IGNORED

What Is The Point Of Playing A Video Game?

PII

15 hours ago, GPX said:

You can store and display them like trophies, you can cuddle them like pets, and you can collect and nurture them like plants.

🐶☘️🏆

Just remember though, remember to nurture and feed them too.

Yet be careful, never expose them to bright lights, never let them get wet, and never ever feed them after midnight.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I play games for entertainment, friendships, and sometimes, introspection and learning.  

My immediate off-the-cuff answer to this question, is well, "for fun."  Because I like playing video games and they are fun.  Fun can also include challenge, but that isn't a requirement for me.  

Really, I just like being taken through an interactive journey / experience.  Video games allow you to interact with the art in a way that isn't really possible with a book or a movie.  You get to BE the character.  You get to immerse yourself in the world and become a part of it.  As video games have expanded in scope, and particularly with a lot of the technological developments, this can be even more the case in recent years, and that's not even getting into VR territory, which is a whole other level of immersion.

Due to my interests in video gaming, I've made lots of friends, and built relationships, and those are incredibly important to me.  Hanging out and chatting with people from NA, and now VGS, and other places, is just something I enjoy, and a major reason why I wanted to support and maintain VGS as a place where people with similar interests can just, hang out.

I'm also a big story and characters person.  I love following through the stories that are told in video games - for me it isn't just about slash slash bang bang - I believe some games really do build good characters and stories, and I enjoy experiencing those - taking a journey through fantasy worlds that aren't bound by the limits of physics or nature.   I find myself getting VERY invested emotionally in some of the worlds and characters, similar to how you can find yourself emotionally invested in a movie.

I love that gaming keeps changing.  Yes - the traditional NES-style games are always fun, but I have really enjoyed experiencing video games as technology and methodologies have changed over time.  It has been awesome to see how things have changed, developers trying out new things, and I think all of that is fantastic.  I've played probably thousands of games in my lifetime, and I still encounter new experiences, or see things I haven't seen before, and that is always a lot of fun.

There are many other things I enjoy about video games, but these are some of the things that really come to mind when I really sit back and think about the question.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted

As odd as it sounds, I mainly play video games to engage in an aesthetic.

I've always wanted to "jump into" captivating pieces of imagery (films, comics, ads, dioramas, paintings, etc.) to play around in those imaginary worlds and participate in the art. Video games offer one of the most satisfying ways to do that, since they are fundamentally interactive.

And lucky for me, the classic gaming aesthetic is one that I find particularly compelling - from the pixel-art and chiptunes, to the hardware and culture in general. I don't care much for story, challenge, achievement, or even entertainment to a degree. I just love the look and feel of classic games, and I want to take part in them (by playing them, collecting them, and discussing them).

-CasualCart

• Like 4

When I was a Dragon Quest fan (which began on Christmas, 1989) it went from just beating every version of the first game to a whole lot more. Namely it became the following, thanks to everything the Japanese fanbase had to offer:

• The characters.
  • The stories.
  • The connections between each game.
  • The music.
  • The art designs.
  • The commercials.
  • The events beyond the games.
  • And a reason to get out of the house/apartment for a chance to find (and buy) a new collectible (and/or game).

Between 2017-2021 I translated every useful and fact tidbit that I could find. Even going as far as learning about every print run there was for the Dragon Quest games. Even after the fact I overwhelmed myself before I obtained the last few portable Japanese releases. Which was my fault because I wanted to upgrade a few.

Thankfully I found a Japanese collector who owned every variant of every Dragon Quest game. Including the exclusive consoles. Because I found out that Dragon Quest VI (DS) had two print variants, with the first being super rare.

Plus there is the fact that the actual timelines (for those who care about that) is more complicated than they actually seem to be. For example, Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (GBA) is both the prequel to Dragon Quest VII and the epilogue to the entire Roto/Erdrick series. While the Mystery Dungeon series connects Dragon Quest IV to Dragon Quest VIII.

Stuff that made me want to play the games while I dread the reality how much it would cost to own them. 😅

Simply playing video games in general has to do with some of you a-holes. Namely the ones that respected what I was into, and all that jazz. With the characters, stories, and music being tied to what games I choose to play. ("Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto... Domo!")

Plus, Final Fantasy (PS5 releases; budgetary reasons) is currently taking over Dragon Quest's role in my life. And not just because the "fandom" is both a fandom and less toxic, but also because I was a fan of the franchise since Christmas, 1990. 🤠

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 2

For me it all boils down to fun. Gaming is something I do to experience joy. That can be broken down into different forms of fun, but it's really that simple. If a game is not fun, I don't play it.

Now, if we want get a little more academic, I could probably come up with a few categories of fun.

1. Simple Joy (Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, Mario)
  2. Mentally Challenging (Myst, Tunic, The Witness)
  3. Dexterity (Celeste, Doom Eternal, Super Meat Boy)
  4. Competitive (Rocket League, Halo)
  5. Pure Difficulty (Dark Souls, Hollow Knight)

Obviously there is a lot of overlap between these different types of fun (particularly dexterity and difficulty), but it provides a nice jumping off point for discussions on why I enjoy certain games.

• Like 3