IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Stinger!

BeaIank

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

After playing all week I don’t think the bonus stage is random. The dr cinnamon heads appear after a set number of land enemies/secrets are bombed.

I agree.  I was resetting if I didn't get the bonus on Stage 1, and it never happened on the first try during a playing session.  I would usually get it on the second attempt, but I learned that if I only bombed certain things on two runs through Stage 1, I could get Mr. Cinnamon right at the start of the stage after a reset, and then all the stuff I bombed on that run would build up to get the bonus on Stage 2.

I also think 4 million is possible, because I missed a number of bells, and let the bells reset unintenionally once as well.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You don't want to know how many hours I had to put in to get the bonus levels.  You can't dick around when you're up against skinny...

The feeling is mutual 💪🏻 I realized during silver surfer you are a very good player and I have to go past what I think is a winning run in order to beat you. I really didn’t know if 3.3 million would be better than what you had this week. Good shit man 🤘🏻

• Thanks 1

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

The feeling is mutual 💪🏻 I realized during silver surfer you are a very good player and I have to go past what I think is a winning run in order to beat you. I really didn’t know if 3.3 million would be better than what you had this week. Good shit man 🤘🏻

Thanks.  I usually try to put in enough time to win, but I've learned that I have to put in as much time as possible to beat you or PII.  I actually took today off, doing other things, but I think I played every single other evening during the week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I agree.  I was resetting if I didn't get the bonus on Stage 1, and it never happened on the first try during a playing session.  I would usually get it on the second attempt, but I learned that if I only bombed certain things on two runs through Stage 1, I could get Mr. Cinnamon right at the start of the stage after a reset, and then all the stuff I bombed on that run would build up to get the bonus on Stage 2.

I also think 4 million is possible, because I missed a number of bells, and let the bells reset unintenionally once as well.

I was getting the bonus in stage one pretty consistently right around the end of the stage. I never could get one to spawn on stage two. 1,3,4,5 or 6. I only ever got 4 bonus stages in one run. 

13 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i think I could squeeze 4 million out of one loop. I was on a 3.5+ million run an blew it on the sun boss.

Were you not using the safe spot?  I initially thought he was the hardest boss in the game until I realized that the bottom right corner is a safe spot that you can't get hit; and if you've got spread, you can still hit him from your safe spot.

And speaking of boss fights, has anyone ever played a shooter with easier bosses... like ever???  Seriously, this has got to be the easiest set of bosses in the history of shoot 'em up video games!

Edited by Dr. Morbis

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Thanks.  I usually try to put in enough time to win, but I've learned that I have to put in as much time as possible to beat you or PII.  I actually took today off, doing other things, but I think I played every single other evening during the week.

Ya I was trying to put in runs today too lol and yes, rubarb is no slouch! 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Were you not using the safe spot?  I initially thought he was the hardest boss in the game until I realized that the bottom right corner is a safe spot that you can't get hit; and if you've got spread, you can still hit him from your safe spot.

And speaking of boss fights, has anyone ever played a shooter with easier bosses... like ever???  Seriously, this has got to be the easiest set of bosses in the history of shoot 'em up video games!

I didn’t know about the safe spot. I was just going head to head and firing like mad. It usually worked. But on my best run I took a shot right at the end of the land on stage 6 I guess the spread shot gets weaker if your stinger loses its arms? Because I tried to take on the sun like usual and it killed me.

parodius da had some of the easiest bosses. 

parodius da had some of the easiest bosses. 

Yeah, but Stinger is like: if you're powered up, they all die in literally two seconds except the final boss, who has the easiest pattern ever, and the Sun, who can't even hit you if you're in the bottom right corner...

• Like 1

I don’t know if I ever played it either. I used to play second mission as a kid though.

Difference is, I won't be touching Top Gun until October since I play all the other weekly games, but you've got a full two months to prepare... so get practicing and I'll see you in October... 😛

• Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, but Stinger is like: if you're powered up, they all die in literally two seconds except the final boss, who has the easiest pattern ever, and the Sun, who can't even hit you if you're in the bottom right corner...

Did you catch all the bells from the snake last boss? That was always fun. And same with the ? That would turn enemies into bells. With more time I could strat them better.

Did you catch all the bells from the snake last boss? That was always fun. And same with the ? That would turn enemies into bells. With more time I could strat them better.

Usually I did, but once the very first one fell down so they reset and I had to build them back up to 10k in like 0.5 seconds, and it cost me lots of points.

My one last trick to get points was the invincibility power up - did you find them?  I would try and time picking them up just as a line of enemies was about to hit me, and they build up to 10k just like the bells, so you can fly around the screen at top speed picking up 10k per enemy for like five or ten seconds.  I made a point to memorize the ones I found...

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Difference is, I won't be touching Top Gun until October since I play all the other weekly games, but you've got a full two months to prepare... so get practicing and I'll see you in October... 😛

lol it’s true I’m a ringer for the shooter genre. All I have time for anymore. Hardly have enough time for that even honestly. I don’t know if I’ll be able to play much anymore after this year. Might be participation for me going forward.

I really wanted to play castlevania and some of the other games this year but I just don’t have the time anymore.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My one last trick to get points was the invincibility power up - did you find them?  I would try and time picking them up just as a line of enemies was about to hit me, and they build up to 10k just like the bells, so you can fly around the screen at top speed picking up 10k per enemy for like five or ten seconds.  I made a point to memorize the ones I found...

Shit I didn’t know that one. Nice find!

I really wanted to play castlevania and some of the other games this year but I just don’t have the time anymore.

Castlevania was really fun and I can't believe no one else tried a speed run, especially after the positive turn-out we had for Mega Man 2 at the start of the season.  I actually wish I could redo the Castlevania week because I put a "should be good enough" score up on youtube at 11am on Saturday morning and didn't play the rest of the weekend.  It left a real sour taste in my mouth feeling like I could put in a much better run and just decided to be lazy...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Castlevania was really fun and I can't believe no one else tried a speed run, especially after the positive turn-out we had for Mega Man 2 at the start of the season.  I actually wish I could redo the Castlevania week because I put a "should be good enough" score up on youtube at 11am on Saturday morning and didn't play the rest of the weekend.  It left a real sour taste in my mouth feeling like I could put in a much better run and just decided to be lazy...

Ya that always stings. Sometimes it’s tough to keep playing for a better run when you capture what feels like a good one. 
the weeks that sting me the most are when you just run out of time knowing you didn’t do your best.

the weeks that sting me the most are when you just run out of time knowing you didn’t do your best.

That's why I usually try to be done before dinner on Sunday, because trying to put up a good score while trying to beat the clock at the same time just leads to frustration...

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Am I understanding this correctly? You were resetting to manipulate drops in order to spawn Dr cinnamon early in stage one?