IGNORED

Concerts you've attended

Reed Rothchild

19 hours ago, Gloves said:

Update: I have still never been to a concert.

I could see it being a bit of a daunting thing if you’ve never done it. I’ve found that I encounter a lot of people for whom it’s a special event that they’ve only done a few times.  It’s something I’ve been doing regularly since I was 16 so it’s a nice familiar feeling.  Now that we’re older and aren’t broke college kids anymore we’ve more expendable cash to pump into going to shows and she even has gotten me into going to musicals these days.  

Oh yeah.  Forgot about this cool little gem from a few weekends ago —

Went to see the Cleveland Orchestra  play the score along with the film Amadeus.

IMG_5165.jpeg.731ec4b82aa2308e4e109cb7a1c0d576.jpeg

• Wow! 2

Yesterday was national day in Taiwan, and it just so happened that the main events were being held in my city, only twenty minutes from my residence. 

Originally I planned on just taking my brother over to see the fireworks, but then I noticed that later in the night there was some live music.

One of the performers was Fire EX, a Taiwanese band that I really like. I've seen them before in concert in 2018, it was great seeing them again. I also saw a famous aboriginal singer, Matzka, I never heard his music before but it had a great vibe and I plan to check out his music further.

Attached are just some random pics of the two performers I saw last night, they're not from last night's show.

2460001734_dc5d8586e1_o.jpg

002564bc654b12acb9f019.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last thursday was dragonforce, amaranthe, nanowar of steel, and edge of paradise at the Majestic Theater in detroit. Missed edge of paradise due to traffic. I didn't particularly enjoy nanowar of steel but I've seen so much worse. Amaranthe put on a really good show and I might just have to listen to more of their music. Dragonforce kicked all the ass. They played a few songs from their upcoming album. Super glad I got to go to this one.

20231109_230031.jpg.3234adfd1e5d590faadbee0f671f2066.jpg

20231109_232428.jpg.0a8fa8ad93832e38eb7cdafa80ce725e.jpg

Friday night I saw Metallica and Pantera at Ford Field. Missed mammoth and half of Pantera because I guess Detroit is just terrible for these kinds of things. Not the biggest fan or Pantera but Metallica put on a really good show.

20231110_223245.jpg.066e3ce20b1b859ee49188dd2ec6047e.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few over the last bit

Cloud Nothings/ Menzingers

IMG_5604.jpeg.63e3756623820a28791dd957911cb350.jpeg

I was a fill in for a bailed concert goer on this one.  Edit: oh yeah I forgot, the headliner was the Menzingers.  Didn’t get a pic of them.  I got to play Klax.

IMG_5598.jpeg.920cd46189adf297a8520be7b6e335d1.jpeg

Heartless Bastards

IMG_5778.jpeg.0e9f4cb1b64b0413acfcea684457d61d.jpeg

TSO

IMG_5893.jpeg.84405846dd0245e9aeb7b2cd033e9979.jpeg

took the kids to this one.  Their first concert 😊 

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Underground shit. <200 capacity clubs. :classic_cool:

GRLWOOD, Cobra Lounge, Chicago, 1/26

punk rock!

Spoiler

Young women shouting and skillfully rocking the fuck out. They were awesome, and the crowd was singing along with like everything.

I think I found out about this show from an ad on social. Whatever it was, I had to deal with the Dice app bullshit - not only do you need a specific app for this maybe thrice a year usage, but it's a QR code that you access only on the app, can't access less than 2 hours before the show, can't use a screenshot or load in advance - and I couldn't buy it right away. I had to let it notify me "when a ticket becomes available" or whatever. I think this was a bullshit FOMO tactic that the app always uses.

Cobra Lounge. I love this club. It's an easy ride from my house by train or bike or car, a straight line. It's a cheap local place that books metal and punk. 5-10 years ago it was guaranteed any time I went there I would see multiple people I know both on and off stage, and often behind the bar as well. Not the case at this show, and maybe that's because other people got old, but I was again (see my 10/23/23 post) super happy that there were young people making and appreciating this music because that means it will continue.

My drinks were $8. First one I handed the bartender 15 and said "I need change". She said "thank you", and it turned out she did mean what I thought by that. After she hit a couple other people I looked at her meaningfully and she came over - "I said I need change" "Oh, I thought you said keep the change." I wanted to tip $3 - as I always do minimum for a cocktail, but not 7 on an $8 drink - unless it's a friend or comped. She was hot and dressed to show it; with a smile I said "I'm nice but not that nice. It's not like I think I could talk you into going home with me." If we were the same age that might be a different story, but I'm too old now and was too oblivious back then. Youth is wasted on the young.

I got bloody for the first time in years at a show (got my nose knocked on the back of someone's head in the mosh pit) fortunately it wasn't broken and didn't hurt much after a minute or two. I went out to the front room because I thought it would be less busy, bartender was nowhere in sight. I came back in the show room and asked the cute girl, again with a smile, if she had napkins (show room bar is very small - I even thought it wouldn't have a soda gun at first)  She gave me 2 and told me about the bathroom up near the front - good advice. I've been going to this bar since it opened right around the time I moved back here - 2007 - and the layout has changed several times and I've seen it all - point being, I knew well where the bathroom was, but she is a good bartender and had the presence of mind to remind and point me there when it hadn't occurred to me to go there for a paper towel or toilet paper.

TL;DR: Had a great fucking time, punk rock!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

ARRIVER - Robert's Westside, Oak Park IL 2/3
post-doom, prog, metal!

Spoiler

This is at a new place, and in the suburbs. A lot of old people (older musicians as well, but this is also awesome, old people showing up for metal) - (and as also mentioned above, I've seen Arriver play and have found Dan in the audience more than once at Cobra). And the layout of the place is weird: wide alignment with the stage and shallow For all of those reasons this one was a lot less crowded, and I've known these guys for like 15 years. So I recorded most of their set, in other words a lot more video - all of show after their smoke machine set off the alarm, which I wish I had captured that. Here's a sampling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

IMG_6279.gif.35f65dd3ea317b1ab341a642d91c0c71.gif

Fun fact: That song was nominated both an Oscar and for a Razzie. For me the band deserves the second for sure XP But I tend to like art rock people more, so its unsurprising. Speaking of, I didn't mention I've seen Rundgren a couple times. He's fun, you never know what he'll play. I wish I could have seen him when he was younger though; At 75 he's starting to slow down.