Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Stinger!


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I love skyhawk. I have never understood how it has the reputation of a bad game. One of my favorites to play thru every year for completions thread. There is a score on it. Would make a good contest game....

I think we played it back in 2015. I don't remember if it came up again after that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I love skyhawk. I have never understood how it has the reputation of a bad game. One of my favorites to play thru every year for completions thread. There is a score on it. Would make a good contest game....

We played it once before (I won *Ric flair gif) the o my issue is you can rack points at the base battles with the jet. You can just spam the jet over and over without destroying the base. You could rule it so that if you destroy a jet at the base battle your run would be over. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

We played it once before (I won *Ric flair gif) the o my issue is you can rack points at the base battles with the jet. You can just spam the jet over and over without destroying the base. You could rule it so that if you destroy a jet at the base battle your run would be over. 

Or if you miss the base your run is over. Or maybe you get three chances and that's it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
41 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Is it considered a bad game? It has a decent Gamefaqs score of 3.52/5 and it's an extremely common cart so probably sold well.

 

I guess it may not be. My perspective on whats considered good/bad is pretty narrow. Mainly influenced by the old NA threads. There were tons of them about what games people like, games that are good but dont get talked about, etc. etc. I dont recall anyone but me ever bringing uo skyhawk. Between that and the fact that gamestores will damn near pay you to take a copy, doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

“Miss the base”?

I may have misread you. I thought you meant those levels where you have to drop something into a target or they keep looping forever.

 

 

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I may have misread you. I thought you meant those levels where you have to drop something into a target or they keep looping forever.

 

 

Ok. So there are stages with base that are like a diamond shape 💠 and a jet will fly through. The levels where you drop items don’t loop forever you would run out of fuel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, docile tapeworm said:

Ok. So there are stages with base that are like a diamond shape 💠 and a jet will fly through. The levels where you drop items don’t loop forever you would run out of fuel. 

Okay, I know which stages you're referring to now.

I don't recall ever paying attention to fuel or running out of it, but it's been awhile since I've played. I thought you could loop those item drop levels forever.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I guess it may not be. My perspective on whats considered good/bad is pretty narrow. Mainly influenced by the old NA threads. There were tons of them about what games people like, games that are good but dont get talked about, etc. etc. I dont recall anyone but me ever bringing uo skyhawk. Between that and the fact that gamestores will damn near pay you to take a copy, doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the game. 

@docile tapeworm likes his shooters. It seems like he was really into Sqoon when we played it and that's a game you don't hear much about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Okay, I know which stages you're referring to now.

I don't recall ever paying attention to fuel or running out of it, but it's been awhile since I've played. I thought you could loop those item drop levels forever.

I thought the same. You can definitely run through them a lot. I remember when I first got real into the game, Id get the yips on those drops off a pixel or two. That level kept going and going and going. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I dont recall anyone but me ever bringing uo skyhawk. Between that and the fact that gamestores will damn near pay you to take a copy, doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the game. 

I've actually heard it said somewhere or other before that Skyhawk is really good, just that it makes you start out at very high difficulty.  You're not exaggerating much either.  It was never more than a buck or two in my experience.  It's been on my radar to play for a while now...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
37 minutes ago, PII said:

I've actually heard it said somewhere or other before that Skyhawk is really good, just that it makes you start out at very high difficulty.  You're not exaggerating much either.  It was never more than a buck or two in my experience.  It's been on my radar to play for a while now...

Pop it in! You will love the speed of vetical shooting levels. It isnt crazy hard like lots of games of that style, but its fast and lots of explosions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Pop it in! You will love the speed of vetical shooting levels. It isnt crazy hard like lots of games of that style, but its fast and lots of explosions. 

One of these weeks.  I'll be sure to give ya my two pesos on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
10 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Pop it in! You will love the speed of vetical shooting levels. It isnt crazy hard like lots of games of that style, but its fast and lots of explosions. 

The level where you start out really fast and have to shoot down other planes gave me the most trouble. It became a lot easier once I learned that you can slow down.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To chime in on Cpt Skyhawk @NESfiend I think most non-edgelords who've tried it see it as a competent game but it's not exciting as a collectible - very common (ultra-common?) and with typical gameplay.  When you think about it every Milton Bradley-published game is among the most common - this one, California Games, World Games (<--most uncommon, that's not a high rarity bar), Marble Madness, Digger T Rock, Jordan vs Bird, Time Lord, Abadox, and Cabal.  That just makes sense to me since Milton Bradley already had prior experience and presence with game publishing and distribution (importantly, in spheres that parents with money grew up around ie mainstream board games), and they seem to have had a high success rate: it could be argued that 9/9 games were hits for the company, and on top of that about half are also ultra-commons?  The games are from various devs and are all good enough experiences but that doesn't tell the whole story, so I link it to an experienced company having that extra publishing power and good instinct to get their games sold.

The irony of course is that decades later the carts become so common that most collectors overlook them as worthwhile experiences 😆 But that is now, and this is then

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, docile tapeworm said:

I love Sqoon.

@NESfiend it’s like a mayday move but the barrel roll is fun and people forget it’s in the game.

I finished second when we played Sqoon back in 2015. @nesmaster14 got the win and beat my score by quite a bit. In 11 seasons, I've still never finished higher than second place during a shooter or puzzle contest. Those two genres always seem to bring out the specialists that can put up ridiculously high scores.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
On 9/1/2022 at 8:37 AM, docile tapeworm said:

I love Sqoon.

@NESfiend it’s like a mayday move but the barrel roll is fun and people forget it’s in the game.

Good call- I never remember the barrel roll. I have a copy of sqoon but havent ever played it. Ill check it out pretty quick. It didnt look like much when I tested the cart. But I would have said the same about stinger and that was a good time once I got into it some. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finished second when we played Sqoon back in 2015. @nesmaster14 got the win and beat my score by quite a bit. In 11 seasons, I've still never finished higher than second place during a shooter or puzzle contest. Those two genres always seem to bring out the specialists that can put up ridiculously high scores.

Haha, "specialists". That was a fun season though, nice lineup of shooters and participation was strong. 🙂

I don't remember my thoughts on Stinger, might pop it in later though I'm quite rusty!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nesmaster14 said:

Haha, "specialists". That was a fun season though, nice lineup of shooters and participation was strong. 🙂

I don't remember my thoughts on Stinger, might pop it in later though I'm quite rusty!

 

For whatever reason, it seems like the people that are good at puzzle and shooter games are really good at them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...