IGNORED

What is your favorite NES video game Publisher besides Nintendo, Capcom and Konami?

I’ll throw a different name in the ring.  How about Tecmo?

Best football game on the system in Tecmo Super Bowl, arguably best football game ever.

Ninja Gaiden  for hardcore platforming action.

Fire N Ice for the puzzle genre.

one of the only sports RPG’s in Tecmo Soccer.

Many other solid sports titles and a variety of different games as well 

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted

Of those three, Konami is the only one that makes it into my top 5 NES publishers:

1 ) Irem (Image Fight / Kickle Cubicle / Metal Storm)

2 ) Taito (Bubble Bobble / Kiwi Kraze / Little Samson / Panic Restaurant / Rainbow Islands)

3 ) Tecmo (Ninja Gaiden / Solomon's Key 2 / Star Force)

4 ) Konami (Bucky O Hare / Life Force / Monster In My Pocket)

5 ) Hudson Soft (Bomberman / Felix the Cat / Xexyz)

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.8027a2caf3f5fe0c42806620ebf1bc8a.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 2:46 PM, Lago said:

I absolutely love me some KOEI on the SNES. Haven’t tried many games on the NES.  Do they play as good?

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons is in my top 5 games of all time.

Functionally, all the games on the NES that also got a SNES release play just as well, it's the bells and whistles that the SNES versions have that make or break whether you'd prefer one over the other.  Honestly, I think the first Uncharted Waters is best on the NES, but that's just preference.  And Romance II has two saves on the SNES version, whereas the NES and Genesis versions only have one, so that's a factor too.  As for the games that didn't get a 16 bit release, I find Genghis Khan to be pretty fun, as well as Bandit Kings.  Honestly, the only ones I could care less about are the two Nobunaga's Ambition games.  The first at least had a way to cheese the game (only have to fight like 3 battles total to win), so I could scratch it off the list, but Nobunaga II I just can't seem to get into, no matter how many times I try.

• 2 weeks later...

Sachen. They released a large amount of independent games, filling in voids such as Taiwan rules mahjong, Chinese chess, as well as Chinese style checkers. 

Furthermore they promoted for kids to stay off drugs, released gaming machines to be used in hot springs motels for gaming, and actually took IP to a somewhat serious extent. A few of their games were derivative, but they decided to get out of the game due to software piracy...yeah, those "repros" that people act so innocent about.

• Like 3

It sort of feels difficult to rank Sachen since they had such a long and storied career with highs and lows. I remember a time where it felt like the popular consensus was that their games were kinda bad, but honestly most of their titles were solid, especially when you compare them to what most of the NES library is instead of the equivalent of triple A devs like Capcom. I don't know if I could call them my favorite since they didn't release anything I'd call an all-time favorite for me on the NES, but 60 mostly good games is super impressive no matter how you slice it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

Color Dreams, unironically.

Secret Scout was an interesting Metroidvania that kept dead enemies dead. So many of the games are bad, but still beatable, and come with interesting physics to learn.

Those games are a lot better than the NES -exclusive film /superhero titles, imo, which also have unfair mechanisms and poor controls generally.

5 hours ago, Ankos said:

I remember a time where it felt like the popular consensus was that their games were kinda bad...

These are the same types of people who shit on Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) for fashion. Of course a mahjong game is going to suck if you don't know how to play 😛

I sat and played through the whole NES/Famicom catalog, and the vast majority of the games are average at worst. There's the good titles, the ones that have potential but are somewhat marred by poor music or controls, etc. 

As I'm a gamer but also look from a historical perspective, I see Sachen as being quite significant, and I've got a ton of respect for them. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

As I'm a gamer but also look from a historical perspective, I see Sachen as being quite significant, and I've got a ton of respect for them. 

As far as Taiwanese game companies go Sachen has to be the most accomplished by a significant margin. Making games for over a decade is hard, and Sachen made a lot of games

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, Lago said:

I’ll throw a different name in the ring.  How about Tecmo?

Best football game on the system in Tecmo Super Bowl, arguably best football game ever.

Ninja Gaiden  for hardcore platforming action.

Fire N Ice for the puzzle genre.

one of the only sports RPG’s in Tecmo Soccer.

Many other solid sports titles and a variety of different games as well 

Tecmo World Wrestling is my favorite wrestling game for the NES, hands down.

• Like 1