IGNORED

Cartoons: Help Me Build the Ultimate Collection

twiztor

29 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures is essential 80s.  My favorite Saturday morning cartoon at the time it aired.  John K. worked on a dozen or so episodes and credits the toon as the harbinger of the creator driven cartoon renaissance of the 90s.

i thought you would say james and the giant peach

• Haha 1

There's some awesome cartoons from the 90s and 00s that absolutely deserve your time. Here's some more that haven't been mentioned...

Jackie Chan Adventures

Xaolin Showdown

- Codename: Kids Next Door

- Teen Titans (the original, arguably the best cartoon of the 00s.)

- Totally Spies

- Courage the Cowardly Dog

- Cow and Chicken

- Johnny Bravo

- SpongeBob SquarePants (Seasons 1 - 4 + the movies)

The Fairly Odd Parents (Seasons 1-4)

And then, some modern stuff from the '10s...

- Adventure Time

- Steven Universe

- Regular Show

- The Loud House

- Harvey Beaks

- Chowder

Bee and Puppycat

- Bravest Warriors

- Rick and Morty

And then, of course, anime...

- Death Note

- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

- Attack on Titan

- Full Metal Alchemist (both the 2003 series, and the later Brotherhood series are worth watching, though Brotherhood is better)

- Erased

- Durarara

- Bacano!

- Soul Eater

- Puella Magi Madoka Magika

- One Piece

- Gurran Lagan

And some anime movies...

All of Studio Ghibli's work, but especially...

- Spirited Away

- Laputa: Castle in the Sky

- Princess Mononoke

- Grave of the Fireflies

- Kiki's Delivery Service

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

- Whisper of the Heart

- Ninja Scroll

- Ghost in the Shell

- Akira

- Tokyo Godfathers

Events Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This goes back aways - Rocky and Bullwinkle was a fantastic cartoon show that ran from 1959-1964.  It appealed to both adults and children since the humor ranged from fairly simple to fairly sophisticated.  It was organized into segments - the main storylines (which were continuing) featured Rocky and Bullwinkle while the supplementary segments were Dudley DoRight, Mr.Peabody, Fractured Fairy Tales and Aesops Fables (maybe some others but it has been a long time).

Rocky and Bullwinkle is a must.

LorXc5W.jpg

With my limited experience of shows from your desired time, I only have a few I can recommend. 

Sonic SatAM was previously recommended, I strongly urge you to look into it. A fantastic show that never gets old no matter how many times you look at it. 

If you want a laugh at a show that's hilariously bad, I'd recommend Sonic Underground. It's not good. At all. All the text is in Comic Sans, that's one main reason. 😆

The Mario animated shows (all three of them) while not the highest of quality are entertaining for what they are. I'd just ignore the episode of SMB3 where they turn into babies and keep their mustaches. It's... weird. 

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

Most have probably been said, but I will second and or suggest these:

• Rocko's Modern Life
  • Scooby Doo Where are You?
  • Sccoby Doo Show
  • Scooby Doo Meets the Boo Brothers
  • Anything Hanna Barbara
  • Dragon Ball
  • Outlaw Star
  • Tri-gun
  • Yu Yu Hakusho
  • Aeon Flux
  • Space Ghost Cost to Cost
  • Spider-man: The Animated Series
  • Daria
  • Dexter's Laboratory

peviously mentioned:

Powerpuff Girls
The Real Ghostbusters
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Bravestarr
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
Ducktales

new from me:
Jem and the Holograms
She-Ra Princess of Power - just as good as He-Man & MOTU. She-Ra’s friends are worse (annoying) than He-Man’s, but her alter-ego and villains are better. 

older stuff:
Tex Avery shorts
Tom & Jerry (previously mentioned, but I would specify MGM shorts. The Hanna-Barberas are mainly Chuck Jones rehashing Wile E Coyote & Roadrunner, or putting our duo in space — highly improper I say, quite quite 🧐)

On 7/31/2020 at 8:57 PM, Tulpa said:

Fantastic Planet, the Triplets of Belleville (both French films, so same caveats)

Dude, look for April and the Extraordinary World. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:10 PM, Tulpa said:

The Maxx was based on the Wildstorm imprint comic.

ahem, you mean Image 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, Tabonga said:

Rocky and Bullwinkle... segments...(maybe some others but it has been a long time).

I remember Uncle Waldo & Hoppity Hooper, and King Leonardo.

