Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tecmo Bowl!


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

Events Team · Posted

It is TIME to PLAY BALL!

This will be the sportiests sport week to ever sport!
Our might sport players will sport on a very sports like game, Tecmo Bowl!

There rules are our usual for this one:

  • 1 player only
  • Choose whichever team you want
  • You must play a complete game
  • Take your picture on the final results screen (the screen that looks like a newspaper and shows the final score)
  • Your score will be the differential between your score and the computer’s score
  • Ex: You 35 CPU 14 = score of 21
  • Ex: You 14 CPU 35 = score of -21
  • In the event of a tie, the greater number of points scored by you in the 1st quarter will break the tie.  If a tiebreaker is still needed, the greater number of points scored by you in the 2nd quarter will break that tie.
  • No making successful passes in your own zone (that is the touchdown zone of your opponent).  This causes you to get a touchdown.  Anyone suspected of doing this to rack up their score will have their score disqualified.
  • Greatest differential between your score and the computer wins.  A positive score takes preference over a negative score
  • GENRE: Sports


The contest ends Sunday, 09/11/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand this rule: No making successful passes in your own zone (that is the touchdown zone of your opponent).  @BeaIank exactly where on the field are we not allowed to pass from?  VGMaps has a picture of the football field; could you like circle the area we are not allowed to pass from or something?

SCORE EDIT - This game is still fun, but tough to go back to after playing TSB.  Anyway, here's my score: 28

SCORE EDIT #2 - This is the best I can do for the amount of time I was willing to put in: 98

 

TB-3.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't understand this rule: No making successful passes in your own zone (that is the touchdown zone of your opponent).  @BeaIank exactly where on the field are we not allowed to pass from?  VGMaps has a picture of the football field; could you like circle the area we are not allowed to pass from or something?

This rule is to cover this specific bug:

If you get a successful pass inside the area where your opponent touchdowns, you get a touchdown.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

This rule is to cover this specific bug:

If you get a successful pass inside the area where your opponent touchdowns, you get a touchdown.

Oh, wow, I didn't even know about that glitch.  I guess it's moot anyway since it looks like Doug's a ringer!  I kinda wish we all had to be the worst team in the league or the team with the worst QB - whoever that is, but I guess it's all San Fran all week long for this compo...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Oh, wow, I didn't even know about that glitch.  I guess it's moot anyway since it looks like Doug's a ringer!  I kinda wish we all had to be the worst team in the league or the team with the worst QB - whoever that is, but I guess it's all San Fran all week long for this compo...

Seattle has the worst defense, but you can blow out about any team with the 49ers.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I considered forcing you all picking the worst team vs the best team, but I don't care enough about "Football" that is played with hands with an oval ball to figure out which team is the worst in this game.

I'm just glad that the Cincinnati round football team is decent this year after the last few god awful seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I considered forcing you all picking the worst team vs the best team, but I don't care enough about "Football" that is played with hands with an oval ball to figure out which team is the worst in this game.

Hey, it's not oval, it's a prolate spheroid!  But I do agree that it's pretty ridiculous that this sport is called football, especially when the most popular and most played sport on the planet already had that name first...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Hey, it's not oval, it's a prolate spheroid!  But I do agree that it's pretty ridiculous that this sport is called football, especially when the most popular and most played sport on the planet already had that name first...

Alas, but if someone figures out the worst team overall in the game, I can amend the rules to make you all play it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm just glad that the Cincinnati round football team is decent this year after the last few god awful seasons.

Yeah, it's just too bad that the one time in a generation that Cincy is actually good happens to coincide with the AFC having the highest number of really quality QB's I've ever seen in my life...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Hey, it's not oval, it's a prolate spheroid!  But I do agree that it's pretty ridiculous that this sport is called football, especially when the most popular and most played sport on the planet already had that name first...

Prolate spheroid ball does have a ring to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it's just too bad that the one time in a generation that Cincy is actually good happens to coincide with the AFC having the highest number of really quality QB's I've ever seen in my life...

I was actually talking about FC Cincinnati. They are at least respectable this year after being the worst team in the league the last few seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Seattle has the worst defense, but you can blow out about any team with the 49ers.

But who has the worst offense?  I think that's most important when picking a team that it's hardest to rack up the score with...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

But who has the worst offense?  I think that's most important when picking a team that it's hardest to rack up the score with...

The teams are fairly balanced honestly. Since they only used 12 teams, they seemed to pick ones that were good when the game was made.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Alas, but if someone figures out the worst team overall in the game, I can amend the rules to make you all play it!

If you want to torture everyone, make them play 10 Yard Fight next season. I'm probably the only person that thinks it's kinda fun.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

The teams are fairly balanced honestly. Since they only used 12 teams, they seemed to pick ones that were good when the game was made.  

Seems logical.  I just checked gamefaqs and they did not have a definitive worst team in any of the guides either.  The real problem is that Tecmo Super Bowl basically made this game pointless when it came out, so there's no real reason for someone to over-analyze this game when anyone playing football on the NES is going to default to TSB instead...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Seems logical.  I just checked gamefaqs and they did not have a definitive worst team in any of the guides either.  The real problem is that Tecmo Super Bowl basically made this game pointless when it came out, so there's no real reason for someone to over-analyze this game when anyone playing football on the NES is going to default to TSB instead...

Very true. Plus Tecmo Super Bowl has the Bengals in it and they were good since it came out the year after they went to the Super Bowl in 1989. This is basically like a NES version of NFL Blitz.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Very true. Plus Tecmo Super Bowl has the Bengals in it and they were good since it came out the year after they went to the Super Bowl in 1989.

I actually played as Cincy the first time I ever beat TSB, going 11-5 and squeaking out a one point victory in the Super Bowl!  I've gotten a lot better since then, but that first completion was pretty exhilarating...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually played as Cincy the first time I ever beat TSB, going 11-5 and squeaking out a one point victory in the Super Bowl!  I've gotten a lot better since then, but that first completion was pretty exhilarating...

We played Tecmo Super Bowl back in 2017. I beat the Browns with the Bengals 104-0 and that was still 1 point short of the 5th place score that week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

We played Tecmo Super Bowl back in 2017. I beat the Browns with the Bengals 104-0 and that was still 1 point short of the 5th place score that week.

Well you're probably winning this week, then.  I don't know how on earth you manage to get four touchdowns per quarter, but I can assure you that my score is going to look like a joke in comparison...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...