IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Stinger!

BeaIank

On 8/21/2022 at 6:16 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I wish it had been a one life contest, since now we'll have to strategically die on purpose in the right spot/s over and over to maximize points with each man before crossing the loop point, but it is what it is...

One life contest, here we go!

SCORE EDIT - Well it looks like you've got me this week, Skinny; no way I'm going to be able to top this score: 133,800

First. There is no advantage to dying at any point in the game as it doesn’t put you back to a checkpoint. You just continue. 

second. Nice try.

Member · Posted
3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

First. There is no advantage to dying at any point in the game as it doesn’t put you back to a checkpoint. You just continue.

Yeah, I hadn't played the game in ten years when I wrote that, so I didn't know it spawned you right were you died.  And secondly, once you get powered up in this game it's kind of impossible to die anyway, so having a bunch of extra men in reserve is kinda moot...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I hadn't played the game in ten years when I wrote that, so I didn't know it spawned you right were you died.  And secondly, once you get powered up in this game it's kind of impossible to die anyway, so having a bunch of extra men in reserve is kinda moot...

If I remember from the 2015 contest, you can also collect the shield power up again when yours gets low to replenish it, which basically makes you invincible.

Member · Posted
16 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If I remember from the 2015 contest, you can also collect the shield power up again when yours gets low to replenish it, which basically makes you invincible.

Very true.  The only issue with the shield as it pertains to this weekly contest is that getting the shield costs bonus points, so I've been trying run attempts without it...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Member · Posted

Also, I haven't been able to get through Stage 6 in one life without the shield yet, so it does have a tiny bit of challenge if you decide to handicap yourself.  But deciding to get the shield on Stage 1 basically gives you a bye through the whole game to the end screen, but at the cost of minimum 10k points (more like 30k-80k for me, since I usually miss a bunch of bells while I'm juggling one to get the shield).

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Member · Posted
3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:
6 hours ago, PII said:

Damn the manual, they are totally beach balls.

Beach Balls don't have an ass crack in the middle.  They look like bare bums wearing Santa hats to me...

They behave like beachballs being volleyed, so they are beach balls with pictures of butts wearing Santa hats on them.

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Also, I haven't been able to get through Stage 6 in one life without the shield yet, so it does have a tiny bit of challenge if you decide to handicap yourself.  But deciding to get the shield on Stage 1 basically gives you a bye through the whole game to the end screen, but at the cost of minimum 10k points (more like 30k-80k for me, since I usually miss a bunch of bells while I'm juggling one to get the shield).

Ya you have to get powered up in stage one and try to ride it out the rest of the way.

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Beach Balls don't have an ass crack in the middle.  They look like bare bums wearing Santa hats to me...

8 minutes ago, PII said:

They behave like beachballs being volleyed, so they are beach balls with pictures of butts wearing Santa hats on them.

They have never looked like anything butt bells to me. What are you guys off on?

It feels like your gonna have to get a lucky run (similar to marble madness wands and dragon spirit with the 50k point drops) to score high. The cinnamon heads seem random to me. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes here, sometimes there. Perhaps there is a way to consistently spawn them and I feel like I can but they are not always in the same spot….i wonder if there is one in every level.

Edited by docile tapeworm

Member · Posted
16 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

It feels like your gonna have to get a lucky run (similar to marble madness wands and dragon spirit with the 50k point drops) to score high. The cinnamon heads seem random to me. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes here, sometimes there. Perhaps there is a way to consistently spawn them and I feel like I can but they are not always in the same spot….i wonder if there is one in every level.

Yeah, there's a youtube video where some dude gets the bonus level on five of the six stages (Stage 7 I'm assuming doesn't have one) so I've been trying to match that, but three bonus stages is my best so far, and the cinnamon heads seem to show up in different spots in different runs.  But I've gotta beat you this week, so I'm gonna keep playing until I get a run with every bonus level for max score... 😛

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's Friday and there's only one score posted. Everybody must be holding their scores this week.

That is a bit disheartening, but we gotta keep pushing and gotta keep things running.

• Like 1

Member · Posted

So i could have sworn I bought a stinger cart in the last year or two on @docile tapeworms suggestion. Cant find the damn thing to save my life. Havent had enough time to look with a shit week at work. Checked my local shop and no dice.

I did, however, get in the shooter spirit and revisited silk worm and checked out star force. Keeping the shooter spirit alive for skinnys fave game week, even if I cant post a score. Probably play some recca tonight and any other shooter anyone suggests that I have access to. Stinger looks cool, ill def pick one up before long

• Like 2

• The topic was unpinned