IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

Events Team · Posted

a9c930536dc710b2c7b12239f73419ca.jpg

ECW done. Next I'm gonna do Attitude since from what I've heard it's basically identical to ECW.

The title defenses are endless once you get the final belt, but since you do technically unlock a cheat for beating 5 title defenses like the previous belts, I went ahead and did the first 5 just for good measure since they were all 1v1s which are piss easy in this game. Or, well, either that or Big Sal is one powerful guy, haha. Either way, done.

Not a bad game honestly, but it definitely does get VERY repetitive pretty quick.

• Like 11

Events Helper · Posted
15 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

a9c930536dc710b2c7b12239f73419ca.jpg

ECW done. Next I'm gonna do Attitude since from what I've heard it's basically identical to ECW.

The title defenses are endless once you get the final belt, but since you do technically unlock a cheat for beating 5 title defenses like the previous belts, I went ahead and did the first 5 just for good measure since they were all 1v1s which are piss easy in this game. Or, well, either that or Big Sal is one powerful guy, haha. Either way, done.

Not a bad game honestly, but it definitely does get VERY repetitive pretty quick.

isn't @ZeldaFan042 doing that one?

Events Helper · Posted
29 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Splain's working on that one.

The only one that isn't being actively worked on by someone as far as I can recall is PGA European Tour, since @RetroMichel said they'll get to it after the 20th.

aight, I just know I'm basically done this year, my 50+ games get me a month's worth of retirement 😉  so I hope u all can help us finish.  

13 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I want that $20

...But also by this point someone is working on all/will soon be working on all of the remaining games and I don't want to just sit around and do nothing.

Not to mention that generally there's no dibs on games in these threads.  If someone gets it done first, then they get it.  The idea of saying you're working on something is just to make sure everything can actually get done in time, not to say nobody else should work on them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

@Jeevan sorry for not responding last week. For whatever reason I didn't notice any alerts. I am out of commission on gaming right now, but keep up the good work everyone. We're so close!

All good, thanks for keeping us posted! And yeah, we've got this in the bag.

13 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm about to crash, but I'm thinking I should be able to complete WWF Attitude sometime tomorrow (@ZeldaFan042 just so he's aware. Hopefully you're not too too far in to the game, if you are... sorry man 😞)

Go ahead. I've been really busy the past few days, so I'm not too deep into it. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

c73b97e4084f3a691999ab86a14ec679.jpg

Attitude done, indeed damn near identical to ECW in many ways. MEANT to get it done like a couple days ago, but had the worst bout of sleep deprivation I've had in a long time so that kinda made it hard to work up the motivation to keep playing for a little while there, haha.

So next I'm gonna do Brunswick since @Splain asked about it, then I'll circle back around to Wrestlemania if that's not still done, then finally PGA if that also isn't done.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 300/303
Editorials Team · Posted

Three hundy!!!

@ZeldaFreak let me know what you think of Brunswick. You don't get credits when you win a tournament, or skins game, or anything at all. But you can stumble through a tournament and come out the other side with a terrible score, so it still seems appropriate to have to WIN something to call the game beaten. Nugfish legit won a tournament last year, so I just haven't figured out the secret I guess. But you have to get a LOT of strikes to even compete with the CPU players. And the game kinda prides itself on having the oil patterns change on the lanes as you wear them down. So the stuff that gets strikes at the beginning of the tourney won't necessarily keep working as you go. I've been through a bunch of tournaments by now but I haven't placed 1st yet. I'm hoping you'll waltz in with beginner's luck and just destroy the first tournament you enter. I'll take the embarrassment for the good of the thread lol.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Splain said:

Three hundy!!!

@ZeldaFreak let me know what you think of Brunswick. You don't get credits when you win a tournament, or skins game, or anything at all. But you can stumble through a tournament and come out the other side with a terrible score, so it still seems appropriate to have to WIN something to call the game beaten. Nugfish legit won a tournament last year, so I just haven't figured out the secret I guess. But you have to get a LOT of strikes to even compete with the CPU players. And the game kinda prides itself on having the oil patterns change on the lanes as you wear them down. So the stuff that gets strikes at the beginning of the tourney won't necessarily keep working as you go. I've been through a bunch of tournaments by now but I haven't placed 1st yet. I'm hoping you'll waltz in with beginner's luck and just destroy the first tournament you enter. I'll take the embarrassment for the good of the thread lol.

This is already one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.

