IGNORED

WATA email about PSA grading Funko pop

MrWunderful

Zero skin in the game, as I have a few Pop! But have already opened them so I guess they are trash now. 

Those of you that do collect them is condition even that big of a thing? I never thought it was, are they even sealed?

I get it, as its destined to make disgusting money for the company as people just RACE to send in every single one they can, it just seems weird to me. Do they get faked too? Maybe the rare ones I guess. 

discuss

image.jpg.173a77102748a7622596885da0b9d45f.jpg

Edited by MrWunderful

Administrator · Posted

Funko Pops do get faked, and relatively easily on account of their simple design. It's worth noting however that all Funko Pops do come with a serial number on the body of the figure itself as well as the box (and these should of course match).

Funko Pops to my knowledge never come sealed, and the most common way to remove a figure without it being obvious is through the bottom:

image.png

IMO Wata should focus first on their promise of grading "Everything" video game related, as they still don't (to my knowledge) grade odd-sized games (Earthbound, Carmen San Diego, et al) and only grade games from a list of consoles, rather than anything near "all". Their list of systems on their site isn't up to date so it's impossible for anyone to know based on their website exactly what they grade (they don't list PS3/4/5 for instance, despite listing PS1/2 and clearly grading games for those systems).

The lack of focus just pushes them further into "in it for the money" rather than anything resembling "for the community". I know we've had no real delusions about it having anything to do with community for a while now, but it's still a bit sad to see regardless. From a money perspective I'm sure they're growing in all the right ways, and as a business it's obviously ideal. Just doesn't align well with my personal view of these things.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Funko Pops do get faked, and relatively easily on account of their simple design. It's worth noting however that all Funko Pops do come with a serial number on the body of the figure itself as well as the box (and these should of course match).

Funko Pops to my knowledge never come sealed, and the most common way to remove a figure without it being obvious is through the bottom:

image.png

IMO Wata should focus first on their promise of grading "Everything" video game related, as they still don't (to my knowledge) grade odd-sized games (Earthbound, Carmen San Diego, et al) and only grade games from a list of consoles, rather than anything near "all". Their list of systems on their site isn't up to date so it's impossible for anyone to know based on their website exactly what they grade (they don't list PS3/4/5 for instance, despite listing PS1/2 and clearly grading games for those systems).

The lack of focus just pushes them further into "in it for the money" rather than anything resembling "for the community". I know we've had no real delusions about it having anything to do with community for a while now, but it's still a bit sad to see regardless. From a money perspective I'm sure they're growing in all the right ways, and as a business it's obviously ideal. Just doesn't align well with my personal view of these things.

Interesting. I would’ve thought the tooling would’ve been difficult to develop, shows you what I know about manufacturing!

I 100% agree with them just trying to cash in on whatever the next grading rush is. Wait until we see some big time “collectors” or “influencers” spend 100k on some hyped rare funko and the flood gates are open. 

I for one cant wait for the shill faux investor bros to lecture me on the nuances of the graded pop market. 

I deleted the email but I didn't see it say anything about Wata grading them, it said PSA would be grading them.  And PSA already grades / authenticates signatures on them so they have a case and it's not that far of a leap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325282110665?hash=item4bbc531cc9:g:JBkAAOSwJ5Vi3p10

I think this thread is misguided.

Edited by jonebone

3 hours ago, jonebone said:

I deleted the email but I didn't see it say anything about Wata grading them, it said PSA would be grading them.  And PSA already grades / authenticates signatures on them so they have a case and it's not that far of a leap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325282110665?hash=item4bbc531cc9:g:JBkAAOSwJ5Vi3p10

I think this thread is misguided.

It came from A WATA email address, and I  guess they are owned by PSA now? I have never purchased or graded anything at PSA so then if wata can just hand out my information for marketing, they can be on the hook for the thread. Ill modify the title. 

I stand corrected, PSA will be grading the pops. 

Edited by MrWunderful

• The title was changed to WATA email about PSA grading Funko pop
15 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Interesting. I would’ve thought the tooling would’ve been difficult to develop, shows you what I know about manufacturing!

I 100% agree with them just trying to cash in on whatever the next grading rush is. Wait until we see some big time “collectors” or “influencers” spend 100k on some hyped rare funko and the flood gates are open. 

I for one cant wait for the shill faux investor bros to lecture me on the nuances of the graded pop market. 

Yes... Interesting. There is a shit ton of these Funko Pops things around... 

