IGNORED

Reed's Favorite 100 Metal Songs of All Time - Finished

Reed Rothchild

On 2/14/2023 at 11:13 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

#100: Sleep Token - The Summoning

The newest entry on this list.  It will no doubt climb with time.  But for now I'm putting it here while it's still fresh and it's overall impact on me is still fluid.

I love the mix of heavy and melancholic beauty.  I love the funky breakdown.  I love the vocal effects.  I love the atmosphere.  And I love how this song put this group on my radar, because I've jumped into everything they've done since.  These guys are gonna be huge.

Pretty good.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:54 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

#99: Mercenary - The Hours that Remain

The title track off the unheralded Danes' fourth album, I don't quite know how to describe the sound.  Power metal?  Melodic death metal?  Progressive?  Thrash?  All of the above?

Unfortunately they never did end up breaking through to larger acclaim, and have endured a semi-hiatus for the last decade.

Even better. Like the videogamey intro.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:46 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

#98: Shining - Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra

Well, here we go.  The most "evil" artist on the list.  I thought about dumping it, but that didn't seem very genuine, as the number of listens I have speak for themselves.

One trend that will emerge is that with black metal I really need things to be "different" in order for the music to resonate with me.  Which is why the genre will have less than a dozen appearances on this list, and why you won't see early Mayhem or Bathory, or anything like that.

Well, with a few tiny exceptions.

This song definitely won't be for everyone.  And you have to be able to look past just how big of detestable shitbag Kvarfort is.  But if you can power through, you'll find one of the very best black metal albums of the 2000s.

Decent, but not doing it for me.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:47 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

#97: Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots

Any thrash purists might see this as a controversial call.  Arise or Chaos A.D. are generally considered the definitive works.  Thrash classics.  I don't see i.  I just hear what sounds like Slayer or Testament B-sides.

Roots, on the other hand, brought a unique identity to the table.  This album doesn't sound like anything else out there, and unfortunately it would remain that way with Max Cavalera leaving the band shortly afterwards, leaving it to kinda stand alone in the discography. And nothing the band has done since has been especially noteworthy, with the band's star remaining greatly diminished in the ensuing decades.  When I saw these guys around 2014, it was a tiny bar show, and all I could think about was how far the mighty had fallen.

Still, this is the one album that will always stay in my rotation.

Again, not something that is gonna appeal to everyone.

No thanks. I have never been into this more standard metal style.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

#91: Baroness - Shock Me

Baroness is another band where I've been on board close to day one, thanks to my hipster friends.  The Red and Blue albums provided some wonderful sludgy, groovy tunes that were a nice change of pace from the stuff I spend most of my time listening to.  I even got to see them on tour supporting Mastodon.  They were arguably the best act that night.

Years later, they released the Purple album, which made some surprising turns into upbeat, hard rock sounds.  And I'm totally there for it.  It's their best work.  It was a tossup between Chlorine & Wine or Shock Me.  I went with the latter because it's simply so fun.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just reread it.  Definitely mid-ish.  Set expectations accordingly!

I’d say that’s fair.  I was plowing through some King for awhile some years back.  Stopped when I got stuck in the middle of the Dark Tower series waiting for holds through the library.   I really need to finish that some day.  

Editorials Team · Posted

#90: Dimmu Borgir - Kings of the Carnival Creation (2001)

Dimmu Borgir!  The big, ridiculous act that slowly transitioned from black metal darlings to the bane of all trve kvltists' existence!

I enjoy the spectacle, which they began to fully explore with this album, arguably their best.  I love the symphonic elements.  I like how Shagrath at least tries to vary his vocals, unlike most black metal shriekers.  And this lineup also featured ICS Vortex (from Borknagar and Arcturus), so we get some of his wonderful vocals.

And I was very, very close to selecting Dimmu Borgir from 2010.  I love this track.

Honorable mentions: Dimmu Borgir, Mourning Palace, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse

• Like 1

Ok now we’re starting to get into the interesting rankings. I didn’t expect to see Dimmu Borgir quite so low (was thinking maybe around 80) which also means that you have ranked CoF and Emperor higher on your list. So it will be interesting to see where they rank and what other BM bands you list.

I was big into BM growing up and loved these guys so it’s a nice trip down memory lane. These days I don’t listen to much BM but I have been enjoying CoFs newer stuff. 

Editorials Team · Posted

CoF is not on the list, I'll give you that spoiler up front

I should listen to those last two albums according to Sputnik.

But I'll also admit that the only album I've actually owned was Cruelty and the Beast.  And I know songs like Her Ghost in the Fog, but it's been so long I wouldn't be able to source that.

I know Dani loves Ghost, so I probably owe him and his catalog another shot 😆

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

But I'll also admit that the only album I've actually owned was Cruelty and the Beast.  And I know songs like Her Ghost in the Fog, but it's been so long I wouldn't be able to source that.

You had that rubbish from the other day but not CoF? Controversy on the list already!!! 🤣 CoF's newer albums are really solid and worth listening to.

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

The only worthwhile song Cradle of Filth ever did was an Iron Maiden cover.

Definitely hard disagree. See above, listen to some of their new albums. If you like BM I find it hard to believe you couldn't enjoy some of their newer stuff.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Played er in it’s entirety last time they came through.

A41851FC-CD99-4662-90DA-D5928EC6310F.jpeg.c5856f752ed395e544e0965b2e25fb67.jpeg84774254-97D6-4F88-9851-491F1ACFA8C9.jpeg.46deeb5e9c338addcce9abb01927ca5c.jpegCA1F061E-829A-48A4-8CAF-A3E9FE52F6DA.jpeg.448d2483928dfd49d5bd35cebc84a814.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey I don't listen to a lot of black metal (or metal I guess) but I do like Kings of the Carnival creation. I remember listening to that CD in high school and I guess that's probably my favorite song of theirs I can think of. Cruelty and the Beast too, I love Bathory Aria. Also finally another long-ish song makes the list. If your song isn't 10 minutes long, did you even have enough to sing about or what?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I feel attacked and triggered by my lack of trü kvlt mountain forrest Scandinavian eternal black metal-ness because of this thread and the last song. I Have been hearing about Dimmu Borgir for the last 15? 20? Years but never listened. 

Am I a just scenekid emo poser who happens to  like blast beats, drop tuned-chugging- palm mutes and falsetto screams? 

Internally i am confused. 

3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I feel attacked and triggered by my lack of trü kvlt mountain forrest Scandinavian eternal black metal-ness because of this thread and the last song. I Have been hearing about Dimmu Borgir for the last 15? 20? Years but never listened. 

Am I a just scenekid emo poser who happens to  like blast beats, drop tuned-chugging- palm mutes and falsetto screams? 

Internally i am confused. 

Brush up. I suspect Impaled Northern Moonforest will be high on this list for being the kvltest band. 

• Haha 1