IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tecmo Bowl!

BeaIank

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Well you're probably winning this week, then.  I don't know how on earth you manage to get four touchdowns per quarter, but I can assure you that my score is going to look like a joke in comparison...

We had three scores over 100 the last time we played this in 2020 and a 5th place tie at 84, so I'm sure you will figure it out and put up a good score.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

We had three scores over 100 the last time we played this in 2020 and a 5th place tie at 84, so I'm sure you will figure it out and put up a good score.

Time will definitely tell.  I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it's kind of cool that we're playing a football game for the week that the NFL season starts up...

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well you're probably winning this week, then.  I don't know how on earth you manage to get four touchdowns per quarter, but I can assure you that my score is going to look like a joke in comparison...

Yeah, ive played plenty of tecmo bowl and never understood the insanely high scores people post when it comes up in these contests. The clock goes so quick. I consider it a feat to get to like 50 pts. 100+ is crazy. 

I also never knew about that glitch. I am more of a TSB guy, but Ive played enough tb that its really surprising I never happened upon it by mistake. 

39 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Yeah, ive played plenty of tecmo bowl and never understood the insanely high scores people post when it comes up in these contests. The clock goes so quick. I consider it a feat to get to like 50 pts. 100+ is crazy. 

I also never knew about that glitch. I am more of a TSB guy, but Ive played enough tb that its really surprising I never happened upon it by mistake. 

The clock stops every play and if you are quick getting to the other QB on defense, you can get the ball back and only lose about 10 game seconds on a possesion.

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Good by my standards. Timely pick had me in there shooting for 70. 4 yards short. That seems like or close to my max without research.  100+ just doesnt seem possible!!

63 -0 = 63

20220904_222731.jpg

I'll give you a hint. If your opponent is punting the ball to you after you stop them on defense, that is wasting a lot of time.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'll give you a hint. If your opponent is punting the ball to you after you stop them on defense, that is wasting a lot of time.

I thought about doing short kickoffs because the cpu seems to go for it on 4th down if they are more around mid field. That leaves a lot of field to cover when you get it back though. Seems like the only way to get to a score like yours would be picking off cpu every time they throw. Even with lotts speed, lots of ground to cover if you dont know where hes throwing it

Just now, NESfiend said:

I thought about doing short kickoffs because the cpu seems to go for it on 4th down if they are more around mid field. That leaves a lot of field to cover when you get it back though. Seems like the only way to get to a score like yours would be picking off cpu every time they throw. Even with lotts speed, lots of ground to cover if you dont know where hes throwing it

Short kickoffs are key. The CPU will go for it on 4th down near mid field. When you stop them and they turn it over you can usually get a one play touchdown on a deep throw.

• Thanks 1

20220907_212155.thumb.jpg.17c02bab56d7d04e9fe811c171a3e5e0.jpg

Well, it's looking like a tie for first now...unless someone can squeak ahead.  For some reason I found Miami's playbook to be really easy to snag interceptions with...I may have to play against them again at some point and go for long kicks so I get better field position off the interceptions instead of having Bo Jackson running 40+ yards every possession.  Even Bo needs a break from time to time 😛

100 point barrier has been broken!  Had a perfect first half, with two timely interceptions, however the second half was hindered by my own ineptitude.  Managed to salvage the game with a last second 45 yard field goal to get a new post.  This may be my own personal peak, but at least I'm enjoying it.

--------

Pretty sure the theoretical max would be @Bearcat-Doug at 112, though a well timed field goal could bump that a bit.  Still, you have to be pretty good with the short kicks to ensure they don't punt (usually if they return to around the 45, and you shut down their offence, they'll go for fourth, otherwise they'll punt/attempt a field goal).  Took a while to get a game this solid in the books, and while Bo Jackson isn't the beast he is in TSB, he's still pretty damn potent.  I've tried out a few teams, including San Francisco, but the Raiders were the ones that seemed to gel best for me.  That may change though, there's still plenty of week to go...

A bit of an aside here, I figure I might as well give my impressions.  Pretty solid pick-up-and-play football game, but there's really not much to it IMO.  I much prefer the more simmy NES Play Action Football over this, but it's not terrible.  Definitely a lot easier, and you could probably finish a season in the time it takes to knock off like two games in PAF.  Maybe it's my nostalgia glasses, but yeah, PAF is still my preferred hand-egg game on the NES.

As a side note for @BeaIank, since there was no rule against it, I've just been continuing my season rather than restarting every time.  I figure if I'm gonna be spending the week grinding this, I may as well knock it off my personal completion list.  I haven't noticed any difference with the AI yet, so I don't think it makes a difference, but if it does, please let me know so I don't go too much further.  I don't mind, as I'd like to try a few other teams still, and I've noticed the Raiders D doesn't have nearly the speed I'd like, even with Beastly Bo scoring touchdowns whenever he touches the ball 😛

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Pretty sure the theoretical max would be @Bearcat-Doug at 112, though a well timed field goal could bump that a bit.  Still, you have to be pretty good with the short kicks to ensure they don't punt (usually if they return to around the 45, and you shut down their offence, they'll go for fourth, otherwise they'll punt/attempt a field goal).  Took a while to get a game this solid in the books, and while Bo Jackson isn't the beast he is in TSB, he's still pretty damn potent.  I've tried out a few teams, including San Francisco, but the Raiders were the ones that seemed to gel best for me.  That may change though, there's still plenty of week to go...

The Twin Galaxies record is 126, so my score is beatable if you can get a few interceptions early in the opponents drive.

21 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Twin Galaxies record is 126, so my score is beatable if you can get a few interceptions early in the opponents drive.

I haven't managed to get any better yet, or even get close, but given how tough it is to get interceptions with the Raiders due to how slow their D is, I think I'll just keep chipping away as is.  Regardless, I think I'm pretty safely in second for this round, so I'm not gonna sweat it too much.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He'd have to do all running plays though, since tapeworms don't have arms...

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Oddly enough, I think he did play as the Raiders and run it with Bo Jackson every play last time. 

Yup. Raiders. Run every play with bo. Short kick offs and try to intercept with….I can’t remember I think I was using an lb on defense.

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Yup. Raiders. Run every play with bo. Short kick offs and try to intercept with….I can’t remember I think I was using an lb on defense.

Bo probably would have been a Hall of Famer in baseball and football if the Bengals didn't end his career. I swear the Bengals became a cursed franchise after losing the Super Bowl in 1989.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Bo probably would have been a Hall of Famer in baseball and football if the Bengals didn't end his career. I swear the Bengals became a cursed franchise after losing the Super Bowl in 1989.

He probably should be anyway.  Just saying.

Anyway, I matched your score with Bo against Miami thanks to a bunch of interceptions, but I'm thinking against a passing offence like theirs, it may be better to do long kicks for the interceptions.  I'm gonna try it out when I play San Francisco...