Whoever is grading them, it brings up an interesting question in itself of "NEW"....? Because they're not sealed and as Gloves said, you can open them up from the bottom without being too noticeable. 

So, since anyone can open them and check them out (aka damage and destroy the item or potentially switch it with a FAKE?) before putting them BACK into the box is PSA going to have to actually open the box, check the serial numbers, check the item to actually grade it, then put it back into the box to confirm it was "never opened"...???

"This now opened Funko Pop was "never opened" but now we opened it to confirm that it had never been opened." 🤔

Edited by AirVillain
added actually grading to list of things someone would do to determine grade....

3 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Yes... Interesting. There is a shit ton of these Funko Pops things around... 

Whoever is grading them, it brings up an interesting question in itself of "NEW"....? Because they're not sealed and as Gloves said, you can open them up from the bottom without being too noticeable. 

So, since anyone can open them and check them out (aka damage and destroy the item or potentially switch it with a FAKE?) before putting them BACK into the box is PSA going to have to actually open the box, check the serial numbers, then put it back into the box to confirm it was "never opened".

"This now opened Funko Pop was "never opened" but now we opened it to confirm that it had never been opened." 🤔

You can determine a Nintendo cardboard box has been open by the fine damage on the spine of the lid.  Maybe it's the same for Funko Pops, but I honestly have no clue.

I also lied.  I have two Funko Pops.  Years ago my wife got my The Abominable Snowman from Rudolph for Christmas.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

You can determine a Nintendo cardboard box has been open by the fine damage on the spine of the lid.  Maybe it's the same for Funko Pops, but I honestly have no clue.

I also lied.  I have two Funko Pops.  Years ago my wife got my The Abominable Snowman from Rudolph for Christmas.

Ah yup. Good point. Gotta be something more intricate.... but without an actual "seal" there needs to be some sort of extra precautions taken or DO they call them "Never opened"....?

Abominable Snowman, that's neat, okay, okay... thats one. 😛

Edited by AirVillain
precautions

7 hours ago, RH said:

We all agree that Funko Pops are Beanie Babies for a new generation, right? Right?!

I just don't get them at all. They don't really display well and they all look minimally distorted into the funko mold. It's hard to even tell which ones they are without a label or theme with them. I have friends that collect/display/brag about them, but I just feel so far removed from caring at all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, dr.robbie said:

I just don't get them at all. They don't really display well and they all look minimally distorted into the funko mold. It's hard to even tell which ones they are without a label or theme with them. I have friends that collect/display/brag about them, but I just feel so far removed from caring at all. 

I agree, I just couldn’t be bothered to care about them and honestly don’t even like them. Though I have 5 of them. My girlfriend got me the ones of Metallica and Alice Cooper. So I cant just get rid of them without feeling terrible since she seemed so happy to give them to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Do they get faked too? Maybe the rare ones I guess. 

My ex girlfriend was HUGE into these.  And she knowingly bought a couple fakes from China because the real ones are hundreds.  I was like, are you for real? How can you respect yourself? And she makes very good money, it isn’t like cost is a factor.  Needless to say, we are no longer together.  

Edited by final fight cd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'm not a big fan, but I suppose they are no worse than bobbleheads. There isn't anything I particularly want in funko pop statue form, but I might see a random character from something someday that I need to have. 

At the same time, I don't like the look of the boxes at all. That statue is coming out to breathe if I ever find one I like!

8 hours ago, final fight cd said:

And she knowingly bought a couple fakes from China because the real ones are hundreds.  I was like, are you for real? How can you respect yourself? And she makes very good money, it isn’t like cost is a factor.  Needless to say, we are no longer together.  

How would you ever respect someone who actually paid hundreds for a funkopop tho?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I agree, I just couldn’t be bothered to care about them and honestly don’t even like them. Though I have 5 of them. My girlfriend got me the ones of Metallica and Alice Cooper. So I cant just get rid of them without feeling terrible since she seemed so happy to give them to me

The solution to this problem is simple, get rid of the girlfriend! Let's face it, you can do better than someone who would gift you Funko Pops! 😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

The solution to this problem is simple, get rid of the girlfriend! Let's face it, you can do better than someone who would gift you Funko Pops! 😂

Its a tough choice, the same girlfriend made me this blanket by hand. (Notice the couch on the left for scale) So she has some good taste in gifts too lol

31D864EA-62DF-421A-A6D2-A0268C70BF5B.jpeg

• Wow! 1
  • Love 3