IGNORED

What is your favorite NES video game Publisher besides Nintendo, Capcom and Konami?

Like the title says, whom do you love most besides Nintendo, Capcom and Konami for any reasons at all. 

-Gameplay

-Music

-Story

-Innovation 

-Collectability

-Nostalgia 

-Etc.

My favorite Publisher would have to be Sunsoft. Journey to Silius might be my fav game on the system, although that is up for debate! Batman is also another fantastic game. Sunsoft has some of the most slamming soundtracks without a doubt

For a wonderful webpage and Publisher list, check out this website. I use it constantly 

https://nesguide.com/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, killerkobra said:

My favorite Publisher would have to be Sunsoft. Journey to Silius might be my fav game on the system, although that is up for debate! Batman is also another fantastic game. Sunsoft has some of the most slamming soundtracks without a doubt

You win your own thread.  Sunsoft doesn’t have the quantity but they sure have the quality.  And they put out sick beats.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

You basically won the topic before even a shot was fired.  Konami and Capcom had some very nicely done works both in quality and quantity, nearly as trust worthy as Nintendo themselves you could just buy and not regret it basically.  No one else hit that, at least not both qualifications.  Hudson kind of comes close but had enough stinkers, same with Sunsoft -- high quality but hit and miss quality too in the quantity of titles.

I guess if you're just an RPG nut Enix was a very safe bet with just those 4 games in the US, and none sucked, though DW2 was a bit rough. 😛

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Koei was my favorite publisher.  I saw Genghis Khan on an old 286 computer back in the day and loved it. When I saw that Koei ported it and other historical simulation games to the Nes I went out and bought a system.  Genghis Khan, Bandit Kings of Ancient China and Gemfire are ones I fire up yearly and play still.

Sunsoft is up there for me, and not just for Batman.

Checking my collection, Tecmo is also a big one, and I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned.

I actually don't have that many Capcom games. I also have several from SNK, and while I wouldn't say it's my favorite publisher, I did get both NTVIC games, Rock 'N Ball and Isolated Warrior. Both are solid.

I was interested to see what was going on here. Great conversation. 

When you take out the big three it presents and interesting dilemma. Most of the rest had a couple good games... maybe? then a bunch of shitty ones?

There's some good mentions that I would agree with, though. Hudson Soft, Tradewest probably...

On 10/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, killerkobra said:

Like the title says, whom do you love most besides Nintendo, Capcom and Konami for any reasons at all. 

-Gameplay

-Music

-Story

-Innovation 

-Collectability

-Nostalgia 

-Etc.

For a wonderful webpage and Publisher list, check out this website. I use it constantly 

Great thread, and great link. I never actually thought about all the different publishers. Mostly because most of the library is such shit, haha. But this website is really interesting!! And looking at the the games based on the publisher is really neat.

-Gameplay

-Music

-Story

-Innovation 

-Collectability

-Nostalgia 

-Etc.

Wait one second here....  are we talking about the "Developer"?

I mean... the Developer would have been the company to actually MAKE the game? But I think they are interchangeable here based on the question asked?

I get what you're asking so I know it doesn't quite matter, but I re-read it and you said publisher a few items so I figured I'd ask to clarify, haha...

Also, this website has both as options and I'm find it intriguing to look at each.

This makes me wonder how many occasions the developer was NOT the publisher.... 🤔

Maybe it's light trolling to some, but how about I pull one completely out of the back end here and say ASMIK.

They only had 3 games on the NES (plus Altered Beast on famicom, which is quite good for a sega arcade port considering others we got too or did just over there.)

The weakest would be Top Players Tennis, and that's not saying much because for a tennis game you really wouldn't do better on here unless you just want a mindless pong clone with the black box game, default win for fans of the sport.

But what of the other two?

Conquest of the Crystal Palace & WURM Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Both of them have hard anime vibes within the game, and if you check the JP release, that will check all the boxes.  Conquest is a fantastic action platforming game, one of the systems most forgotten highpoints.  It plays very well, solid visuals, audio, and interesting mechanics both with it and its cool shop too.  The story works, it has some purpose to it unlike others that are manual filler.  It's not too hard, definitely not easy either, plays fair not cheap.

And then there's WURM, multi-genre mash up on this one, and needless to say utterly unique.  It's like playing out an episode/issue of some anime/manga really, and the various moments of said episode/volume too.  The story is hard core interwoven with the entire mechanic of each step of the game, especially when it hits to sub-boss/boss too.  The game is three parts of a whole, a side scrolling shooter(digger?), hack n slash platformer, first person (horizontal) rail shooter with plot lines/conquences to answers during the fight.  Seriously some weird stuff going on here, but as much as it should be stupid, boring, infuriating and just plain wrong...it's not, it's actually fun.  The flight/digging part works well, the hack and slash I guess is weakest which really isn't, just be careful.  And then the boss fights are like some power ranger level stuff where you get your crew and you talking and your answers will allow for more damage to chip away at the boss around when you're normally in first person mode blasting the crap out of it.  The banter+shooting get it down to where you can do a death blow...and onto the next episode.  I recently got this cart a couple months back, what an unpolished and unearthed gem it is.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AirVillain said:

This makes me wonder how many occasions the developer was NOT the publisher.... 🤔

Quite a few, maybe even more often than not, given all the second and third party companies that were active back then.

