IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

#20: Dio - Rainbow in the Dark (1983)

One of those seminal songs/albums that was no doubt responsible for most of us getting into metal in the first place.  You hear the title and immediately hear that keyboard melody in your head.

Honorable mentions: Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Don't Talk to Strangers

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Oof Dio at 20. This list is absolutely bonkers 😂

I mean I definitely couldn’t do a list like this but there’s no way I could feel good with Dio at 20.

I mean, if I claimed to listen to Rainbow in the Dark more than the song I have at #19, it would just be a lie that's conforming to what a quote unquote "top metal song" list is supposed to look like.  

I ain't living no lie!  This is 100% authentic 😎

• The title was changed to Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time
4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I mean, if I claimed to listen to Rainbow in the Dark more than the song I have at #19, it would just be a lie that's conforming to what a quote unquote "top metal song" list is supposed to look like.  

I ain't living no lie!  This is 100% authentic 😎

So this is just based off how many times you have listened to a song?

Maybe I’m different but there’s no way number of plays of a song = where I would rank the song. Especially considering I may only discover a band later vs when I was a teenager.

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Brickman said:

So this is just based off how many times you have listened to a song?

Maybe I’m different but there’s no way number of plays of a song = where I would rank the song. Especially considering I may only discover a band later vs when I was a teenager.

No, it's favorites, but the rate I listen to songs is usually a strong indicator.

14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No, it's favorites, but the rate I listen to songs is usually a strong indicator.

Yeah this title change makes more sense now haha.

It was probably just me but I thought you were trying to rank the songs taking in a lot of different factors like you did for your SNES rankings.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#19: Opeth - Bleak (2001)

The metal darling of the 2000s.  I don't really need to say anything about this track (or Blackwater Park in general), because it's all been said already.  This is one of metal's most celebrated albums for a reason.  So I'll just leave us with this wonderful live version that is hopefully new to some of you.

Honorable mentions: Blackwater Park, Demon of the Fall, Ghost of Perdition

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I started a few games lists.  Top 100 games, one per franchise.  Top 100 games you should play (this could be a lot of things).  Top 100 cult classics.

I wasn't happy with any of them.  I think "Reed's 100 favorite games", unordered, is gonna be the best bet.  Lots of great games, some sleepers, and most importantly...

No one crying because Mario 3 isn't high enough or Dragon Age is too high.  As if they would have a better opinion than me 😎

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#19: Opeth - Bleak (2001)

The metal darling of the 2000s.  I don't really need to say anything about this track (or Blackwater Park in general), because it's all been said already.  This is one of metal's most celebrated albums for a reason.  So I'll just leave us with this wonderful live version that is hopefully new to some of you.

Honorable mentions: Blackwater Park, Demon of the Fall, Ghost of Perdition

Another one of my favs.  Kinda bummed the direction they went in.  I love prog stuff but that isn't is.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think "Reed's 100 favorite games", unordered, is gonna be the best bet.  Lots of great games, some sleepers, and most importantly...

No one crying because Mario 3 isn't high enough or Dragon Age is too high.  As if they would have a better opinion than me 😎

Weak! Embrace the eye rolls and outrage you would receive 😆

Dragon Age is a fantastic game, do people not like it? I thought it got like 9/10 on most sites when it was released.

Editorials Team · Posted

#18: Blind Guardian - And the Story Ends (1995)

The kings of power metal.

I've owned a lot of power metal.  As in, the complete libraries of Sonata Arctica, Jag Panzer, Kamelot, Iced Earth, and many others.  Stuff from Edguy, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Delain, Avantasia, and a hundred others.  I have a buddy who constantly feeds me the stuff.  And overall, I find it to be pretty hit or miss.  A lot of it can't connect with me because I don't really care what they're going for.

But Blind Guardian always delivers.  If you're going to go big, it needs to feel epic.  And these guys are the king of epic.  This album feels like a greatest hits compilation of big epic numbers; I could have gone with literally any of the tracks here.  And the fact that they did this all the way back in 1995 just blows my mind.  Every album since has revisited the same ground since they already had it perfected long ago.

Honorable mentions: Nightfall, Mordred's Song, Under the Ice

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

k-fine-disappointed-sad-monkey-pissed-angry.gif

I'm just warning you now.  If Deadly Premonition is higher than Mario 3, it's because I'm cool and handsome and everyone who disagrees is a pleb casual.

I probably won’t agree with some of your rankings but it gets the people talking and debating. You throw the grenade and just watch the carnage 😆

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

#18: Blind Guardian - And the Story Ends (1995)

The kings of power metal.

I've owned a lot of power metal.  As in, the complete libraries of Sonata Arctica, Jag Panzer, Kamelot, Iced Earth, and many others.  Stuff from Edguy, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Delain, Avantasia, and a hundred others.  I have a buddy who constantly feeds me the stuff.  And overall, I find it to be pretty hit or miss.  A lot of it can't connect with me because I don't really care what they're going for.

But Blind Guardian always delivers.  If you're going to go big, it needs to feel epic.  And these guys are the king of epic.  This album feels like a greatest hits compilation of big epic numbers; I could have gone with literally any of the tracks here.  And the fact that they did this all the way back in 1995 just blows my mind.  Every album since has revisited the same ground since they already had it perfected long ago.

Honorable mentions: Nightfall, Mordred's Song, Under the Ice

This was my first Blind Guardian album.  Got it in the 56k Napster days.  Probably took 3 days to download.  Still one of my favorites by them.  

Editorials Team · Posted

#17: Strapping Young Lad - Love? (2005)

DT's other thing.  I thought it was worth a separate entry.  Or I just wanted an excuse to select another song.

The crushing heaviness of this song is sublime.  I don't know if this is the heaviest song on the list (or of all time), but it's in the running.  Devin kills it on vocals, as usual.  Gene's doing his thing like machine.  All in all, I bet I've listened to this track at least three hundred times over the decades.

Honorable mentions: Oh My Fucking God, All Hail the New Flesh, Almost Again

• Like 1