IGNORED

Favorite (Reasonably) Short Games from Recent Years?

rdrunner

Seeing the Elden Ring thread got me thinking: For those of us (like me) who have no realistic way of playing games that demand super-long playthroughs, what are some of your favorite games from recent years that can be finished within a reasonable amount of time?

Obviously the word "reasonable" is subjective here, but for the purposes of this thread, let's say 20 total hours max for a first-time any% completion (including failed attempts).

If the answer is "such games do not exist, stick with your silly NES and arcade games", that's fine too. 🙂

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Seeing the Elden Ring thread got me thinking: For those of us (like me) who have no realistic way of playing games that demand super-long playthroughs, what are some of your favorite games from recent years that can be finished within a reasonable amount of time?

Obviously the word "reasonable" is subjective here, but for the purposes of this thread, let's say 20 total hours max for a first-time any% completion (including failed attempts).

If the answer is "such games do not exist, stick with your silly NES and arcade games", that's fine too. 🙂

A lot of PSVR games fit that play time.  But if you are looking for flat screen games I would say the last good short games I played were Life is Strange: True Colors (good story) and Astro's Play Room (great platformer).  

Ps5 Astro Bot GIF by PlayStation

• Like 2

I may not be the best sample in terms of super-recent stuff but some standouts for me over past few years that don't become too much of a time-sink have included:

Super Mario Odyssey
Doom Eternal
Return to Monkey Island
Spider-Man (Sony)
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Streets of Rage 4
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Dusk
Minit
Darkest Dungeon

• Love 1

Blaster Master Zero and Lodoss War Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is another, as is Metroid Dread all for switch.

Homebrew side fairly recent is Kira Kira Star Night DX for Famicom which i got a complete boxed copy of, very short, but very fun, a good point racking title.

TMNT Shredder's Revenge but also the collection of the oldies too is great, as is the other konami bundles for Castlevania, the misc arcade, and even Contra.  Each have a number of short games, not too many that are long enough for passwords, just a few.   Cat Quest 1+2 for mobile+switch is another pair of excellent shorter well made games with a nice story.

My understanding that Super Lucky's Tale on Switch is one of the best platformers (3D) in years, isn't terribly long but super well done, had been considering grabbing this for myself or the kid too.

• Like 1

Sayonara Wild Hearts is a 1-2 hour long "playable album" like a combination of an endless runner and Rez sort of. It's pretty great. It changes things up for every song and ends before ever getting repetitive.

I wish games had the balls to be a tight hour-long experience more often. Everything has so much padding. Imagine if movies felt the need to be 6 hours long regardless of how much story there was to tell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, Mega Man 11, Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered (I know this game was originally released in 2009, but I've got the Switch version), Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Crafted World, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, Axiom Verge, and Sonic Mania.

image.jpeg.c5aa9f4d6cc632804de6328d6d5b472d.jpeg

image.jpeg.82c0866cf9fc9b772bcd17ac6bf5a0f9.jpeg

image.jpeg.6d3f90fb020363865929baf6c854ee34.jpeg

image.jpeg.9242344a99f5cf70ae12c8915c31dc52.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a88bdb7dfda5b188a72e15daf7a82cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.41e9dd4e6b639919f839a3b57eab9848.jpeg

image.jpeg.5ce5236b929d398183f520a99df00514.jpeg

image.jpeg.e5e6bdb4636fe497baccd2b0825bdd89.jpeg

image.jpeg.11e74cc4b7df9df68bdb4ee8a73a3ee0.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Graphics Team · Posted
23 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:

Squad 51 Vs The Flying Saucers (2022) - Horizontal shmup, the story/presentation is actually pretty fun/original and can be finished in a night maybe a few hours.

I remember you mentioning Squad 51 Vs The Flying Saucers in another thread a while back, and as a big fan of campy 70s rubber-suit tokusatsu monster movies, I aaaaalmost dove into a modern game for the first time in ... like ... a decade haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
15 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I remember you mentioning Squad 51 Vs The Flying Saucers in another thread a while back, and as a big fan of campy 70s rubber-suit tokusatsu monster movies, I aaaaalmost dove into a modern game for the first time in ... like ... a decade haha.

-CasualCart

Do you even have the modern consoles to play the games?

There’s heaps of great modern games that are under 20 hours from the majors and indies and some even better than the games they were inspired from.

Celeste

Supet Meat Boy

Guacamelee

Shovel Knight

Cuphead

Shantae games

River City Girls

Streets of Rage 4

Momodora

That should keep you busy for a bit 🙂

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, rdrunner said:

What types of games do you normally like?   Lost Judgment was good and clocks in around 20ish hours even with doing some of the random side quests.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Haha nope - but I've got a decent PC, so I could technically play some modern games if I really wanted to.

-CasualCart

I can see that, VR takes a lot of PC power.  Speaking of that, when we getting our first VR Casual Cart drawing?

YellowishFlippantElephantbeetle-size_res

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I can see that, VR takes a lot of PC power.  Speaking of that, when we getting our first VR Casual Cart drawing?

YellowishFlippantElephantbeetle-size_res

Probably never haha. No offense to the VR enthusiasts out there, but there aren't many platforms that interest me less...

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.36fd8441ec6eadd51331b4ad685fc320.jpeg

• Haha 1

Social Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Probably never haha. No offense to the VR enthusiasts out there, but there aren't many platforms that interest me less...

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.36fd8441ec6eadd51331b4ad685fc320.jpeg

I figured you wouldn't be caught dead with a VR headset on but I had high hopes you'd take inspiration and draw something 

looney-tunes-daffy-duck.gif

• Haha 2