IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

Less than 100 hours left!!

I'm likely not going to reset the thread to 0 for 2024. As others have said, this has been an awesome year, and a lot of us put a lot of effort into a big push for 2023, so it's a good time to retire the thread/effort. Or at least take a break.

If anyone's interested, we can do something else N64-related, like perhaps a community N64 ranking project?

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Splain said:

I'm likely not going to reset the thread to 0 for 2024. As others have said, this has been an awesome year, and a lot of us put a lot of effort into a big push for 2023, so it's a good time to retire the thread/effort. Or at least take a break.

If anyone's interested, we can do something else N64-related, like perhaps a community N64 ranking project?

Will 100% be done with PGA later tonight, so as long as @the_wizard_666's got Wrestlemania taken care of, we're aaaaall good.

Events Helper · Posted
13 minutes ago, Splain said:

this would actually potentially help me out with how i do mine to an extent to see what others think of the games, i kinda like it.  That being said, beat the library over the course of x amount of years like the gameboy?  If you beat the game do a review, except me who will be doing them in private as soon as i get my butt in gear 🤣

2 hours ago, Splain said:

So no 2024 thread? Would be sad to see it go after all this time. But 11(?) years was a great run. Can’t believe Im still around to see it

How about aiming for all the N64 games -- i.e. including Japanese exclusives -- in 2025 (not 2024)? A bunch have been fan-translated, after all!

That's something no site has ever done as far as I'm aware -- beating a system's library in all regions. And it'd be a great opportunity for all the people who have studied Japanese for a couple years to step up to the plate -- or just anyone who's willing to hold their phone up for hours at a time. 😁

3 hours ago, Splain said:

I actually kind of like that idea, though maybe if we make that an ongoing thread in it's own right?  Like trying to review the whole library, with links and such to peoples' reviews (I'm thinking something simple, like Google Docs or something).  Give points for each successive review for each game (10 for the first review, and -1 for every subsequent one) as an incentive for people to rank games that haven't been done, but without penalizing them for doing games they love.  I would require a completion in order to have a review count, thus making sure games are given a fair shake by the reviewer.  The only issue would be standardizing scores if we use more than an overall rating, but regardless, for multiple reviews we average out the scores.  I would also say that the game would have to be reviewed within, say, 3 months of completion, so that everything is still fresh in the reviewer's mind.  This is such an intriguing option to me.

Alternatively, maybe taking a year off so people could make a push on one of the other active yearly threads (or even just to push to complete some of the ongoing lists) could be nice too.  But then, sometimes there isn't much crossover between consoles for various reasons, so it could cause some active players to drop out as well.  It's honestly tough to say how it would pan out, though I'm always in favour of more options personally.

3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Will 100% be done with PGA later tonight, so as long as @the_wizard_666's got Wrestlemania taken care of, we're aaaaall good.

I got it done a few days back, so yeah, it's just PGA left.

42 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

How about aiming for all the N64 games -- i.e. including Japanese exclusives -- in 2025 (not 2024)? A bunch have been fan-translated, after all!

That's something no site has ever done as far as I'm aware -- beating a system's library in all regions. And it'd be a great opportunity for all the people who have studied Japanese for a couple years to step up to the plate -- or just anyone who's willing to hold their phone up for hours at a time. 😁

The biggest issue I have with that is that not every game has a translation, not every translation is good, and not everyone has access to them to play the games.  While it could be interesting, there could also be a huge dropoff.  I think that if you're including all regions, it's best to do it in a non-resetting thread.

• Like 1

¡AWESOME!  Following everyone's achievements in these "Beat" threads is a great way to learn about a library especially when there are enough dedicated heads around to actually complete the whole thing.  ¡Congrats! to everyone who took part, and especially to those who beat games in the double digits!  

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted

Congrats to everyone who helped and participated this year!  Look forward to my rankings in the future, now that I don't have to try and necessarily beat them all in a year, I can start picking off what I want, etc.  I will keep any of you n64 nerds updated once things start rolling out etc.  didn't get as far as I wanted in the library this year, but honestly I think starcraft beating me down was part of the problem.  

