IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

2 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

It's just because (from what I've played so far, anyway) it feels almost completely random. I figure out a way to get a strike, and think "Cool, OK, that worked. Let me try that again." Then I try it again and something completely different happens. Even if I line up the next shot the exact same way, hit the accuracy and power meters on the exact same spots, it's impossible to predict what's actually going to happen. So it feels like skill is barely even a factor at play, it's just random chance. I understand not ALLOWING you to hit the same shot over and over and over again is in theory good, but at least doing that requires some amount of skill and timing to actually line it back up and hit the meters in the exact same place again (since if you're even SLIGHTLY off with either of the meters, the result will be completely different most of the time.) Doing it this way leads to it just feeling totally random which I never enjoy in any game.

Plus honestly I think I just don't like bowling games in general since the gameplay is just... I dunno. It's just so basic. Nothing about it is engaging to me in any way, haha. So for me it's a combination of boring + frustrating. If it was one or the other I'd be fine, it's the fact that it's both that is already making me REALLY not enjoy this one. Not to mention I generally prefer games which I can beat, ones that actually have an ending of some sort over something like this. The wrestling ones I honestly didn't mind at all, I had some legitimate fun with those, this is just... yeah.

Plus I don't generally go out of my way to play bad games so I haven't actually played very many to be fair, haha. I know there was infinitely worse games than this out there, it's just that of the ones I'VE played, this one's pretty shit.

For skins games, if they don't ever end (I got to frame 12 and by that point just assumed it was kind of endless) it says at the beginning when you boot one up that $250,000 are on the line. If they are indeed endless (sounds like they are based on what you said) the win condition could be to get to $250,000 before any of the other players do. That at least feels like it'd have more potential to be fun compared to getting 1st in a tournament if nothing else, haha.

My brother & I used to play this all the time and got to the point where we routinely shot 300s. Its not as random as it may seem, but it does require near perfection to win a tournament. Unfortunately, it wasn't as intuitive as I was expecting when I came back to it as an adult, but is is beatable. My strategy is throwing the Speed Demon at max speed and full hook on a tight line. The game makes sure not to put you back exactly where you lined up on your previous shot so you will have to adjust every frame. My brother always used the Strike Zone with a slower speed and wider line so I know there are other strategies that can win. Hope that helps you guys a little.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Nugfish said:

My brother & I used to play this all the time and got to the point where we routinely shot 300s. Its not as random as it may seem, but it does require near perfection to win a tournament. Unfortunately, it wasn't as intuitive as I was expecting when I came back to it as an adult, but is is beatable. My strategy is throwing the Speed Demon at max speed and full hook on a tight line. The game makes sure not to put you back exactly where you lined up on your previous shot so you will have to adjust every frame. My brother always used the Strike Zone with a slower speed and wider line so I know there are other strategies that can win. Hope that helps you guys a little.

OK, I'll have to try that out. I'll let @Splain make the call on whether or not you have to get 1st place in a tournament before continuing to play though, don't want to waste time on either a tournament or a skins game if the other ends up being what you need to play for it to be considered "beaten."

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

OK, I'll have to try that out. I'll let @Splain make the call on whether or not you have to get 1st place in a tournament before continuing to play though, don't want to waste time on either a tournament or a skins game if the other ends up being what you need to play for it to be considered "beaten."

Well, it doesn't declare any kind of a winner after a skins game, at all. Not even the order of names changes. So I'll say the closest thing to beating the game is winning a tournament. I'll also try the Nugfish Technique.

Events Team · Posted

Any luck @Splain? I tried to figure out the strategy Nugfish was talking about for the past hour or so and honestly I feel like I'm doing even worse now so I dunno. All I know is I do not enjoy this game, haha. Been trying to find that magic spot where Nugfish's strategy gets me a strike and I can't seem to figure it out, so I dunno if I misinterpreted what he said and I'm just doing it wrong, or if it's a VERY particular spot where it works.

Editorials Team · Posted
16 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Any luck @Splain?

A little. If I stand a bit to the right of center, and aim just to the right of the kingpin, I've managed to get some consecutive strikes that make ALL the difference for my score. You can get peppered strikes and spares for all 10 frames, knocking down every single pin, but your score just won't be competitive unless you get a solid run of uninterrupted strikes. So I guess it's a matter of getting to be consistent enough.

I've learned a few tricks that probably apply to every bowling game. And irl bowling.

I honestly have more luck throwing straight than trying to spin it.

I'll have more time after Christmas for more attempts.

