IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

#80: Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe (2008)

In case it isn't becoming clear by now, much like @Brickman I love, love, love melodic death metal.  I know a lot of metal purists got burned out with the genre in the 2000s as the waves of In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At the Gates imitators flooded the scene, but that just meant there was more cream that could rise to the top.

Scar Symmetry is a beast.  They have so many songs that perfectly marry a rather technical sound with extreme melody.  The best of both worlds in so many ways.  And, unlike many fans, I really like both faces of the band.  Christian gave us their best album, and the song I've selected here, and then the duo of Robert and Lars didn't miss a beat, delivering even more bangers.

In fact, I was super close to selecting one of their openers, which showcases the dual vocals they bring to the table:

Honorable mentions: Morphogenesis, The Anomaly, The Illusionist, The Iconoclast, Ghost Prototype II

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#79: After the Burial - Berzerker (2009)

I love the guitar tone on this album, and this song in particular.  And I love how Trent and Justin play off one another throughout.  I actually got to hang out with them on a couple different occasions on different tours.  They're one of those bands that were "small" enough (at the time) that they would hang out with the crowd during other band's sets, and drink beers with their fans.  If there's one thing I love about core bands, it's there propensity to do that kind of thing.

When Justin passed away a few years later after a significant mental breakdown, it was definitely one of the harder moments I've had, as far as emotional connections to music.  Especially when it hits that close to home.  But I'm happy that they decided to continue on after his passing, and I'm happy to see them continue to earn recognition.

Also, I have no idea why Spotify is saying "Berserker" and 2011 in that thumbnail.

Honorable mentions: Pi, A Steady Decline, Your Troubles, Aspiration

Editorials Team · Posted

#78: Nevermore - Born (2005)

The best song off the Seattle group's best album.  Warrel and Jeff are at their best here.

I didn't mean to do two consecutive groups with untimely deaths among their members, but it just happened to work out that way.  Another sad and unfortunate story.  I was actually supposed to see them live, but they broke up immediately before the show.  And then Warrel passed and that was all she wrote.  Truly unfortunate.

Honorable mentions: Believe in Nothing, Final Product, Acid Words

Editorials Team · Posted

#77: Amorphis - Silver Bride (2009)

Amorphis has an interesting history.  Starting out as a melodic black metal kind of thing, with the marvelous Tales from the Thousand Lakes album, and then morphing into an absolutely wretched hard rock thing where they truly sounded like they had lost their way, before being reborn as some sort of... well, I don't know.  Melodic death and/or prog metal I guess.

But I love that reborn sound.  I love the melodicness, and every album they've done since the switch has been a winner, with I think Skyforger standing the tallest.

Check out the early stuff too, but avoid the early 2000s like the plague.

Honorable mentions: In Hiding, Majestic Beast, Silent Waters

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#76: Crystal Lake - Apollo (2017)

Apologies for consistently running behind and being late on writeups - I've been on single dad mode for 11 days now.

@Skorpintroduced me to these bad boys a few years ago.  One of two Japanese groups on this list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#76: Crystal Lake - Apollo (2017)

Apologies for consistently running behind and being late on writeups - I've been on single dad mode for 11 days now.

@Skorpintroduced me to these bad boys a few years ago.  One of two Japanese groups on this list.

Sick. Thanks, never heard of them!

Editorials Team · Posted

God, why did I agree to play werewolf and do a SNL fantasy draft, and a monthly interview, and watch my kids for two weeks while the wife is in Germany, and work, and do this thing!

#75: Zeal & Ardor - Built on Ashes (2018)

While many of their songs probably don't qualify as "metal", this one clearly does.  I don't have to mention how unique their sound is because it clearly speaks for itself.

Honorable mentions (even if not metal): Devil Is Fine, Golden Liar, Church Burns

• Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#74: Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife (2007)

So, I have an interesting history with A7X. Back when they burst into the scene, achieving some level of infamy with Bat Country and Beast and the Harlot, I was incredibly resistant to it.  Who were these clowns with eyeliner, and grills, and sassy attitudes?  Covered head to toe in outrageous drip?  Not on my watch!  Even if I had to admit that the songs were fast and furious, catchy, and full of virtuoso-levels of guitar.

When the self-titled album came along, and I watched the Afterlife video (for whatever reason), I had a conundrum.  I really didn't want to like it.  I was consciously telling myself not to.  I couldn't deal with the Karen hair, and the swag, and the... I dunno, the whole thing.  The problem was, I DID like it.  A lot.  I wanted to listen to it again and again.