Nintendo often published games developed by others, even other publishers. Faxanadu is Hudson Soft, Final Fantasy is Square of course (along with Rad Racer.) Even the black box games 10-Yard-Fight and Slalom weren't theirs (Irem and Rare, respectively.)

Some even had "shadow developers." Micronics often did early Capcom ports, even games Capcom themselves did for the arcade.

The whole NES developer/publisher situation is so convoluted that it's hard to nail down exactly who did what for every single game. I don't think they ever conclusively found out the developer for the X-Men NES game. (It wasn't LJN, they never developed anything.) Also kind of explains why some games had their sequels published by different companies, like Baseball Stars 1 and 2, and the two GI Joe games.

Technos was all over the place, especially their Kunio-kun series. They published two NES games (River City Ransom and Crash N the Boys) under their American Technos label, but Trade West published Double Dragon, Acclaim published the sequels, Taito published Renegade (Taito also published the arcade version), Nintendo published Super Spike V'Ball/Nintendo World Cup, and Sony Imagesoft did Super Dodgeball.

BTW, nesguide is wrong, Technos didn't develop the port of Tag Team Wrestling, Data East did with another developer. Technos did the arcade, though.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

They only had 3 games on the NES (plus Altered Beast on famicom, which is quite good for a sega arcade port considering others we got too or did just over there.)

They also did Cosmic Epsilon, which is a pretty decent Space Harrier clone. Way better than the Space Harrier Famicom port itself.

Edited by Tulpa

Looking at that website I am pretty surprised at how few games a lot of these publishers have to their names. I was looking at the game list for Sachen earlier and they have about 60 games. If I had to pick a favorite I'd say something like Taito or Hudson and then feel bad that I didn't say a smaller company like Vic Tokai

12 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Quite a few, maybe even more often than not, given all the second and third party companies that were active back then.

Nintendo often published games developed by others, even other publishers. Faxanadu is Hudson Soft, Final Fantasy is Square of course (along with Rad Racer.) Even the black box games 10-Yard-Fight and Slalom weren't theirs (Irem and Rare, respectively.)

Some even had "shadow developers." Micronics often did early Capcom ports, even games Capcom themselves did for the arcade.

The whole NES developer/publisher situation is so convoluted that it's hard to nail down exactly who did what for every single game. I don't think they ever conclusively found out the developer for the X-Men NES game. (It wasn't LJN, they never developed anything.) Also kind of explains why some games had their sequels published by different companies, like Baseball Stars 1 and 2, and the two GI Joe games.

Technos was all over the place, especially their Kunio-kun series. They published two NES games (River City Ransom and Crash N the Boys) under their American Technos label, but Trade West published Double Dragon, Acclaim published the sequels, Taito published Renegade (Taito also published the arcade version), Nintendo published Super Spike V'Ball/Nintendo World Cup, and Sony Imagesoft did Super Dodgeball.

BTW, nesguide is wrong, Technos didn't develop the port of Tag Team Wrestling, Data East did with another developer. Technos did the arcade, though.

I find it fascinating!

Thanks for the quick breakdown. It's crazy to think about all the different people, and shadow developers and what not, working on the different games.  🤯

3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I find it fascinating!

Thanks for the quick breakdown. It's crazy to think about all the different people, and shadow developers and what not, working on the different games.  🤯

I barely scratched the surface. It's a real rabbit hole.

You want to really deep dive, look at the publisher differences between NES and Famicom. It gets crazy.

Speaking of Rare, they're another developer all over the map with publishers. Nintendo, Tradewest, Konami/Ultra (Silent Service and Pirates are both Rare), Milton Bradley, GameTek, Hi-Tech Expressions, LJN and Acclaim published their games.

In fact, Rare did every US Milton Bradley game except Abadox and World Games and every Tradewest game except Double Dragon and I think Magic Johnson's Fast Break.

Edited by Tulpa

20 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I barely scratched the surface. It's a real rabbit hole.

You want to really deep dive, look at the publisher differences between NES and Famicom. It gets crazy.

Speaking of Rare, they're another developer all over the map with publishers. Nintendo, Tradewest, Konami/Ultra (Silent Service and Pirates are both Rare), Milton Bradley, GameTek, Hi-Tech Expressions, LJN and Acclaim published their games.

In fact, Rare did every US Milton Bradley game except Abadox and World Games and every Tradewest game except Double Dragon and I think Magic Johnson's Fast Break.

Great quick overview. Just that stuff alone is pretty radical to think about, haha. 

But the rest.... you're right....

White Rabbit GIF

Natsume.  They developed Shatterhand, Dragon Fighter, Power Blade 1 & 2, Shadow of the Ninja, SCAT, Abadox, and a few others.  Most were published by other companies though.

I was going to say American Sammy (they have some notable Gameboy games too) but when I looked up their games they were more noteworthy as a publisher, although they did develop Arkista's Ring.  

• Like 3