Events Team · Posted

e3607b57273f0f079cfcdaa37eb4eb35.png

I'm glad Nugfish mentioned his brother's strategy, because I had way more luck that way than with his strategy, first time I felt like I could somewhat consistently get strikes. After many hours of experimenting both today and yesterday, what I ended up settling on was using the Speed Zone ball, max curve, standing a bit to the left of the center, aiming the top of the red line either just slightly right, or slightly left of the center pin. Which side was better seemed to depend on the oil, so a lot of the time you still just had to flip a coin and try one or the other and hope you got lucky. I also tried to aim for the green in both the power and accuracy bars, I would've gone for max power every time since that's one less variable you have to worry about, but it seemed more inconsistent that way, it either really worked or REALLY didn't work. Aiming for the green in both meant that even if you guess wrong on whether or not aiming for the right or left of the center pin was best, you'd still usually at least be able to get a spare, so it seemed to be a little bit safer. I actually did manage to shoot one 300 when the oil wasn't feeling too cruel which I'm quite proud of, haha.

Anyway fuck this game I'm moving on to PGA since it sounds like @the_wizard_666's almost done with Wrestlemania.

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm glad Nugfish mentioned his brother's strategy, because I had way more luck that way than with his strategy, first time I felt like I could somewhat consistently get strikes. After many hours of experimenting both today and yesterday, what I ended up settling on was using the Speed Zone ball, max curve, standing a bit to the left of the center, aiming the top of the red line either just slightly right, or slightly left of the center pin. Which side was better seemed to depend on the oil, so a lot of the time you still just had to flip a coin and try one or the other and hope you got lucky. I also tried to aim for the green in both the power and accuracy bars, I would've gone for max power every time since that's one less variable you have to worry about, but it seemed more inconsistent that way, it either really worked or REALLY didn't work. Aiming for the green in both meant that even if you guess wrong on whether or not aiming for the right or left of the center pin was best, you'd still usually at least be able to get a spare, so it seemed to be a little bit safer. I actually did manage to shoot one 300 when the oil wasn't feeling too cruel which I'm quite proud of, haha.

Anyway fuck this game I'm moving on to PGA since it sounds like @the_wizard_666's almost done with Wrestlemania.

Legend. Nicely done.

• Thanks 1

I haven't played much, though I got a few matches closer to the Royal Rumble last night.  It's just been a bit busy lately.

Still waiting to hear whether the win at the Rumble is needed or not.  As far as I'm aware, you only get in the title match if you win the Rumble, but winning the title at Wrestlemania is only a requirement to unlock Shawn Michael's, not to get the ending.

4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Okay, scratch that.  I did some digging, and found a playthrough where the guy didn't win the Rumble.  It said to try again and no credits.  So yeah, I'm gonna have to attempt winning the Rumble to make sure.

Just says complete the Road, doesn’t say you have to become champion. I looked back a few pages and I argued that there was no reason to actually become champion. You play through the same amount of game regardless 

IMG_0045.jpeg

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Okay, scratch that.  I did some digging, and found a playthrough where the guy didn't win the Rumble.  It said to try again and no credits.  So yeah, I'm gonna have to attempt winning the Rumble to make sure.

You think you'll have time to beat it? I assume you will, it sounds like you're pretty close to the end but just want to make sure. I can always pick it up after I'm done with PGA if not.

33 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Just says complete the Road, doesn’t say you have to become champion. I looked back a few pages and I argued that there was no reason to actually become champion. You play through the same amount of game regardless 

IMG_0045.jpeg

I thought the same, but the idea is go get the ending and see the credits.  If you win the title it gives you a congratulations message and rolls credits.  If you don't, it says try again and no credits.  Sadly, winning likely should be the requirement.

9 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

You think you'll have time to beat it? I assume you will, it sounds like you're pretty close to the end but just want to make sure. I can always pick it up after I'm done with PGA if not.

It took a few hours of retrying, but I  managed to win the Rumble.  I'm now in the home stretch, and will likely finish in the next day or two.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I dunno if I'll have PGA beat tomorrow, but definitely should have it done by day after tomorrow if not.

So that leaves Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling then?  Hopefully @Nugfish is making progress on Brunswick.  I'd give it a whirl but I don't have a copy.  I won't bother with PGA either since you pretty much have it done.

Editorials Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So that leaves Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling then?  Hopefully @Nugfish is making progress on Brunswick.  I'd give it a whirl but I don't have a copy.  I won't bother with PGA either since you pretty much have it done.

ZF finished Brunswick already, I just haven't marked it yet. I'll update everything first thing in the morning. Only thing left is PGA.

1 hour ago, Splain said:

ZF finished Brunswick already, I just haven't marked it yet. I'll update everything first thing in the morning. Only thing left is PGA.

Oh shit, I must have missed that one.  This may be premature, but since we're a day or two away from completion, congrats to everyone on the milestone.  I remember when this list first started, I questioned how it would ever get completed because of how many games were insanely long and (in my opinion) not great.  Great job everyone!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

It's not that bad, it's just kinda boring, haha.

In my experience the boring games that are moderately skill demanding are always harder to get through than a fun game that demands a lot of skill. I'll always be more impressed with the guy who beat PGA than the guy who beats Contra or whatever.

• Like 3