IGNORED

So.. a friend found some INSANE sealed titles

Fryer64

On 2/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, Astor Reinhardt said:

I saw the story on Google and wondered if it was already being talked about on here...sure enough.

You missed a lot. People were screaming, freaking out, and some had to be either shaken or slapped.

But enough on what happened in the world of social media, you did not miss much here.ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

I haven't watched the video, I don't plan to...the pictures I saw were bad enough. I'm extremely envious and mad lol.

I pretty much skimmed through it. It... Made me feel glad that I now have an affordable goal when it comes to video games.ย ๐Ÿ˜…

I seriously hope this collection doesn't go to WATA or Heritage Auctions...that would just be awful.

Agreed.ย ๐Ÿ‘

Edited by FenrirZero

On 2/18/2022 at 9:01 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

https://www.ketv.com/article/hundreds-potentially-over-1000-extremely-rare-video-games-found-in-nebraska-after-27-years-in-storage/39127696

ย 

Here is the link from my local news station. It gives a clearer picture of what went down but still doesn't say who the owners are (smart to remain anonymous) and which store that closed in the 90's (I'm guessing it was a Game Doctors).ย 

If I was the owners of the games I'd shut this publicity down so fast and get to work. But also, this makes me want to buy storage lockers around here, haha.

Bidding Storage Wars GIF by TrueReal

Anyone who is tech savvy will figure out his source. When there is a lot of money to be made. Deceptive tactics will be implemented by shady actors. I don't understand why some pple feel the need to share this with the world? If I had acquired a collection of this magnitude, nobody would hear about it. It would be like area 51 secrecy.

Ah Storage Wars...Great show! Brandi, Mary and Rene's wife are all smoking hot. Nuff said.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, Code Monkey said:

Which hate messages? What did he share? Why are people sending him messages?

Some people on here think that folks who collect/"invest" in sealed/graded games are the ones angrily reaching out because OP showing that another sealed copy of Chrono Trigger exists completely dismantles their fake market on sealed/graded games and destroys their profitability.ย 

Ironically, it seems that the people actually reaching out with negative comments are those who are against sealed/graded games, blaming OP for profiting off of sealed games and potentially sending them off to be graded and/or auctioned.ย 

ย 

OP:

"The majority has stopped, just deleting really misguided messages of people who have walls of text of the various issuesย  is a bit satisfying. I think explaining i wasn't profiting, had no influence, or no ill-intentions may have taken the heat off."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Not likely, but hey, the owner of that company did prison time for modding PS1s to play japanese games in the mid to late 90s - fun fact!

Interesting, I'd love to hear more about this if you can spare details.ย 

Regarding the source, I'm just not sure what it could be then. I know they aren't from Gamers. Other locals stores like Game Room, Cd Tradepost, etc didn't exist yet. Unless it was just some mom and pop store I didn't know about.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:31 PM, Gloves said:

Fryer posted earlier in the thread that he's gotten some hate messages here/elsewhere for posting the thread/video:

ย 

He didn't specify anywhere in that post that he received hate messages for posting the video. Was he the camera man? The buyer? The seller? A friend? How is he associated with the find? Which messages did he receive? Why would anyone message him?

I don't know how anyone else is understanding what's happening here and I'm so confused.

• Confused 1

Administrator ยท Posted
1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

He didn't specify anywhere in that post that he received hate messages for posting the video. Was he the camera man? The buyer? The seller? A friend? How is he associated with the find? Which messages did he receive? Why would anyone message him?

I don't know how anyone else is understanding what's happening here and I'm so confused.

Did you... Read that post? He very clearly states that he received disparaging messages multiple times (and that for the most part he's ignoring them).ย 

6 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

Some people on here think that folks who collect/"invest" in sealed/graded games are the ones angrily reaching out because OP showing that another sealed copy of Chrono Trigger exists completely dismantles their fake market on sealed/graded games and destroys their profitability.ย 

Ironically, it seems that the people actually reaching out with negative comments are those who are against sealed/graded games, blaming OP for profiting off of sealed games and potentially sending them off to be graded and/or auctioned.ย 

ย 

OP:

"The majority has stopped, just deleting really misguided messages of people who have walls of text of the various issuesย  is a bit satisfying. I think explaining i wasn't profiting, had no influence, or no ill-intentions may have taken the heat off."

