IGNORED

Portable System Cases-- Do you prefer hard or soft cases?

RH

Case Types  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If you buy a case for a portable gaming system, do you prefer a hard shell or a soft shell carry case?

I'm curious if you guys look for carry cases, or rather, maybe when you did as a kid did you prefer a hard shell or soft shell case?  IMHO, there is a third option which is superior, but I want to keep it out of this specific debate, and that is the the hard case with the soft inserts. I'd say it's the best option today, but since this is a semi-nostalgic discussion, I'm curious what you preferred when we were kids and what we had generally available to us at the local department stores. 

What I mean are the cases we could get when we were young like the ASCII Game Boy cases that were hard from top to bottom and inside out vs. those that were soft and plushy and often made of somewhat heavy duty fabric.

As a kid I did have a hard case for my Game Boy and one mostly-soft case for my Game Gear.  I preferred the soft because I was a kid that was prone to dropping things, and  the soft cases seemed to do a better job at protecting the hardware, rather than the hard cased but, honestly, I have no clue as to which works better. Again, that third option of a hard case with a soft foam insert is best, but I'm ignoring that option for this discussion because those were hard to come buy in the 90s and 00s, unless you stole one from BlockBuster.

So which do you guys prefer and why?

I have a hard case that I keep my switch in.  I don't travel with it but it protects the console from accidental damage - or when the cat knocks it down to the floor.  Also the dog can't cart it off - which I have no doubt he would do if it was unprotected.

The only thing I would change is to set it up so I could charge it while in the case.

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I have a hard case that I keep my switch in.  I don't travel with it but it protects the console from accidental damage - or when the cat knocks it down to the floor.  Also the dog can't cart it off - which I have no doubt he would do if it was unprotected.

The only thing I would change is to set it up so I could charge it while in the case.

I agree to that.  I have the Zelda leather/faux-leather case my wife bought me a few years ago.  I like it for what it is, but I was a tad annoyed that when I wanted to charge my Switch, it had to stay half-zipped since it only has one zipper.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

I agree to that.  I have the Zelda leather/faux-leather case my wife bought me a few years ago.  I like it for what it is, but I was a tad annoyed that when I wanted to charge my Switch, it had to stay half-zipped since it only has one zipper.

I have the same one.   It would have been really simple to make it with a slot to accommodate charging.

Edited by Tabonga

My kids each have a Switch and I bought them each cases for when they leave the house.  One case was hard and the other was soft.  That wasn't on purpose.  I just happened to get good deals on those particular cases.  My son who uses the soft case had an analogue stick fail on one of his Joy Cons despite the fact that his Switch was a full year newer than the other once.  I noticed later that the soft case allows you to put pressure on the analogue sticks if you push hard enough.  I think the stick was damaged while something big was putting pressure on the outside of the case.  After replacing the Joy Cons, I bought a new hard case to hopefully avoid this in the future. 

• Like 1

I never was into hard cases, I guess, short of the dust clips Gameboy games came in or the sleeve/snap on things the NES/SNES had too.  As a kid I got that black square that had enough room by the numbers for 8 games, DMG center, and below for a few accessories, but usually I'd just jam 4 more games in there too.  Later on with GBC and GBA stuff, the nylon stuff that's fairly tough but not hard plastic.  Around that various plushy bags and pouches including a couple Club Nintendo did, the FF3 DS wetsuit type pouch velcro thing, etc.

The only time I ever got a hard case was the DMG one for various 3DS/New2DS style model handhelds and only because I just liked the design on it, that's it, not for safety sake as it goes nowhere these days out of the house.  The only other was I got this micro a year or two back, someone used what I think is a travel soap case that snaps shut with a clasp. Given how easy it is to scratch up a faceplate, I still use it when I take my beater gameboy micro on the road.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I have a hard case for my Switch.  Seems like a no brainer, especially since I keep joycons attached to it full time...

My PSP case is soft, which in hindsight I wouldn't have chosen.  But it is pretty padded at least.

I don't have a case for my 3DS or GBA SP or DS.  Never saw the need.

I prefer the feel, and generally the look, of soft cases, but realistically will go for a hard/firm case every time simply because they actually protect things better, and that's really what it's all about.  If I'm just worried about transport, I can throw a portable system into tons of "soft" containers without having to buy anything--a pocket, a shoulder bag, a backpack, a generic plastic store bag, etc.  I think the best ones are those that present some sort of soft(er) exterior, but have solid/hard (but padded) walls/dividers inside.  With those, you get the protection of stuff like the old NYKO cases which felt (and looked) like a brick, as well as the softer feel and generally better and more convenient grip and carrying options (handles + shoulder straps) that the floppy zipper/velcro bags offer.

I'm happy with the soft pouches. The Sony pouch for PS VIta, the fanny packs for Game Boy and Turbo Express, the beautiful pouch for the Neo Geo Pocket, and the drawstring pouch for the 3DS...these have all served me well, but it's more about protection from dust and the like; I've never had issues with drop damage or anything like that.