IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Stinger!

BeaIank

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, there's a youtube video where some dude gets the bonus level on five of the six stages (Stage 7 I'm assuming doesn't have one) so I've been trying to match that, but three bonus stages is my best so far, and the cinnamon heads seem to show up in different spots in different runs.  But I've gotta beat you this week, so I'm gonna keep playing until I get a run with every bonus level for max score... 😛

I have yet to get a 1LC in. I came close today and biffed it right at the end of stage 6. 

13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

So i could have sworn I bought a stinger cart in the last year or two on @docile tapeworms suggestion. Cant find the damn thing to save my life. Havent had enough time to look with a shit week at work. Checked my local shop and no dice.

I did, however, get in the shooter spirit and revisited silk worm and checked out star force. Keeping the shooter spirit alive for skinnys fave game week, even if I cant post a score. Probably play some recca tonight and any other shooter anyone suggests that I have access to. Stinger looks cool, ill def pick one up before long

What do you think about 1943? That's probably my favorite NES shooter.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

What do you think about 1943? That's probably my favorite NES shooter.

Very much on my list of games I want to get really into and havent. I love the look and feel but Im terrible. I actually played it a little on a late night or two last week. 2nd or 3rd level was as much as I saw. Being crappy at them, I get discouraged pretty quick with shooters. If its not the game for the weekly, i only have a few reset buttons in me before I move onto something else

@NESfiend star force is tough! Glovesie and bea made that game their bitch though. They are crazy good. Recca is pretty cool. Stinger is a great game. I think the shoes are my favorite part. Their pattern looks like they are walking lol.

@mbd39 1943 is on the top shelf for nes shooters imo. It holds its own and is every bit as good as gradius and life force. And for my $ I’m taking CAPCOM! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@NESfiend star force is tough! Glovesie and bea made that game their bitch though. They are crazy good. Recca is pretty cool. Stinger is a great game. I think the shoes are my favorite part. Their pattern looks like they are walking lol.

@mbd39 1943 is on the top shelf for nes shooters imo. It holds its own and is every bit as good as gradius and life force. And for my $ I’m taking CAPCOM! 

Yeah, star force kicked my ass. All those type of shooters tend to, 1942, 1943, etc. Im better at the gradius style horizontal. I really like playing level 1 and usually 2 on the vertical shooters, but then I quickly get my ass kicked and generally give up quick. I need to pick one to focus on and really put in some effort to get over the first couple level hump. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Yeah, star force kicked my ass. All those type of shooters tend to, 1942, 1943, etc. Im better at the gradius style horizontal. I really like playing level 1 and usually 2 on the vertical shooters, but then I quickly get my ass kicked and generally give up quick. I need to pick one to focus on and really put in some effort to get over the first couple level hump. 

If you pick one and focus on finishing it, the skills learned, will translate over to the other shooters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Goddamn it - it goes to vertical shooting level 2?! Outraged. 

It actually only has three horizontal levels, and the last one (Stage 7) isn't even really a level, it's more like a victory lap before the ending, so that means there's a section with three vertical stages in a row, including Stage 6, the toughest level in the game...

9CF3894E-2181-4CBB-A311-436020A0A6D9.jpeg

Not my genre, but not a bad run.  I have a CIB but had never played it, I like it, the bright color palette draws me in more than the standard shooter template does.  Not sure if my points slingshotted up somewhere along the line maybe from rescuing that dude on level 1?  I was juggling the cloud bonuses a lot too.

Edited by Krunch
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

Not sure if my points slingshotted up somewhere along the line maybe from rescuing that dude on level 1?  I was juggling the cloud bonuses a lot too.

The bonus levels make all the difference.  It's actually possible to get over half a million points on level one (even more if you were to not go for many power-ups) and then get up to a quarter million on the bonus level alone.  Then you'd be starting Stage 2 with roughly 750k... just sayin' 😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The bonus levels make all the difference.  It's actually possible to get over half a million points on level one (even more if you were to not go for many power-ups) and then get up to a quarter million on the bonus level alone.  Then you'd be starting Stage 2 with roughly 750k... just sayin' 😉

Havent seen the bonus level but I managed 586k with what seemed like a pretty flawfless level 1. Then my son came to show me the rob the robot toy I bought him this afternoon and I was distracted and blew it. Wish I had found flash cart hookups a few days earlier. Could have actually beat @PIIfor once. 

• Like 2

Man, I tried like crazy for the last hour to get over a million and maybe nip at pii's score. Three 500k plus level ones and three blowing it acting like a spaz. Finally got good at powering up early and just couldnt execute. 

This game is friggin awesome playing for score. Im not sure id like it a lot just playing to beat it. Its amazing how many of these games are so much more fun playing for score and no one ever really did. Glad I got into this and really wish I had Monday

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Havent seen the bonus level but I managed 586k with what seemed like a pretty flawfless level 1. Then my son came to show me the rob the robot toy I bought him this afternoon and I was distracted and blew it. Wish I had found flash cart hookups a few days earlier. Could have actually beat @PIIfor once. 

I think 580k is near max for stage 1 before the bonus stage E63BAE24-26D4-4650-A061-1C668338E192.jpeg.941566caa2c80f932952c727edcd56c0.jpeg I started squeezing 800k out of stage 1 with the bonus stage. After playing all week I don’t think the bonus stage is random. The dr cinnamon heads appear after a set number of land enemies/secrets are bombed. 

i think I could squeeze 4 million out of one loop. I was on a 3.5+ million run an blew it on the sun boss.

• Like 1