IGNORED

What is the most "intimidating" full set ? The easiest to complete ?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about this earlier today. Some game systems have huge libraries, but not many games that are very expensive. Then, you have systems like NEC's TurboGrafx-16 with a library that consists of only 94 NTSC-U games. However, it does include Magical Chase, which is a game that costs a lot, even more than the Dreamcast's most expensive games reunited.

With that in mind, I would say that the NEO-GEO AES full set is the most expensive and most difficult to complete. Nearly all games are very expensive and they are very difficult to come by in NTSC-U format. For the easiest one, I would say that the Virtual Boy is a good candidate, with only two games worth much money (Jack Bros. and Waterworld), out of only 14 games in total.

According to you, what are the most difficult and the easiest sets to complete ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, glazball said:

Atari 2600 US/NTSC fullset is basically impossible to complete.  Neo Geo AES (any region) would be a very close second.

I know aes is expensive, but what games are hard to find? I have zero knowledge of the system, but the only one I can think of is metal slug. Which, now that I think about it, I don’t know if it is just expensive or also hard to find.  

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You want me to debate full set again?

You can debate it all you want, but your opinion is worth exactly as much as mine- nothing. Like literally zero, worthless. 

but please, explain more about how phony LRG releases “ are part of the NES retail set” 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Damn. 6.50 complete with free shipping? Respect for even listing that. 

3.50 minimum first class.
.60c ebay fee?

1.00 in packaging

1.30 profit if you value your time at nothing.  Savage. 

There's NOS available for like $8 shipped, the poor guy has no choice. But yeah, I'd donate it!

Social Team · Posted

I'd say Wii U would be relatively easy but is going to get more expensive with time.  Honestly I think PSVR is not too bad either but it's still being produced.  LRG that don't have a Best Buy version to buy are the biggest pains in my ass but even then most are not too bad to buy with only a few getting close to $100 range.  Moss (non-LRG) is one of the most expensive games because it's such a great game with not that many physical copies made compared to every other physical game made for it.  Specifically a NA release as a European version is cheaper and much easier to find on eBay.

6 hours ago, RH said:

I’d say a full set of Famicom bootleg releases and multi carts.

Where’s @fcgamer at?

EBAA9CC1-1F21-4B3A-A851-197C7584BA65.gif.bf34dc883280b52b380f4645ce50d5cf.gif

Well with any set you need to establish boundaries, though I guess by doing so it would take the "fullness" away in some minds.

Abridged licensed Famicom full set was a pain to complete, my poor brother and I had been running around Osaka together just to get the last few pieces.

I'd say some obscure sets like Gamate would fall into hellish category too. Games can be had from $20 to $200+ easily, if you want to get a matching set from one distributor it would be a huge nightmare, even finding the games from multiple distributors is a nightmare. It's a seller's sort of set, as the stuff turns up so infrequently, you gotta just take the scraps that show up.

I think Game Gear would be a cheap and easy set. Same with Wii U and virtual boy. There's some rare or expensive items in the lot, but not a ton. Atari lynx might be another one.

Hardest full set in terms of scarcity: Atari VCS (2600)
Hardest full set in terms of total cost/value: Neo Geo AES

Easiest full set in terms of scarcity: Atari 7800 (full set can be purchased on eBay right now)
Easiest full set in terms of cost/value: Virtual Boy

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've got a few full sets from my decades of collecting: Odyssey 1, Channel F, Studio 2, Emerson Arcadia 2001, Telstar Arcade, Action Max, Memorex VIS, Nuon US, and quite a few CD-i subsets. 

For sheer impossibility to complete: Atari 2600 (due to Birthday Mania, Extra Terrestrials, Gamma Attack, and a few of their like) and the cost of some titles; RCA Studio 2 due to Bingo (otherwise it'd be the easiest set to complete); Memorex VIS because of Video Movie Guide 1993 (only a hundred copies or so made it to retail); and the Philips CD-i above all others due to the sheer number of impossible R9/R10/R11 rarities.

AES could be done with the right amount of money. 

Odyssey 1 is very difficult nowadays because of the passage of time and the limited amount of the later 1973 releases that were made.

Studio 2 is probably the easiest system to complete even with all variants, and can even be had for less than the original retail prices. Or, it's one of the absolute hardest if Bingo really did see store shelves somewhere, as only 4 copies are known to still exist.

Channel F is just a matter of waiting for copies of the Democart and Checkers to come up for sale, and having the money for them. Everything else is fairly easy to obtain.

Arcadia 2001 US set is easy except for three R9s: Red Clash, Spiders, and Grand Slam Tennis. They only show up maybe once a year.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, MrWunderful said:

You can debate it all you want, but your opinion is worth exactly as much as mine- nothing. Like literally zero, worthless. 

but please, explain more about how phony LRG releases “ are part of the NES retail set” 😂😂😂

I'm not the one that thinks an NES game that sold at retail is not part of the NES retail set.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm not the one that thinks an NES game that sold at retail is not part of the NES retail set.

But you are the one guy on earth who can't seem to understand the concept of "after-market" games.  Every time a website sells a new game for the  37 year old NES, you're the one person on the planet adding it to your official list of NES releases.  I mean, sure, you can buy and collect whatever and however you want, but your continual attempts at using semantics to rewrite reality are getting pretty old...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

What's R11?

On a rarity scale of 1 to 10, an R10 is something has 10 or less known copies but is indeed part of the full set. Using the Spinal Tap theory of collecting, some titles are so rare that the scale goes to 11. Those are usually ones that have only one known copy, or only one known complete copy yet which still count towards the full set. CD-i has quite a few obscure retail releases that fit the R11 description. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaos Control said:

On a rarity scale of 1 to 10, an R10 is something has 10 or less known copies but is indeed part of the full set. Using the Spinal Tap theory of collecting, some titles are so rare that the scale goes to 11. Those are usually ones that have only one known copy, or only one known complete copy yet which still count towards the full set. CD-i has quite a few obscure retail releases that fit the R11 description. 

Those are still R10, it only goes to 10.

• Haha 1