IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tecmo Bowl!

BeaIank

Okay, so I didn't break my score yet...but I did have a 5 touchdown quarter, so it's feasible to do...had I played the rest of the game well we'd have a new high score!  Against a 3-pass-play offence like Miami and San Francisco, you are more likely to get timely interceptions, so kick deep instead of short to minimize the play.  That said, San Francisco really liked to defend against the run, so Tim Brown was the hero of that game.  I think Bo only got 2-3 touchdowns.  I also managed to return an interception for a touchdown, so that was a handy play too.  And on the plus side, that forced me to get better at the passing game so as to actually score, so that's a plus too.

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

He probably should be anyway.  Just saying.

Anyway, I matched your score with Bo against Miami thanks to a bunch of interceptions, but I'm thinking against a passing offence like theirs, it may be better to do long kicks for the interceptions.  I'm gonna try it out when I play San Francisco...

Wow, great job! I'm probably just going to stick with what I've got, so hopefully you are able to get a better score. I've had  5 touchdown quarters before, but I haven't been able to do it in a game where I had 4 TDs in the others.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Do you actually have Sqoon CIB?  Anyway, I need to upgrade my Life Force box, so I'll pm you my shipping address and you can send it on over to a collection more deserving of it... 😉

Not yet 🙂 that box…I’m probably competing against dentists for a nice condition box. I just started dialing in towards collecting the nes shooters cib. I have been sacrificing a lot of my loose nes and other system pieces to fund it. HA! My collection is far from elite but it does have class that outshines it’s owner.

here is the cib shooters so far in order purchased…..long way to go. Lol

D6A52A4E-78DC-486B-B597-9AE2F2462689.jpeg

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Not yet 🙂 that box…I’m probably competing against dentists for a nice condition box. I just started dialing in towards collecting the nes shooters cib. I have been sacrificing a lot of my loose nes and other system pieces to fund it. HA! My collection is far from elite but it does have class that outshines it’s owner.

here is the cib shooters so far in order purchased…..long way to go. Lol

D6A52A4E-78DC-486B-B597-9AE2F2462689.jpeg

That'll be a pretty cool subset.  My favourite is Zanac, so you'll have to add that one to be truly legit.  And good luck with both the Sqoon box and trying to find a decently priced Gun-Nac.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Okay, so I didn't break my score yet...but I did have a 5 touchdown quarter, so it's feasible to do...had I played the rest of the game well we'd have a new high score!  Against a 3-pass-play offence like Miami and San Francisco, you are more likely to get timely interceptions, so kick deep instead of short to minimize the play.  That said, San Francisco really liked to defend against the run, so Tim Brown was the hero of that game.  I think Bo only got 2-3 touchdowns.  I also managed to return an interception for a touchdown, so that was a handy play too.  And on the plus side, that forced me to get better at the passing game so as to actually score, so that's a plus too.

Any luck breaking the 112 mark? I'll be out watching football all day, so you should be able to get the win if you beat my score.

So there are two ways to play for highest score differential: short kicks and then hope for an INT, but if you don't get it, their 4th down attempt is your insurance against a punt since they always go for it at midfield.  OR, the real way to play for the world record would be to always do long kicks and then get a pick-6 on their first throw every time and never let them punt.  This would take hours and hours though, as even one punt happens and your attempt is over.  And sometimes they decide to do three runs in a row, so you'd need to play a perfect game and have them not triple run even once the whole game.  So long story short, 112 is very beatable, but it would take possibly many weeks of playing the game over and over for hours until you get your perfect game...    ...or half an hour and the use of an emulator...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis wow both those boxes are clean! Hopefully I can get both of those boxes as well. I have all the shooter carts and quite a few manuals.

Yeah, Sqoon has some wear on the top edge, but is otherwise pretty minty, and Gun-Nac was opened from a sealed VGA slab by wiz so we could add the game to the Sealed Contents list.  Most of my boxes are 8/10 or better, but Life Force is one of the worst ones I have, that's why I posted when I saw your pic.

Anyway, spend 20 minutes playing a game of Tecmo Bowl and post a score... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, Sqoon has some wear on the top edge, but is otherwise pretty minty, and Gun-Nac was opened from a sealed VGA slab by wiz so we could add the game to the Sealed Contents list.  Most of my boxes are 8/10 or better, but Life Force is one of the worst ones I have, that's why I posted when I saw your pic.

Anyway, spent 20 minutes playing a game of Tecmo Bowl and post a score... 😛

you got stinger hang tab?

14 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

you got stinger hang tab?

Yeah, dead mint opened from sealed by wiz while I filmed it.  It's actually still on youtube but it's private so you'd need to ask wiz for the link.  I got all of his boxes and manuals (that I needed) in 2008 when he decided to go loose.

Oh, and speaking as a collector: 99.9% of Stinger boxes will be hang tab - there may be only a small handful of Rev-A boxes of that game still left in existence...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, dead mint opened from sealed by wiz while I filmed it.  It's actually still on youtube but it's private so you'd need to ask wiz for the link.  I got all of his boxes and manuals (that I needed) in 2008 when he decided to go loose.

Oh, and speaking as a collector: 99.9% of Stinger boxes will be hang tab - there may be only a small handful of Rev-A boxes of that game still left in existence...

I think nesgangsta has a three screw.

do you have all the shooter boxes?

Edited by docile tapeworm

16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Shouldn't you be posting a score?

That would require me getting off the coach and I’m grilling legs right now.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, my CIB NES set is only missing 7 games, and none of them are shooters (Samson, Power Blade 2, SE, Myriad, and the three Panesians).

Dang. Makes sense as your not very good at playing the games so it’s better if you just go for an elite collection 💅🏻

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Dang. Makes sense as your not very good at playing the games so it’s better if you just go for an elite collection 💅🏻

You're pretty outspoken for a one-trick pony, but you better get it out of your system while you can, as you're going to be a no-trick pony after I'm done with you in October... 😉

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You're pretty outspoken for a one-trick pony, but you better get it out of your system while you can, as you're going to be a no-trick pony after I'm done with you in October... 😉

well as far as I’m concerned I have already won the shooter trophy this year. Top gun doesn’t count and we all know it 🙂 

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Hey I appreciate that krunch! I got one coming in the mail next week. 

Nice nice I hope you dig that and found a nice one.  Wide variance of condition on that one.   I've always gotten lucky with finding this game, I've had 4 (5?) Stinger boxes total including this one, most of the boxes were on the rough side though.   Glad I held onto this last CIB when I had 2 and this one's the best I've had.  Actually as far as shooters go I quite enjoyed this one in the recent contest.  Konami just makes good shit no matter the genre.  Way better than Capcom

• Haha 1