I'm pretty deep in these communities, trust me, nobody cares about a single sealed game on the market. Chrono Trigger is one of the best selling Super NES games of all time, there are probably thousands of sealed copies. As long as the pool of buyers is larger than the pool of sellers, the price won't drop at all. You still have to buy one as soon as it comes up for auction because it's not like you have other options.

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Did you... Read that post? He very clearly states that he received disparaging messages multiple times (and that for the most part he's ignoring them).ย 

Yes but he never related them to the video in any way, he just mentioned he received messages. I didn't understand why one random person in this thread was receiving messages and the rest of us weren't.

Administrator ยท Posted
4 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Yes but he never related them to the video in any way, he just mentioned he received messages. I didn't understand why one random person in this thread was receiving messages and the rest of us weren't.

Yeah he did. His very first sentence. "Guys, I didn't get paid to upload this."ย 

He's stating pretty clearly that he's received messages pertaining specifically to his having uploaded the video. We can assume whether it was for posting to VGS or for uploading the video to YouTube, but I'd assume the former, and even so it's purely semantics.ย 

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm pretty deep in these communities, trust me, nobody cares about a single sealed game on the market. Chrono Trigger is one of the best selling Super NES games of all time, there are probably thousands of sealed copies. As long as the pool of buyers is larger than the pool of sellers, the price won't drop at all. You still have to buy one as soon as it comes up for auction because it's not like you have other options.

I agree that another sealed copy existing isn't pissing off sealed/graded collectors, causing them to hate-message OP, which is what other people suggested on this thread and I disagreed.

PS: CT didn't sell that well in the states it seems. Less than 300k copies, but that's beside the point.ย 

I'm as surprised as anyone tbh. I wasn't there for the YouTube video,ย  I do take a few short tour videos for local businesses, but that's neither here nor there. Unpaid.ย  Wouldn't take a single cent if offered. Same thing with this. But didn't even film it, was sharing a link.ย 

ย 

My relation to this is now at 0%. For personal reasons, at least for the foreseeable future the "friend", is now amongst the "blocked".ย  But it's over,ย  it's done, Happy Presidents day!

ย 

8 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Interesting, I'd love to hear more about this if you can spare details.ย 

Regarding the source, I'm just not sure what it could be then. I know they aren't from Gamers. Other locals stores like Game Room, Cd Tradepost, etc didn't exist yet. Unless it was just some mom and pop store I didn't know about.

I have a pretty good idea where they came from considering the video shows the Saturn titles stacked up exactly where I have seen them like 4 years ago.

7 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I have a pretty good idea where they came from considering the video shows the Saturn titles stacked up exactly where I have seen them like 4 years ago.

Just watched the video again.ย  I have been in that room a couple of times around 2018.ย  I dont wanna board the hate train because they are amazing pieces, but it is what it is.

Also, if they ever do claim Game Doctors was the "owner" of this stuff, they closed around 1998, def not 1994.ย  The owner went to prison around 1997.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

2 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Just watched the video again.ย  I have been in that room a couple of times around 2018.ย  I dont wanna board the hate train because they are amazing pieces, but it is what it is.

Also, if they ever do claim Game Doctors was the "owner" of this stuff, they closed around 1998, def not 1994.ย  The owner went to prison around 1997.

No one claimed Game Doctors, I think that was just speculation for the most part.

But there seems to be more to this story because from what I understand everyone believes this was a recent storage unit find. But apparently that is not the case since you've been to this location?

