IGNORED

Ungraded Stadium Events for $30k

9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Never heard of it- Has anyone actually verified that money changed hands? Is this a videogame selling app?

You have to pay for it within 5 mins and it was paid for. Pat mentioned it in his latest youtube video

It's a new type of live auction app. games have been going for crazy amounts on there. I think people get so caught up with winning it gets the best of them. it's not my thing but to each its own

Edited by Mr. CIB

8 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

It's a new type of live auction app. games have been going for crazy amounts on there. I think people get so caught up with winning it gets the best of them. it's not my thing but to each its own

That's pretty much exactly it.  My friends who own a game store told me about that exact thing happening on their auctions.  They told me they basically sold all of the "junk" games (stuff nobody would ever much want that sat on shelves for forever or trashed copies of games that do sell regularly) and that people went crazy bidding the prices up, usually at or above what normal condition copies of stuff go for.  I think it's just new, and people are getting into bidding wars the same way they did in the early days of eBay before people (and oh so many bots) figured out sniping as a means of getting what you want without the price getting astronomical.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Sounds like it was overpaid for to me, but nothing makes sense anyways.

Chances are it was overpaid, but with all the people who have money who own a copy, I can see some of those folks making sure to purchase anything that shows up on the market at higher than normal then holding on for a while in order to keep the one weird blip in the price history constant and establish a new "standard."

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

I’ve got plenty of what I like to call “shit lots” I would like someone to over pay me for.  Is this whatsnot accessible for  anyone or is it mostly for creepy YouTubers ?

Should be open for anybody.  Some of the stuff they were selling was popular but common, like beaten up, damaged, labelless copies of Pokemon Emerald and Sapphire at or slightly above the prices for perfectly nice loose copies.  It was madness to see what people were paying for stuff that folks going into the store would normally pass on by.  (I found this out because I was actually looking for such trash when I came by, wanting to pick up a couple of physical games to play but not pay OMFGWTFBBQ nostalgia prices for stuff I wanted to play once then move on from)

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

That's pretty much exactly it.  My friends who own a game store told me about that exact thing happening on their auctions.  They told me they basically sold all of the "junk" games (stuff nobody would ever much want that sat on shelves for forever or trashed copies of games that do sell regularly) and that people went crazy bidding the prices up, usually at or above what normal condition copies of stuff go for.  I think it's just new, and people are getting into bidding wars the same way they did in the early days of eBay before people (and oh so many bots) figured out sniping as a means of getting what you want without the price getting astronomical.

That could actually be a blessing for all the run down mom and pop video game stores. They might actually get rid of some inventory.

A Little Samson cart sold for over $5000 in the same sale. A (poor) Little Samson CIB with a good cart is on Ebay unsold right now for $5200. Does this sale speak to the value of the cartridge or the craziness of Whatnot prices?

I dare the buyer to grade it and put it on HA and see if he can hit the price he paid 😛 

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Matchbook said:

That could actually be a blessing for all the run down mom and pop video game stores. They might actually get rid of some inventory.

True, but on the flip side could lead to more price fuckery from both uneducated resellers who all like to stake their claim to whatever the last highest price was as well as the educated ones who like to artificially manipulate the market into their favor.

41 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

A Little Samson cart sold for over $5000 in the same sale. A (poor) Little Samson CIB with a good cart is on Ebay unsold right now for $5200. Does this sale speak to the value of the cartridge or the craziness of Whatnot prices?

Awfully sure it's the latter, unless it's some bozo hoping to be able to artificially push prices higher on the title across the board.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I dare the buyer to grade it and put it on HA and see if he can hit the price he paid 😛 

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Awfully sure it's the latter, unless it's some bozo hoping to be able to artificially push prices higher on the title across the board.

I have a little Samson cart in really good condition….$5000?! Might be time to let it go.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

After seeing this post I spent most of the night watching people on WhatNot.  While I cant speak to any rediculous prices for stuff, I can say a lot of small sellers had some pretty good stuff to let go.

Most of the people I watched had 20-50 people in their auctions and a lot of buyers got great deals on games.  I saw quite a bit of decent boxed stuff go for way under their perceived PC value.  I was actually pretty impressed.  Also most of the auctions were giving away quite a bit of free stuff (mostly games).  Of course there were a couple wackos that gave off some major bad vibes, but I just didnt bother sticking around.

One thing I do like is most people have a list of what is coming up in the auction. So for the most part you will know if you want to stick around for something.  And you can see what time they are going live; you can bookmark them and come back when it starts.

In conclusion without seeing any mega Chad's selling "grail" games,  I find that you could grab some pretty nice stuff for great prices depending on who you are watching. 

Who knows you might get lucky every once in a while.

• Like 1

Here is a buddy of mine who ran a local store up in Denton, TX. From what I heard, he's gone full time on WhatNot doing auctions in the evenings. He loves it and was one of the first game sellers on there.

https://www.whatnot.com/user/magpieandcrow

EDIT: He said if anyone has any questions about it, send him a message. He offered to help anyone who wants to sign up streamline the seller process.

Edited by Ferris Bueller
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 1:35 PM, DefaultGen said:

I thought I was crazy a few years ago paying Mustang $1,300 for an insanely good condition copy lol

If this is anything like trading cards, anyone who spends this much on a raw (as non-graded cards are called) (especially if allegedly "sealed") game is a FOOL.  The seller really does need to get a game of this value (certainly anything over a few hundred bucks or so) properly graded if for no other reason to make sure it hasn't been compromised in someway (like say, being resealed or a fake label or something).

The reason why this is important for trading cards is to ensure if for no other reason the card is indeed real (and not a fake) and hasn't been compromised in someway (trimmed, recolored (1971 is especially infamous for this), etc).

@OptOut, why do you disagree?  Don't you think it's best for both buyer and seller alike to be better safe than sorry, especially with dealing with really expensive and/or rare stuff like these.

Edited by Estil
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Estil said:

If this is anything like trading cards, anyone who spends this much on a raw (as non-graded cards are called) (especially if allegedly "sealed") game is a FOOL.  The seller really does need to get a game of this value (certainly anything over a few hundred bucks or so) properly graded if for no other reason to make sure it hasn't been compromised in someway (like say, being resealed or a fake label or something).

The reason why this is important for trading cards is to ensure if for no other reason the card is indeed real (and not a fake) and hasn't been compromised in someway (trimmed, recolored (1971 is especially infamous for this), etc).

@OptOut, why do you disagree?  Don't you think it's best for both buyer and seller alike to be better safe than sorry, especially with dealing with really expensive and/or rare stuff like these.

Well, it depends on the kind of item you are talking about, how much the value is, and what your purposes are for buying it.

I've spent several hundreds of dollars on single items in my collection multiple times, but I would never dream of getting them graded.

Also, the price premium for graded items makes the value proposition on buying pre-graded highly questionable IMO.

If you know what you are doing in this hobby, and you pay attention to what you are buying, build up the knowledge and the connections with trusted sellers etc. then there is absolutely no necessity to buy graded games as a form of protection as you suggest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3