IGNORED

I Started A YouTube Account!

Code Monkey

2 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Can you find out? I'm genuinely curious. The store seems well organized and the flipping doesn't make any sense. Also, do they have a website and do they ship?

Feel free to add their store and others you know to the VGS database here:  https://www.videogamesage.com/databases/retro-video-game-stores/

Ah, you didn't watch to the end of the video! They do and they do.

https://www.videogametrader.ca

Even their vintage games are on there, they scan everything in and out.

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Ah, you didn't watch to the end of the video! They do and they do.

https://www.videogametrader.ca

Even their vintage games are on there, they scan everything in and out.

Oh I did, I must have spaced out at the end, thanks for clarifying. I saw your car poking out in the parking lot lol

Edited by Mega Tank

13 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

When I showed it to someone before I published it, I asked if it was too much and they didn't really have input. The absolute only reason it was included is because I subscribe to Mat Armstrong on YouTube and he said he used to publish his BMX videos but one day he showed his car in a video and that video blew up. Then he slowly transitioned to making car videos as that was what got more views so I tried to emulate the same thing.

I've had the car almost 4 years, if I wanted to show it off, I would have done so well before now. But that's great advice, thank you. If the car content doesn't work out the same way it did for Mat, then it won't be in another video. I'm just trying to duplicate anything that worked for other people as long as it's not embarrassing myself. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, cars really don't impress me, as everyone where I live drives a Porsche, Mercedes, Tesla, etc. My first thought was why would someone be driving a convertible in Calgary, but then again, why does anyone drive a sportscar in downtown Taichung, where the traffic is so bad one can only "race" from traffic light to traffic light 😛

As a serious suggestion though, if you need to ask someone "if it was too much", it's likely best to leave it out. 

Regarding the other bit,  don't try to emulate other people and other channels, rather try to do something unique and pioneering yourself to make it your own. That would likely draw more eyes to the channel.

Otherwise, looks great, keep up the good work with the videos! That shop looks really fun.

For future videos I would try to vary your language a bit. I got tired of hearing "up top and down below". 

Another possible suggestion is to record all of your audio with the same equipment. I don't know what microphone you're using at home, but your voiceovers sound a lot different than your on camera footage. This is very common with youtuber vlogs so it's no foul, but I always notice it and find it kind of grating. 

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

New video! I review my local game store.

Some things I learned while doing this pretty ambitious video:

• making videos is hard
  • doing voiceovers is hard
  • making YouTube videos with other customers around watching you is hard

As always, please leave any feedback you have, no matter how negative it might be. I'm always trying to learn how to create better videos since I really have no idea what I'm doing here. Thanks.

I thought this was pretty great!

I like how thorough the walkthrough was - and I admire anyone comfortable enough to film in public like this without being super awkward.

Even if you cut the car bit like some people are suggesting - I think its worth noting that your editing in that section was great - I could tell you were having fun shooting those clips and cutting them together. Moving forward, maybe there's a way you could still incorporate that type of editing somehow.

And this is probably just a personal preference thing, but I never like music in videos like this. I understand the urge to fill-in the soundscape, but I've never had a problem with just voiceover or even just the ambient noise from the camera mic. I'm curious if other people feel the same way.

Anyway - I enjoyed the video. I'm trying to get more into YouTube myself - and its cool to have someone else here figuring this stuff out, too.

[T-Pac]

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, T-Pac said:

I thought this was pretty great!

I like how thorough the walkthrough was - and I admire anyone comfortable enough to film in public like this without being super awkward.

Even if you cut the car bit like some people are suggesting - I think its worth noting that your editing in that section was great - I could tell you were having fun shooting those clips and cutting them together. Moving forward, maybe there's a way you could still incorporate that type of editing somehow.

And this is probably just a personal preference thing, but I never like music in videos like this. I understand the urge to fill-in the soundscape, but I've never had a problem with just voiceover or even just the ambient noise from the camera mic. I'm curious if other people feel the same way.

Anyway - I enjoyed the video. I'm trying to get more into YouTube myself - and its cool to have someone else here figuring this stuff out, too.

[T-Pac]

It was super awkward standing around 1-2 customers and just trying to hype myself up to just take out the camera and start filming. What really did it for me was when I started extending out the stick with my phone on it, the owner walked by and a customer asked, "Are you filming another commercial?" The owner said, "No, he's just getting some YouTube content." And the guy replied, "Oh, that's cool."

That really helped me out that I was doing something that was more normal than it sounded in my head.

My best advice is to just get out there and do it. I know I'm making mistakes and I tell the people helping me out (the owner) that I don't really know what I'm doing but as long as I'm trying, I'm better than when I started. The more mistakes I make, the more I learn.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you. I'm also curious how everyone else feels about music. I also got that from Mat Armstrong's videos, though he uses it during montages.

• Like 1

I liked it.

If I had to criticize it, I'd say either cut out the Porsche and show your shelf off more [or] Give people more insight to all your hobbies and not just your car, maybe make it like a dress-up montage by grabbing an outfit out the closet, show your shoes being tied up, take a shave...make it feel more like "Hey I collect games, and this is my morning routine" and less like "Hey I collect games, and this is my car"

Again, only if I HAD TO criticize the video.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 1:20 PM, ThePhleo said:

I liked it.

If I had to criticize it, I'd say either cut out the Porsche and show your shelf off more [or] Give people more insight to all your hobbies and not just your car, maybe make it like a dress-up montage by grabbing an outfit out the closet, show your shoes being tied up, take a shave...make it feel more like "Hey I collect games, and this is my morning routine" and less like "Hey I collect games, and this is my car"

Again, only if I HAD TO criticize the video.