Not long later, I found the album on sale for $6.99, and relented and bought it.  It's an okay album, buoyed by the singles.  But I like the singles.

So I was forced to confront a very simple reality.

I didn't want to like it.  For whatever silly psychological reasons that define the human condition.

But I did like it.  Regardless of everything, it sounded good.  Why would I deny something that sounded good? It didn't make any sense.

Then came the awakening.  Everything was fair game after that.  Lady Gaga song sounds good?  I'm in.  Stupid scenecore band song sounds good?  I'm in.  Hairspray the movie?  I'm in.

I've lived by this philosophy ever since.  Edgelord 22 year old me died that day.

Honorable mentions: Nightmare, Hail to the King, Little Slice of Heaven

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#74: Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife

So, I have an interesting history with A7X. Back when they burst into the scene, achieving some level of infamy with Bat Country and Beast and the Harlot, I was incredibly resistant to it.  Who were these clowns with eyeliner, and grills, and sassy attitudes?  Covered head to toe in outrageous drip?  Not on my watch!  Even if I had to admit that the songs were fast and furious, catchy, and full of virtuoso-levels of guitar.

When the self-titled album came along, and I watched the Afterlife video (for whatever reason), I had a conundrum.  I really didn't want to like it.  I was consciously telling myself not to.  I couldn't deal with the Karen hair, and the swag, and the... I dunno, the whole thing.  The problem was, I DID like it.  A lot.  I wanted to listen to it again and again.

Not long later, I found the album on sale for $6.99, and relented and bought it.  It's an okay album, buoyed by the singles.  But I like the singles.

So I was forced to confront a very simple reality.

I didn't want to like it.  For whatever silly psychological reasons that define the human condition.

But I did like it.  Regardless of everything, it sounded good.  Why would I deny something that sounded good? It didn't make any sense.

Then came the awakening.  Everything was fair game after that.  Lady Gaga song sounds good?  I'm in.  Stupid scenecore band song sounds good?  I'm in.  Hairspray the movie?  I'm in.

I've lived by this philosophy ever since.  Edgelord 22 year old me died that day.

Honorable mentions: Nightmare, Hail to the King, Little Slice of Heaven

I could go on and on about A7X. I was obsessed with them for a period of 3 years. Saw them like 10 times.  My buddy and I were going to get matching skull/wing tattoos like their emblem, until the artist said he refused to do any skull/wing tattoos because of hells angels. RIP to the Rev, a truly talented drummer. Listen to the grove in Scream or Brompton cocktail if you dont believe me. 

And Sidewinder acoustic outro still gives me chills. 

Editorials Team · Posted

Hectic past ten days.  Trying to catch up:

#73: Dream Theater - Pull Me Under(1992)

Im not the biggest Dream Theater guy.  People go wild for them.  I'm not that kind of person.  I certainly enjoy them, and I really like Awake and Images & Words.  But I'm increasingly less gung-ho about the library the further on you go.

This is their only mainstream hit.  And it's a rather great song.  Maybe not a fan favorite, but I think it's their best work.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#72: Evergrey - A Touch of Blessing (2004)

You know who's fucking awesome?  Evergrey.  I first discovered them after running across a promotional copy of Monday Morning Apocalypse in a clearance bin.  Didn't know anything about them, but they looked metal, so I took the leap.

It was a fantastic decision.  I bought their whole library afterwards.

This isn't off their best album (that would be Recreation Day) but it does show off all of their best traits: heavy, super melodic and catchy, fun guitars, little progressive touches.  It's a complete package.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#72: Evergrey - A Touch of Blessing (2004)

You know who's fucking awesome?  Evergrey.  I first discovered them after running across a promotional copy of Monday Morning Apocalypse in a clearance bin.  Didn't know anything about them, but they looked metal, so I took the leap.

It was a fantastic decision.  I bought their whole library afterwards.

This isn't off their best album (that would be Recreation Day) but it does show off all of their best traits: heavy, super melodic and catchy, fun guitars, little progressive touches.  It's a complete package.

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

On 3/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

God, why did I agree to play werewolf and do a SNL fantasy draft, and a monthly interview, and watch my kids for two weeks while the wife is in Germany, and work, and do this thing!

#75: Zeal & Ardor - Built on Ashes (2018)

While many of their songs probably don't qualify as "metal", this one clearly does.  I don't have to mention how unique their sound is because it clearly speaks for itself.

Honorable mentions (even if not metal): Devil Is Fine, Golden Liar, Church Burns

This needs more love in here.  This is an absolutely phenomenal song.  Z&A are firmly black metal in my opinion and their live show is awesome.  This song on the live album gives me feelings.