I thought Ogre Battle was bad, Jesus. That was just in a genre I don't like, but at least the game itself wasn't horrible.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

This is already one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.

Really? I don't think it's all that bad. I get better scores on like, Nester's Funky Bowling because you can do the same thing over and over for all 10 frames, but seemingly not here. Maybe we can win a Skins game and call it beaten, but even then, the game makes no effort to declare a winner of skins matches, so it's either the number of skins or the total winnings. Shrug.

It's definitely odd in that it focuses so hard on being a professional bowler, and everything you do contributes to your career earnings and records and such. And playing the cosmic bowling mode is like "welcome professional bowler SPLAIN for an exhibition game!!" and you can't just, like, bowl a quick round without it playing somehow into your total career. It makes me wonder if there's some kind of end to it all when you earn enough money or something. But the manual says nothing and nobody on the internet has said anything.

There's a guy on YouTube beating all the N64 games, but he hasn't gotten to this one yet. MeridianPrime back in the day just got second in a tournament and called it good. So it's the same question as in other games that don't show credits or do anything special when you win a tournament.

1 hour ago, Splain said:

It's definitely odd in that it focuses so hard on being a professional bowler, and everything you do contributes to your career earnings and records and such. And playing the cosmic bowling mode is like "welcome professional bowler SPLAIN for an exhibition game!!" and you can't just, like, bowl a quick round without it playing somehow into your total career. It makes me wonder if there's some kind of end to it all when you earn enough money or something. But the manual says nothing and nobody on the internet has said anything.

There's a guy on YouTube beating all the N64 games, but he hasn't gotten to this one yet. MeridianPrime back in the day just got second in a tournament and called it good. So it's the same question as in other games that don't show credits or do anything special when you win a tournament.

We really need to do someone to do a deep dive into this one and Centre Court Tennis to see if there's some kind of meaningful ending lurking in the code. Some sports games have such weird, obscure win conditions that are still undocumented after all these years.

We only realized the deal with In Your Face on Game Boy a couple years ago, and I've found three tennis games on Genesis with oddball win conditions that aren't mentioned in the manual (Agassi: go 16-0 in one sitting; Davis Cup: become world #1 and you don't even need to play the Davis Cup; ATP: win three seasons in a row). No doubt there are still a bunch of games with "no ending" that have one if you just fulfill the right conditions.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Splain said:

Really? I don't think it's all that bad. I get better scores on like, Nester's Funky Bowling because you can do the same thing over and over for all 10 frames, but seemingly not here. Maybe we can win a Skins game and call it beaten, but even then, the game makes no effort to declare a winner of skins matches, so it's either the number of skins or the total winnings. Shrug.

It's just because (from what I've played so far, anyway) it feels almost completely random. I figure out a way to get a strike, and think "Cool, OK, that worked. Let me try that again." Then I try it again and something completely different happens. Even if I line up the next shot the exact same way, hit the accuracy and power meters on the exact same spots, it's impossible to predict what's actually going to happen. So it feels like skill is barely even a factor at play, it's just random chance. I understand not ALLOWING you to hit the same shot over and over and over again is in theory good, but at least doing that requires some amount of skill and timing to actually line it back up and hit the meters in the exact same place again (since if you're even SLIGHTLY off with either of the meters, the result will be completely different most of the time.) Doing it this way leads to it just feeling totally random which I never enjoy in any game.

Plus honestly I think I just don't like bowling games in general since the gameplay is just... I dunno. It's just so basic. Nothing about it is engaging to me in any way, haha. So for me it's a combination of boring + frustrating. If it was one or the other I'd be fine, it's the fact that it's both that is already making me REALLY not enjoy this one. Not to mention I generally prefer games which I can beat, ones that actually have an ending of some sort over something like this. The wrestling ones I honestly didn't mind at all, I had some legitimate fun with those, this is just... yeah.

Plus I don't generally go out of my way to play bad games so I haven't actually played very many to be fair, haha. I know there was infinitely worse games than this out there, it's just that of the ones I'VE played, this one's pretty shit.

For skins games, if they don't ever end (I got to frame 12 and by that point just assumed it was kind of endless) it says at the beginning when you boot one up that $250,000 are on the line. If they are indeed endless (sounds like they are based on what you said) the win condition could be to get to $250,000 before any of the other players do. That at least feels like it'd have more potential to be fun compared to getting 1st in a tournament if nothing else, haha.

• Like 1