IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Stinger!

BeaIank

16 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@docile tapewormand @Dr. Morbis, how much were you powering up and how? Id get One white bell for the double shot (a second didnt seem to do anything). And I up the speed with at least 2, usually 3 blue bells. Is there any more that can or should be done?

I would grab 3 blue balls right off the rip. A white bell isn’t necessary to me as I was getting the crescent moon in stage 2 anyway. After that just keep the 10k bells alive.

@BeaIank

something that I have noticed in two different circumstances now in regards to playing on the AVS (fpga) is that I could grab two bells and be comfortable with the speed of my ship. On original hardware and crt two bells was to slow. I noticed during parodius da as well, where I was comfortable with one less speed up on the avs versus original hardware. 

one more suggestion is a rule be in place every week in regards to reset versus power cycle. Like in ghost and goblins you can manipulate the item drops I believe was the case this week as well. Perhaps reset shouldn’t be allowed just in case. If you restart a game it must be done with a power off/on cycle.

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

@docile tapewormand @Dr. Morbis, how much were you powering up and how? Id get One white bell for the double shot (a second didnt seem to do anything). And I up the speed with at least 2, usually 3 blue bells. Is there any more that can or should be done?

@docile tapeworm Kneel by the lake with the double blue balls to release a powerful shot.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I did three blue balls first to get up to speed, then got a shield and avoided white and everything else, just keeping the bells at 10k, like skinny said.  The only difference is that I also got three more blue bells at the start of Stage two so I could be really fast to zip around and not miss any bells or anything else the rest of the game.

12 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Am I understanding this correctly? You were resetting to manipulate drops in order to spawn Dr cinnamon early in stage one?

I was resetting any time I had a bad start, just like I do on any other game, but with this one I started noticing Dr. Cinnamon's head appearing in different spots based on how many/which things I bombed.  But I could never get more than four bonus levels on any one run, since there are only so many enemies you can bomb in this short game, so I don't think it really made any difference in the grand scheme of things.

The issue is that many NES games keep certain counters going on resets or even new games with no resets, so I don't know how you'd institute a rule that we have to power cycle every time, when we're all used to mashing the reset button whenever we have a bad start.  I'm not against any such rule, it just would be possibly missed by many people who don't read the fine print.  Kind of like using Turbo: I know it's not allowed, but it's only stated in the giant paragraph at the bottom of the post that no one reads, so does everybody else know that?  Was anybody unwittingly using turbo when we played Silver Surfer?  I don't know...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I was resetting any time I had a bad start, just like I do on any other game, but with this one I started noticing Dr. Cinnamon's head appearing in different spots based on how many/which things I bombed.  But I could never get more than four bonus levels on any one run, since there are only so many enemies you can bomb in this short game, so I don't think it really made any difference in the grand scheme of things.

The issue is that many NES games keep certain counters going on resets or even new games with no resets, so I don't know how you'd institute a rule that we have to power cycle every time, when we're all used to mashing the reset button whenever we have a bad start.  I'm not against any such rule, it just would be possibly missed by many people who don't read the fine print.  Kind of like using Turbo: I know it's not allowed, but it's only stated in the giant paragraph at the bottom of the post that no one reads, so does everybody else know that?  Was anybody unwittingly using turbo when we played Silver Surfer?  I don't know...

I don’t have any issue with the way this week went. I agree it didn’t change the out come. Could the power cycle be an overlooked rule by newbie’s, yes. But at least the regulars would understand why it’s a rule and honor it. When we played ghost n goblins it was a rule that you couldn’t reset. If you started a new run you had to power cycle. 
if anybody was unwittingly using a turbo button during silver surfer it didn’t help them win 😁 And I think that’s a little different than understanding a reset can manipulate the item drop spots and using it as a strat.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I don’t have any issue with the way this week went. I agree it didn’t change the out come. Could the power cycle be an overlooked rule by newbie’s, yes. But at least the regulars would understand why it’s a rule and honor it. When we played ghost n goblins it was a rule that you couldn’t reset. If you started a new run you had to power cycle. 
if anybody was unwittingly using a turbo button during silver surfer it didn’t help them win 😁 And I think that’s a little different than understanding a reset can manipulate the item drop spots and using it as a strat.