Whatever @Splain has in store for this thread, hopefully it can help bring some love to the, imo, greatest couch co op system of the 90s/2ks.  granted goldeneye sure helps out with that title 😉 .  So with that, give me my dang charm @Gloves 😆 😘.

• Like 2

The N64 has always been a largely ignored console in my collection, but thanks to this topic I finally gave it a chance and beat most of the titles I had any interest in.

It even got me collecting for the system again, pretty much everything in this photo was bought this year (including the funtastic) 😆
8gH6LlLl.jpg

Thanks @Splain for making the thread and keeping it up to date and everyone else for making the completion process so much fun!

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

There is a guy on youtube in the middle of doing that, I think the channel is ThatBeast ? or something similar 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

There is a guy on youtube in the middle of doing that, I think the channel is ThatBeast ? or something similar 

Aha, it's Thabeast721:

https://www.youtube.com/@Thabeast721/videos

I'm also aware of N64 Glenn Plant's reviews, but as far as I know he's only committed to doing the NA and PAL libraries, with a smattering of Japanese games as he sees fit (he's done 23 of 85).

As for the feasibility of doing the Japanese part of the library too, I'd agree that odds are against succeeding within 1 year. Maybe half are either playable without Japanese or have a translation patch (~20 Japanese retail games have been fan-translated). And we'd have to work through baseball games, shogi games, horse racing games, etc.

Still, it'd be fun, and the N64 has the most manageable Japanese-exclusive library of all major consoles except maybe the XBox. Well, the Master System JPN-only library is small too, but the European and Brazilian libraries sure aren't.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN
Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Yeah, his video on PGA helped me a good bit.

Anyway, now I can finally get back to playing DOOM

Next year I'm probably gonna focus my efforts on the NES Completion thread, unless there's another timed library besides that one, in which case I'll focus my efforts on that.

Editorials Team · Posted

Excited New Year GIF

We did it!!! Great job you guys, some clutch performances from a bunch of you.

As for next year, it's fine for us to do it all again, if that's what people want to do. But a few have already said they're not going to hit N64 as hard, and it would be disappointing to flop after such a great win. What does everyone think about these mentioned possibilities:

- Reset to 0 and don't change anything
- Expand the library to include Japanese titles, extend deadline to 2 years out
- Change to a ranking/review thread, encouraging people to play and review games they aren't familiar with (not mutually exclusive to a Beat All thread)

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Splain said:

Excited New Year GIF

We did it!!! Great job you guys, some clutch performances from a bunch of you.

As for next year, it's fine for us to do it all again, if that's what people want to do. But a few have already said they're not going to hit N64 as hard, and it would be disappointing to flop after such a great win. What does everyone think about these mentioned possibilities:

- Reset to 0 and don't change anything
- Expand the library to include Japanese titles, extend deadline to 2 years out
- Change to a ranking/review thread, encouraging people to play and review games they aren't familiar with (not mutually exclusive to a Beat All thread)

What if we limit the list to the JP exclusives?

Smaller list, easier to complete, bunch of games none of us have ever played before.

Win win win!

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted
20 hours ago, ikk said:

How would that work?

I've had a couple ideas over the years how we could collectively rank a library, it would likely start with a very general phase of sorting each game into quadrants/percentiles, maybe with a handful of games serving as benchmarks (is the game better or worse than Superman? Glover? Mario Kart? etc) and we'd need people to really play the games, not just fail for 20 minutes and call the game bad. Like @the_wizard_666 was saying, to weigh in you'd need to have beaten the game (or maybe some kind of defined "adequate effort" to beat it, since I feel like I could fairly review Brunswick with the hours I've put into it, even though I've never won a tournament. We can discuss it 😄)

Ideally we'd have enough people who have played enough games to fairly sort everything into quadrants, then further divide into smaller groups. Like a Top 10, Next 10, Next 10, down to Bottom 10. The thread itself would be for discussing individual games and where they belong. We'd need a good process for what to do when one person loves a game but someone else hates it, and they're the only 2 people who have played it.

• Like 3