IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - GODZILLA!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Let out your loudest roar, for it is time for the King of the monsters roam free!
It is time for GODZILLA!

For this week filled of kaiju Action the rules are as follow:

• Start on Earth. You cannot use passwords to start in more advanced planets.
  • Play till you die the first time either with Godzilla or with Mothra
  • Pause the game when you die and take your picture
  • Highest level + highest score wins
  • Genre: Action

@Dr. Morbishas a nearly impossible mission this week in order to become the action genre champion. He needs that @PIIends outside of the top 10 in order to win since he is 18 points behind! Best of luck!

The contest ends Sunday, 10/23/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

When I was a kid, one of the kids down the street got this game for his birthday and promptly had a "Godzilla party" where he invited every able-bodied boy in the neighbourhood to come over one Saturday so we could beat the game together.  Now I can't remember if we beat it or not, or even if it has continues or if we kept starting over, but I do remember hanging out with other kids and talking about Nintendo all day long, sprinkled in with taking an inept try at the controls once every hour or so when my turn came up.

SCORE EDIT - I did some button mashing: Earth 291,870 Level 03

GZ-1.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

This isn't one I own so I'm out this week. I took a look at all the random crossover games I own for the FC and SFC, and surprisingly Godzilla is only in Battle Baseball and Battle Soccer. He also looks to only be in one Super Robot Taisen game, X-Ω, which is/was a mobile game. That sweet, sweet Godzilla IP must be hard to get.

Best of luck, everyone!

15 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Let out your loudest roar, for it is time for the King of the monsters roam free!
It is time for GODZILLA!

For this week filled of kaiju Action the rules are as follow:

• Play on Earth
  • Play till you die the first time either with Godzilla or with Mothra
  • Pause the game when you die and take your picture
  • Highest level + highest score wins
  • Genre: Action 

Do you start on Earth or have to stay on Earth? I've been playing this for almost an hour without leaving Earth and have a score over 800,000 and my Level seems to have maxed out at 3. I've never played this game before and I haven't even come close to losing a life. When I got to the other side of the map it asked if I wanted to move on to the next area, but I want to make sure what the rules are before doing anything.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I still haven't lost a life and I've gotten over a million points. I'm still on Level 3 so I guess that's as high as you can get without leaving earth.

Double Dragon 2 coming up soon. I can't wait to take you on! You'll probably win though.

45 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Double Dragon 2 coming up soon. I can't wait to take you on! You'll probably win though.

I'm definitely looking forward to that one. I have a feeling this game might end up getting switched to low score/progress since you could play forever under the current rules. I've never played this before and I haven't even come close to dying on Earth. @BeaIank @guillavoie

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Just now, BeaIank said:

You can play forever on Earth, gather millions and millions of points. And then someone reaches Mars, makes to level 4 with a 10th of your score and wins it.
It is highest level first, highest score second.

Since the rules say play on Earth I thought we had to stay there until we lost a life. So we are allowed to go to the next planet then?

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Since the rules say play on Earth I thought we had to stay there until we lost a life. So we are allowed to go to the next planet then?

Yes, you must start on Earth.

I will change the rules to make that clearer.

• Thanks 1

Never played this one. Will put it on flash cart and get a participation score in next few days.

Really wanting to go back and play top gun. Left a lot on the table there. Would never have won, but I should have cleared level 3 and seen another 10-20k. Plans all day sat and sun night made it tough to find run time. Great game selection. It was crazy fun getting some proficiancy at it after years of hearing and believing its just unplayablely hard. 

• Agree 1

On 10/16/2022 at 5:55 PM, BeaIank said:

Play till you die the first time either with Godzilla or with Mothra

So, do we have to keep both Godzilla and Mothra alive the whole time? And the Run is over as soon as either one perishes?  Or can we let one die and get the respawn on the next ring field?

Just want to be sure. 

Also, if I understand this right the order is:  Furthest planet, then highest level, and finally score... to determine who leads?

Edited by PII

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Never played this one. Will put it on flash cart and get a participation score in next few days.

Really wanting to go back and play top gun. Left a lot on the table there. Would never have won, but I should have cleared level 3 and seen another 10-20k. Plans all day sat and sun night made it tough to find run time. Great game selection. It was crazy fun getting some proficiancy at it after years of hearing and believing its just unplayablely hard. 

I might play some Double Dragon II and knock the rust off. This game isn't bad, but it's a bit slow paced and I couldn't really get into it.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, mbd39 said:

It turns out that I am pretty rusty. I played this morning and only got 158k. Anything under 160k is just embarrassing.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Events Team · Posted

Manipulating tons of enemy off screen, manipulating them to kill themselves in the stage hazards and taking it very, very slowly. It wasn't fun. Playing for highscore isn't fun either because it is all about spamming the same high scoring attack.

You will be timing your runs.

• Like 1