I don't understand why people are so salty about this.ย  Did sealed games kill their mom or something?ย  What's wrong with this guy finding and buying a bunch of old games.ย  It's an awesome fined and we should congratulate him.ย  These are the freaks I was talking about in the other thread.ย  Morons get a life already.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yeah he did. His very first sentence. "Guys, I didn't get paid to upload this."ย 

He's stating pretty clearly that he's received messages pertaining specifically to his having uploaded the video. We can assume whether it was for posting to VGS or for uploading the video to YouTube, but I'd assume the former, and even so it's purely semantics.ย 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........., now I get it. His misuse of pronouns confused me, when he wrote "this," I thought he was referring to literally this......the forum post he was making here. If you're referring to a video you posted elsewhere you shouldn't use "this" but I guess I'm the dummy if I was the only one not understanding it. I was thinking, "Why would someone pay you to post on a forum?"

So I have more questions. Who's mad about this and why? And why would they message you? What did they write? I'm happy for the person that found these and I'm happy for the collectors that will have the opportunity to buy them when they're sold. This is great, congratulations! I would record the journey of everything from grading or not grading, choosing an auction house, selling privately, I think all that would make interesting YouTube videos.

27 minutes ago, CMR said:

I don't understand why people are so salty about this.ย  Did sealed games kill their mom or something?ย  What's wrong with this guy finding and buying a bunch of old games.ย  It's an awesome fined and we should congratulate him.ย  These are the freaks I was talking about in the other thread.ย  Morons get a life already.

I'll use one of my experiences to explain this.ย ๐Ÿ˜…

There was aย Q&A where the OP wanted to know which company he should submit his loose figures to. With reasons being tied to preservation, as opposed to making a profit. This one member that I had a previous run-in used it as an excuse to attack everybody who had nice, graded collections. While making himself the victim.

Another was when an anti-grader tried to twist what the OP was both asking, and saying, because she thought the grades were part of the scam. Ironically, her own logic could be used against her if she applied for a job where her education was a qualification. But that did not include a very unqualified mod, and was on social media.

But in al cases, it's all about self-entitlement these days. Especially among those who act like their social status is more important than reality.ย ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

11 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

So I have more questions. Who's mad about this and why? And why would they message you? What did they write?

I shared OP's recent comment in a quote to you earlier in this thread. Sounds to me like the negativity is coming from people who thinks he's manipulating the "market" somehow by showing off sealed games and/or mentioning things like grading and sending to auction houses. Though OP has not shared any direct quotes from messages afaik.

4 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

I shared OP's recent comment in a quote to you earlier in this thread. Sounds to me like the negativity is coming from people who thinks he's manipulating the "market" somehow by showing off sealed games and/or mentioning things like grading and sending to auction houses. Though OP has not shared any direct quotes from messages afaik.

I just want to say it doesnโ€™t matter what the messages were about, itโ€™s just not cool to harass people in private.

Iโ€™d bet most of us, if not all, want to come here to de-stress, not coming on to receive stressful private messages.ย 

• Agree 1

Administrator ยท Posted

I do feel that the thread has been a bit derailed, the focus IMO should be on the find itself, not some idiots harassing the OP. No real point in continuing to drama-feed by guessing at who said what and why, I feel Fryer made it clear and then moved on, so can we.ย 

As I say, if it happens here on the site please report it. Otherwise I think we can try to get back on track and talk about the gams.ย 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Otherwise I think we can try to get back on track and talk about the gams.ย 

There is more to this story that meets the eye. I can't place it but something fishy is going on. @SilverspoonGamingย knows more. He said he was in the room with these games in 2018. But this story just came about about a storage unit find. Or is that what it was, just some time before 2018?ย 

Idk. It's very interesting to me.ย 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

I do feel that the thread has been a bit derailed, the focus IMO should be on the find itself, not some idiots harassing the OP. No real point in continuing to drama-feed by guessing at who said what and why, I feel Fryer made it clear and then moved on, so can we.ย 

As I say, if it happens here on the site please report it. Otherwise I think we can try to get back on track and talk about the gams.ย 

That's the problem, we have been given no information. Someone found something somewhere, that's the most information we have at this point. A few games were shown in a shaky video with no details provided about their variants and no list of titles. We've completely exhausted everything there is to talk about in the video.