I actually didn't know that G'N'G was like that.  I do know that NES Final Fantasy only ever resets to it's original state after you beat the whole game and watch the ending and then power off after it has finished drawing "The End."  Not that we'd ever be playing an RPG in this contest, but just saying that any game with a battery can possibly never be reverted to it's original RAM state without removing the battery.  But for the other 95% of the NES library, a power cycle rule would definitely work.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

When we played ghost n goblins it was a rule that you couldn’t reset. If you started a new run you had to power cycle. 

For GnG it is a must because since the drops are on a look up table, it is too easy to manipulate to get king drops earlier, making it much easier to beat stage 1 with over 250K points.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

For GnG it is a must because since the drops are on a look up table, it is too easy to manipulate to get king drops earlier, making it much easier to beat stage 1 with over 250K points.

Kinda the same idea with stinger this week. Get dr cinnamon earlier in stage one to give yourself a better shot at one more bonus stage in a single loop.

11 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Kinda the same idea with stinger this week. Get dr cinnamon earlier in stage one to give yourself a better shot at one more bonus stage in a single loop.

You should demand to be called "Professor Cinnamon" the next time you go around wearing your sunglasses and tiara. 😂

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Not gonna lie, helpless as he is, I love that dr cinnamon guy. 

I played this game on and off for a weekend and have no goddamn clue who this cinnamon fella is. Also had no idea there was a shield and countless other things discussed in this thread 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Bunch a fucking share bears in here lol

To the contrary! When sharebears were involved, all that shit got spilled. Now Im still scratching my head and the week is done. What ever happened to @0xDEAFC0DE? He was always good about sharing helpful hints and finds. And @Bearcat-Dougneeds to get back to playin weekly. I need the help. The OG sharebear

• Haha 1

Just now, NESfiend said:

To the contrary! When sharebears were involved, all that shit got spilled. Now Im still scratching my head and the week is done. What ever happened to @0xDEAFC0DE? He was always good about sharing helpful hints and finds. And @Bearcat-Dougneeds to get back to playin weekly. I need the help. The OG sharebear

Yeah, deafcode's not even playing the puzzle games anymore.  This is even a puzzle week, so normally he'd be working on some ridiculous score right now that the rest of us can't even touch...

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Let's do it again for Top Gun.  You in?   😉

If you do, keep your strats and shit secret all week, but then lay it out hard when its over. I have always wanted to get good at that game. Captain skyhawk filled some of that void with the dogfight style levels though. Top gun is so fun but the landing stuff blew. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

If you do, keep your strats and shit secret all week, but then lay it out hard when its over. I have always wanted to get good at that game. Captain skyhawk filled some of that void with the dogfight style levels though. Top gun is so fun but the landing stuff blew. 

Can do!  I normally never do this, but I was actually thinking of practicing Top Gun during the rest week, since this will be my last chance to compete with skinny for the shooter crown if he "retires" next year...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Can do!  I normally never do this, but I was actually thinking of practicing Top Gun during the rest week, since this will be my last chance to compete with skinny for the shooter crown if he "retires" next year...

I played it a bit the other day. It’s haunting me knowing how much effort it’s going to take to get good enough at that game to have a chance to win. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck lol.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@bertsampson was a big influence on skinny boy, he would crush us all without ever saying a word. No tips on strategy or secrets. I always wished he would have trash talked and I could get it out of him sometimes, but it wasn’t his style. Captain Skyhawk is one of my favorite games. Imo it’s much better than top gun. 

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@bertsampson was a big influence on skinny boy, he would crush us all without ever saying a word. No tips on strategy or secrets. I always wished he would have trash talked and I could get it out of him sometimes, but it wasn’t his style. Captain Skyhawk is one of my favorite games. Imo it’s much better than top gun. 

I love skyhawk. I have never understood how it has the reputation of a bad game. One of my favorites to play thru every year for completions thread. There is a score on it. Would make a good contest game....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Hey, there's always GameFAQs for when I'm not around! 😂

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I love skyhawk. I have never understood how it has the reputation of a bad game. One of my favorites to play thru every year for completions thread. There is a score on it. Would make a good contest game....

Is it considered a bad game? It has a decent Gamefaqs score of 3.52/5 and it's an extremely common cart so probably sold well.

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Is it considered a bad game? It has a decent Gamefaqs score of 3.52/5 and it's an extremely common cart so probably sold well.

I remember seeing stacks of Captain Skyhawk carts every time I went to the local used game shop. I don't know if people think it's bad because it's so common or what.