IGNORED

Game Debate #114: Metal Gear Solid 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

9/10, the game rules. It was the first MGS I played so I wasn't put off by Raiden. I was more put off by MGS3 taking place outside. Where were my familiar boring gray hallways from MGS1-2!

This game goes completely off the rails. On top of the normal MGS bullshit of clones, viruses, double agents, we get all that again plus proxy AIs, La-li-lu-le-lo, Liquid's arm getting grafted onto Ocelot and taking over his mind WHICH ENDS UP LATER LIKE... NOT EVEN BEING A THING, "Brothas!", "Liquid!". God what a clusterfuck of a game. So good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I absolutely loved this game, but I have to admit that I technically never finished it.  I was a HUGE fan of MGS on the PS1 so I was super excited to play this when it first came out.  I remember renting it while I was staying at my parents house during a college break.  I had to setup the PS2 in my bedroom temporarily and for some reason I didn't have a memory card.  I tried to play through the entire game, but I couldn't' turn it off since I had no way to save the game.  I was towards the end of the game after the torture scene and you are running around naked.  I decided that I needed a break and paused the game.  I left my room and turned off the light switch.  I had completely forgotten that my bedroom at home had the switch wired to an outlet instead of a ceiling light and my PS2 and TV were plugged into that outlet.  So when I turned the light off, I also turned off the PS2 and lost all of my progress.  I was pretty pissed and I couldn't bring myself to start over.  I eventually played through the game again, but I never finished it.  

From what I remember, my opinion of the game is similar to most MGS games:

• The gameplay is amazing 
  • The graphics are prenominal for the time
  • The story is awesome and ridiculous at the same time
  • The bosses are extremely stupid and I hate them

It's a 9 for me.

Edit:  I can't believe I didn't mention that while I was a HUGE fan of MGS on the PS1, the while Raiden thing didn't bother me at all, but I'm glad the tanker chapter is there to allow you to use Snake for at least a portion of the game.  

Edited by TDIRunner

21 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

If someone made hacks that removed or drastically shortened the cutscenes of the MGS games, I'd play them.

Until then, I can't be bothered.

VR Missions and the Game Boy Color game are both really straight stealth action without the excessive story BS, but the excessive story BS is really what we're here for.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I gave both of these 9.  They are essentially the same game with some minor differences.  I did actually play through both of them at different times.

MGS and MGS2 are probably my two favorite in the series.  Choosing an exact score was a bit difficult, but I had to go with a high 9 here.  

For me, the sequel did not disappoint, and delivered just so much more of what I loved about Metal Gear Solid.  It's a fantastic game, in my opinion - probably one of the best on PS2 and one of the best in the MGS series.

25 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Back when every new Metal Gear game was good

What are you on about? They’re all good. 4 & 5 are fantastic games. And the offshoot Metal Gear Rising was a great hack and slash.

52 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

If someone made hacks that removed or drastically shortened the cutscenes of the MGS games, I'd play them.

Until then, I can't be bothered.

As defaultgen said. We’re here to watch some cluster fuck BS grand opera story. 😂 But I get it, it’s not for everyone.

9 for me too.

23 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

10 people have played MGS2?  Bump.

Played it but never finished it, don’t think I can rate it fairly.

Loved the first one, easily a top tier of the generation, but could never finish the sequel despite several attempts.  I blame a waneing interest in gaming for me personally (although PS2 was a boom era for gaming in general)

The MGS series is one I must admit I never got into. Part of that was the fact that I was always at least one generation behind on the Playstation consoles (I didn't get a Playstation until 2002 and didn't get a PS2 until 2008, etc.). So, by the time I got around to actually playing MGS or MGS2, it was old news and the controls and design felt a bit outdated and janky. As a result, I didn't have the best time trying to play through those two and that's when I kind of abandoned the whole thing.

So, to this day, the only Metal Gear game I've played more than 2 hours of is the original NES port. That game had its own problems but I have very fond memories of the experience exploring the base and jungle late at night, in a room lit only by the glow of my little CRT.

The Solid series? I couldn't say much of value about it.

One of my first PS2 games that I got. I actually played this one all the way through but I probably had to consult gamefaqs when I got stuck. I liked it a lot. The story was kinda batshit weird... with the incest and the girl who thought she was cursed to be unkillable but actually just had someone programming a force field around her... I liked the parts when the General on the comm starts glitching and saying crazy shit.