have less than a dozen appearances on this list, and why you won't see early Mayhem or Bathory, or anything like that.

This song definitely won't be for everyone.  And you have to be able to look past just how big of detestable shitbag Kvarfort is.  But if you can power through, you'll find one of the very best black metal albums of the 2000s.

Feeling kind of meh on this one.  Probably need a closer listen.   I agree with your sentiment about black metal needing something unique with it generally, be that folk, or orchestration, or Vikingness, or jazz or something.  The Trve Kvlt Black metal ist Krieg stuff is generally pretty dull.    About as close as I come is Impaled Nazarene or Immortal.  Does Immortal even count as that stuff?  

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Hammerfestus said:

Feeling kind of meh on this one.  Probably need a closer listen.   I agree with your sentiment about black metal needing something unique with it generally, be that folk, or orchestration, or Vikingness, or jazz or something.  The Trve Kvlt Black metal ist Krieg stuff is generally pretty dull.    About as close as I come is Impaled Nazarene or Immortal.  Does Immortal even count as that stuff?  

Well, kind of, I think.  *Spoiler* Immortal will be showing up later, with an album that I think did stretch their legs a bit.  Not a ton, but a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well, kind of, I think.  *Spoiler* Immortal will be showing up later, with an album that I think did stretch their legs a bit.  Not a ton, but a bit.

I’m pretty intrigued by this.  I know where I’d go with it if I had to pick just one and I’m interested to see how far apart we are.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Enjoyed the music but the dudes voice doesn’t sound that great. Don’t think I’ll continue on with this band.

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm with @Hammerfestus with this one. I agree with both of you that black metal needs something *extra* to bring it over the top. This song just isn't it for me.

Editorials Team · Posted

#97: Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots

Any thrash purists might see this as a controversial call.  Arise or Chaos A.D. are generally considered the definitive works.  Thrash classics.  I don't see i.  I just hear what sounds like Slayer or Testament B-sides.

Roots, on the other hand, brought a unique identity to the table.  This album doesn't sound like anything else out there, and unfortunately it would remain that way with Max Cavalera leaving the band shortly afterwards, leaving it to kinda stand alone in the discography. And nothing the band has done since has been especially noteworthy, with the band's star remaining greatly diminished in the ensuing decades.  When I saw these guys around 2014, it was a tiny bar show, and all I could think about was how far the mighty had fallen.

Still, this is the one album that will always stay in my rotation.

Again, not something that is gonna appeal to everyone.

• Love 1

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#97: Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots

Any thrash purists might see this as a controversial call.  Arise or Chaos A.D. are generally considered the definitive works.  Thrash classics.  I don't see i.  I just hear what sounds like Slayer or Testament B-sides.

Roots, on the other hand, brought a unique identity to the table.  This album doesn't sound like anything else out there, and unfortunately it would remain that way with Max Cavalera leaving the band shortly afterwards, leaving it to kinda stand alone in the discography. And nothing the band has done since has been especially noteworthy, with the band's star remaining greatly diminished in the ensuing decades.  When I saw these guys around 2014, it was a tiny bar show, and all I could think about was how far the mighty had fallen.

Still, this is the one album that will always stay in my rotation.

Again, not something that is gonna appeal to everyone.

Saw them in 2000, funny enough Soulfly was also there.