IGNORED

Game Debate #86: Metroid Prime

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

11 minutes ago, Link said:

It is first-person perspective, though, and you shoot. It's just a shorthand. Exploration is a component in most FPS titles, and pure, non-shooty FP adventure is not a genre with many examples.

It may be an under-represented genre, but more is the pity!

You can put games like Bioshock, Hexen and Fallout 3 in this genre. The combat elements are secondary to the exploration, that becomes the primary focus of the game.

I mean, would you put Super Metroid and Mega Man X in the same genre because they are both run and gun action platformers?

There is a clear distinction between Metroid Prime and what are commonly understood to be first person shooters, and Nintendo themselves made this distinction at launch too.

Edited by OptOut

12 hours ago, OptOut said:

Metroid Prime is NOT an FPS!!! 🤬

It's a first-person adventure game, the core gameplay experience is centered on EXPLORATION and environmental puzzle solving, the shooting is not the primary focus of the game!

Twenty years later and people STILL don't seem to understand this. Personally, I think it's the best Metroid game, although the sequel Echoes is actually even better in many ways.

I gave it a 9.

Often I agree with you, but you're chugging Nintendo flavored kool-aid by the keg, like keg stand worth intoxication with that statement.  Nintendo conned people into thinking that, but the game itself clearly says otherwise with the very mechanics it and the AI involves itself in.  Those space pirates act like fairly decently smart for the era AI bots in how they track, lock, dodge-wave-strafe and unload hot plasma on you repeatedly.  Various other non-borderline braindead indigenous stuff offer up some FPS like smarts/evasion tactics/antics too.

Might as well call games with some depth like Half Life first person exploration too right?  YOu had to find a lot of stuff, locate switches, platform like crazy in varied environments...yet no one would ever call it that, or others like Half Life, which Metroid Prime squarely falls into very similar territory.

Those combat elements you call bioshock and other similar titles too as secondary you know is bs right?  Stuff like that, which is the primary way to DIE in the game if you blow at it definitely doesn't make it secondary.  Secondary would be damn near optional, stuff you could largely just evade, avoid, or just not do by finding other means.  Metroid doesn't offer largely other means, often you're stuck, especially with repeatedly locked up rooms where you learn to shoot, aim and lock well... OR DIE.  Pretty sure @Link there and others would agree.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Disagree 1

I mean, I guess we'll have to disagree, but it's a shame when people dismiss the game because it doesn't fit their standard of what they think an FPS should be, or alternatively don't even give the game a chance because they "don't like FPS". I've heard plenty of people say both these things over the years.

Also, I guess it's kinda moot if no one cares, but I gotta drop this here, the very first paragraph describing the game from Wikipedia:

Screenshot_2022-02-01-10-35-35-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.20f177b17cddb6ca02ef45726fc82b6e.jpg

You don't need to believe me, Wikipedia nor even Nintendo, but whatever you do don't let preconceived notions dissuade you from enjoying the game. 🙂

On 1/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, TDIRunner said:

I started the game once years ago.  It was more of a test of the game I had rather than an attempt at a playthrough.  It didn't really grab me the way I thought it would.  

On 1/28/2022 at 12:44 PM, RH said:

My experience was quite the same.  I bought it near launch, liked it, but I think that's when I took a major job change and basically stopped gaming much.  I've since booted this game 1-2 times since 2005 and played maybe 30 minutes.

I do want to play it but I just never get engaged in it enough to really get into it. I can, however, get engaged by the 2D Metroids and find myself playing many of those for days.

this also describes my feelings on Metroid Prime. bought it new, played it for awhile. It was fine. Started it again last year. played for maybe 2 hours. It was fine, but i'd rather play other games. I'd like to get back to it before Prime4 comes out. we'll see. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:42 AM, OptOut said:

Metroid Prime is NOT an FPS!!! 🤬

i agree that it's not a FPS. but, since Nintendo doesn't make FPS, people look at this game as N's version of a FPS (similar to how Splatoon is sometimes described as a PvP/battle royale/shooter game, even though it's not). I don't know that i agree with that assessment, but it does make a weird sort of sense. 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:40 PM, OptOut said:

I mean, I guess we'll have to disagree, but it's a shame when people dismiss the game because it doesn't fit their standard of what they think an FPS should be, or alternatively don't even give the game a chance because they "don't like FPS". I've heard plenty of people say both these things over the years.

Also, I guess it's kinda moot if no one cares, but I gotta drop this here, the very first paragraph describing the game from Wikipedia:

Screenshot_2022-02-01-10-35-35-91_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.20f177b17cddb6ca02ef45726fc82b6e.jpg

You don't need to believe me, Wikipedia nor even Nintendo, but whatever you do don't let preconceived notions dissuade you from enjoying the game. 🙂

Would saying I typically don't enjoy games with a first person perspective be more agreeable to you? This is just semantics to me really. 

I will say being able to differentiate with a higher degree of specificity what kinds of experience games offer, regardless of how they appear on the surface, is an important element to art criticism and media literacy in general.

Labeling games, labeling anything isn't an exact art or science, you can call Metroid Prime a first person shooter if you want to be VERY general about how you describe it.

But, honestly, I think the game deserves a more accurate description than that, I think games in general deserve a greater degree of more detailed and more literate analysis as a burgeoning art form.

6 hours ago, Murray said:

Solid lil’ FPS. Kinda like Doom, but in space. 

4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

It's pretty much a DOOMvania clone.  In space.

Settle down you pair of fuckle-chucks. 😡

Metroid Prime is NOTHING like DOOM, and I can prove it:

The dude in DOOM is a dude, the dude in Metroid Prime is a chick. Totally different.

Also, Metroid Prime is in space. Case closed.

• Haha 2

optout it's been 20 years

i think people near universally get what kind of experience metroid prime was going for at this point. it's fine! look at the poll results, people like it! you don't need to justify it not being a clone of doom or halo or whatever in 2022!

(also, shouldn't it be "first-person action-adventure"?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1