I think they were separate show(s), but same style and producer (Jay Ward) and they aired together /back-to-back in my market in the 80s. 

9 hours ago, Link said:

new from me:

She-Ra Princess of Power - just as good as He-Man & MOTU. She-Ra’s friends are worse (annoying) than He-Man’s, but her alter-ego and villains are better. 

No offense, but it would be better said as, at best the original She-Ra is "just as BAD as the original MOTU" (this is coming from someone who had PLENTY of nostalgia rewatching a chunk of MOTU with my kids).  

But She-Ra is almost irredeemably bad, at least in her original appearances in He-Man.  Haven't rewatched any of the original series, though, so I can't say whether she's portrayed better in her own series.

4 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

No offense, but it would be better said as, at best the original She-Ra is "just as BAD as the original MOTU" (this is coming from someone who had PLENTY of nostalgia rewatching a chunk of MOTU with my kids).  

But She-Ra is almost irredeemably bad, at least in her original appearances in He-Man.  Haven't rewatched any of the original series, though, so I can't say whether she's portrayed better in her own series.

🤷‍♀️ I didn’t watch either of them in their time. Only within the past 10 years did I pick them up, when they played on an upper-dial broadcast station here after the late late show, and then on Netflix. They are juvenile to be sure. But I found both far less cringe-worthy than, for instance, The Super Mario Show or the first TMNT movie (the cartoon hasn’t come up anywhere, but I’d expect the same.) Those are flat-out embarassing to watch with someone who didn’t catch their initial runs. I didn’t have that feeling with She-Ra Princess of Power. I can’t speak to her first appearance(s) on He-Man’s show, though.

It’s worth noting that Larry DiTillio wrote the show bible and a number of episodes. 

2 minutes ago, Link said:

🤷‍♀️ I didn’t watch either of them in their time. Only within the past 10 years did I pick them up, when they played on an upper-dial broadcast station here after the late late show, and then on Netflix. They are juvenile to be sure. But I found both far less cringe-worthy than, for instance, The Super Mario Show or the first TMNT movie (the cartoon hasn’t come up anywhere, but I’d expect the same.) Those are flat-out embarassing to watch with someone who didn’t catch their initial runs. I didn’t have that feeling with She-Ra Princess of Power. I can’t speak to her first appearance(s) on He-Man’s show, though.

It’s worth noting that Larry DiTillio wrote the show bible and a number of episodes. 

I'm surprised you feel that way about TMNT. My kids LOVED IT, with no existing context for the turtles -- though sure, watching it with another adult that had no context for it might be odd.

Super Mario Super Show isn't all that bad. It i just really goofy.

I think part of my issue with revisiting MOTU, was that it was done on the heels of rewatching Thundercats, which was a legitimately well made show.

4 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

9 minutes ago, Link said:

Speaking of shows that are a lot worse than I remember, I was shocked when I rewatched Inhumanoids a few years back. It started out okay, kind of a GI Joe ripoff with giant monsters. But good lord did it get ridiculous. And there's only thirteen episodes.

Fun fact: GI Joe, Transformers, Inhumanoids, and Jem and the Holograms are all in the same cartoon universe. They have a character in common to all four series.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I think part of my issue with revisiting MOTU, was that it was done on the heels of rewatching Thundercats, which was a legitimately well made show.

I gotta check that one out. I missed all of those “serious” shows when I was a kid. 

In any case, if He-Man is on one’s list as in the OP, I’d say She-Ra’s show is worth a chance.

I tried GI Joe recently and it didn’t grab me.

Edited by Link

GI Joe kind of rode the wave of patriotism that was present in the mid-80s (the Olympics, US vs USSR stuff, etc.) For better or for worse, that was the context when that show originally aired and was a big reason why it was so popular.

I do think the first two miniseries that aired in '83 and '84 were great. The regular series starting in '85 was more of a mixed bag, but still had some good shows. And the hero characters were better developed than most of the ripoffs that came around at the same time. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Speaking of shows that are a lot worse than I remember, I was shocked when I rewatched Inhumanoids a few years back. It started out okay, kind of a GI Joe ripoff with giant monsters. But good lord did it get ridiculous. And there's only thirteen episodes.

Fun fact: GI Joe, Transformers, Inhumanoids, and Jem and the Holograms are all in the same cartoon universe. They have a character in common to all four series.

Inhumanoids was definitely a great 2nd best on toys, aside from Transformers, though.