Interesting concept, that's a good idea. I like the criticism, thanks.

I find YouTube has to be more focused, I collect Transformers also and my original intention was to show off Transformers and video games, two things from the 1980s. I'm actually afraid now to start showing Transformers, I feel like it has to be more focused so I'm sticking to just games.

I've removed most of the car so I'll export this new version and post it here once it's done. Might be tomorrow.

• Like 1

Let's give this another go. I edited the video, took out most of the car and uploaded it again. Please take another look and if there is still criticism, I'll take the car completely out. I appreciate the honesty so far and please keep it coming. I'm trying to make a go at this so I need to know what works and what doesn't. Thanks!

• Like 2

Video was great, love the tour of the store and I'm super jealous of the store, it's really awesome! Wish I were closer, if I ever visit I'll have to check it out.

Not sure how much "car" stuff was in there before, but I don't mind what's in there now. Definitely got the feeling like I was going to the store with you.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

took out most of the car and uploaded it again.

The original clip was about 40 seconds of your car, now it's about 20. I really don't think that's the issue people were trying to raise. The issue with the car is it feels out of place. You're creating content for a game store review.

I think the car footage portion is decent now. Good job. That's just enough that it does give people a chance to geek out on your car if they like, without distracting from the main topic. That's a better sneak in to test the waters for diversifying or shifting your content imo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, Code Monkey said:

Let's give this another go. I edited the video, took out most of the car and uploaded it again. Please take another look and if there is still criticism, I'll take the car completely out. I appreciate the honesty so far and please keep it coming. I'm trying to make a go at this so I need to know what works and what doesn't. Thanks!

Video is now public. Thanks for all the constructive criticism.

• Like 1

Nice channel. There is a lot of potential with such a collection and knowledge for sure. A few hints for the channel in general. Add an about page, get a logo and active in-play watermarking so bottom left shows your logo with option to subscribe. I prefer when you sit down, you are giving a more relaxed impression with goes well with your calm voice. Perhaps get a table in there as well so the transitions from wide to narrow shots can be made more seamless.

23 minutes ago, Werrock said:

Nice channel. There is a lot of potential with such a collection and knowledge for sure. A few hints for the channel in general. Add an about page, get a logo and active in-play watermarking so bottom left shows your logo with option to subscribe. I prefer when you sit down, you are giving a more relaxed impression with goes well with your calm voice. Perhaps get a table in there as well so the transitions from wide to narrow shots can be made more seamless.

1. Thanks!
  2. I will add an about page but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to settle on the name Kodani Code before I get a logo. I don't know if it sounds good enough, my name is Dan so it kind of fits but I'm not sure if people make the reference.
  3. What do you mean by transition from wide to narrow? Did I miss the video size changing somewhere?
16 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I wanted there to be a more monotone and emotionally detached delivery. Some fun vids tho. 

These are games.

These are variants of games.

Any questions?

Subscribe now.

You have no idea how hard it is to avoid fact based statements like this but I manage teams for work so I've had no choice but to be more personable, even if I'm faking it. One thing I'd like to do is laugh more like Mat does in his videos but he just has a much goofier personality. I just like how I find myself laughing when I hear him laugh and I don't feel like we get enough laughter in our lives. It's really good for the soul.

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What do you mean by transition from wide to narrow? Did I miss the video size changing somewhere?

You could pull out a game from the shelf or that is laying on a table and then switch to a close up (narrow shot) directly.  In the black box variants you disappear behind the camera and show the games in front off the camera. I think the effect is better to that you remain "stationary" and the camera goes in and out.

Btw, regarding the name. You say "welcome back, today were are gonna talk about..." but if you say "Welcome back, I am Dan, and today I want to talk about..." the channel name will make sense I think. You can also add an outro instead of just ending. "That's all I wanted to share today, thanks for watching, see you next time and don't forget to subscribe to Kodani Code for more content." You can switch this up but it is generally good to tell the viewers what they are watching.

4 minutes ago, Werrock said:

You could pull out a game from the shelf or that is laying on a table and then switch to a close up (narrow shot) directly.  In the black box variants you disappear behind the camera and show the games in front off the camera. I think the effect is better to that you remain "stationary" and the camera goes in and out.

Btw, regarding the name. You say "welcome back, today were are gonna talk about..." but if you say "Welcome back, I am Dan, and today I want to talk about..." the channel name will make sense I think. You can also add an outro instead of just ending. "That's all I wanted to share today, thanks for watching, see you next time and don't forget to subscribe to Kodani Code for more content." You can switch this up but it is generally good to tell the viewers what they are watching.

Amazing, thanks.

Make sure you smash that like button and pound that notification button and thanks to todays sponsor PCBWay cause you need fucking motherboards up the ass. I’m not leaving any p*ssy for anyone else driving down in my Oakley's and Porsche and Wall Street haircut on the way downtown to the game store. 

Seriously I would have left the Porsche in and had my prototypes in the passenger seat and screw all these haters. Live your life 💯 and keep up the good work if it makes you happy. 

You do need to inject some personality in there though, not like something gimmicky like Metal Jesus or AVGN.

Be excited for what you do. It’s hard for others to be excited if you aren’t, sort of like public speakers. Watch like Rodney Mullins TED talk on popping an Ollie or even just listen to tony romo call a football game. People absolutely love what they do and it’s contagious for the audience. 

Edited by a3quit4s

I guess the only real piece of advice I could give (and what I often think to myself about different things) is what is it that you could do that you don't see hardly anyone else doing?  That can be quite tricky though seeing as how YouTube's been around for almost 20 years...has it really been that long ago?