IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Just now, Makar said:

Think we'll see a giant spike in 2 weeks?

Not ruling it out.  I'm treating things as though we are in the middle of it.  Another holiday weekend can't help matters.  Ohio's number keep going up at an increasing rate.  I have a hard time attributing it to increase testing, etc.  At a point it can't all be a coincidence. I continue to trust medical professionals. If I'm wrong I wasted an extra month at home playing games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zeppelin03 said:

Not ruling it out.  I'm treating things as though we are in the middle of it.  Another holiday weekend can't help matters.  Ohio's number keep going up at an increasing rate.  I have a hard time attributing it to increase testing, etc.  At a point it can't all be a coincidence. I continue to trust medical professionals. If I'm wrong I wasted an extra month at home playing games.

All my friends at the beach keep telling me it's packed and no one is wearing masks. Kinda alarming tbh. I imagine this is how it is in many parts of the U.S. Florida is already at 10K cases a day. Imagine after the 4th or July weekend. 

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Makar said:

All my friends at the beach keep telling me it's packed and no one is wearing masks. Kinda alarming tbh. I imagine this is how it is in many parts of the U.S. Florida is already at 10K cases a day. Imagine after the 4th or July weekend. 

I'm sure there's an actual name for this effect that I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think it's just that so many people have this thought process (whether conscious or subconscious) of "Oh it's not a big deal, because I haven't been personally affected by COVID, it'll be fine." and then when they or someone they know inevitably get it and start showing symptoms, only then do they start taking it seriously, when it's already far too late. A lot of people are just not willing to inconvenience themselves even the slightest bit, even when it's for the good of those around them.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread a ton so forgive me if this point has already been brought up, but it does just irk me a lot how so many people don't treat something this serious as a big deal until it's looming directly over them.

• Like 5

On 7/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, Doctornick said:

Oh you are spot on, we have a huge spike in mental emergency admissions over the course of the pandemic too.  I think a lot of people are equating public places to having a small initiate gathering at home.   You can definitely have safe gatherings with friends/family at home, ideally outdoors etc without much worry or even go for a walk/hike, so I struggle to see  what is the real cause.  That said it's an equally serious issue without an easy answer, whereas Covid suppression does have a fairly easy answer.

The real cause..of the spike in mental health conditions, you mean?

I would presume it'd be the same principle no matter the era - perpetuating stress triggers with relative lack of moral supports. Safe distancing is the primary objective right now, but this means there are less physical bonds such as hugs/kisses and just less human interactions all round. And if you have pre-existing mental illness, or a perpetual worry over financial/home stability, then mental illness can be predictably worsening in some proportion of the global population.

The other issue that I can see from my end, is that people are less incline to see their family doctors/psychologist/psychiatrist to get their typical counseling/moral support, and this would be another probable factor in worsening the mental illness situation.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm sure there's an actual name for this effect that I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think it's just that so many people have this thought process (whether conscious or subconscious) of "Oh it's not a big deal, because I haven't been personally affected by COVID, it'll be fine." and then when they or someone they know inevitably get it and start showing symptoms, only then do they start taking it seriously, when it's already far too late. A lot of people are just not willing to inconvenience themselves even the slightest bit, even when it's for the good of those around them.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread a ton so forgive me if this point has already been brought up, but it does just irk me a lot how so many people don't treat something this serious as a big deal until it's looming directly over them.

The "I'll believe it when I see it" phenomena-thingy.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, zeppelin03 said:

The friend and her husband in the past had critiqued our purchasing of conventional produce over organic due to the help concerns.  Now the same friend doesn't see the point of wearing a masks if other are.  I'm kind of lost on how people prioritize their health.

I bet I can guess her opinion of vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Link said:

I bet I can guess her opinion of vaccines.

If there is one thing stupid people on either side of the political spectrum agree on, it's that vaccines are bullshit. 

It's the ultimate intelligence test. Want to find out if the person you're speaking to is an idiot. Just say "Vaccines are bullshit, Amirite?" 

They agree - confirmed moron.

They disagree - just inform them they passed the worlds most cutting edge intelligence test.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

If there is one thing stupid people on either side of the political spectrum agree on, it's that vaccines are bullshit. 

It's the ultimate intelligence test. Want to find out if the person you're speaking to is an idiot. Just say "Vaccines are bullshit, Amirite?" 

They agree - confirmed moron.

They disagree - just inform them they passed the worlds most cutting edge intelligence test.

My brother-in-law's girlfriend brought that up the second time meeting her (she had no clue what i did for work).  Needless to say we still don't get along that well a few years later 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Meanwhile, in India...

Screenshot from 2020-07-05 16-29-50.png

He's just following in the footsteps of this guy (RIP)..

spacer.png

“Everybody knows me as the ‘gold man’ in the whole region. Other rich people spend one crore (10 million rupees) to buy Audis or Mercedes, to buy what they like. What crime have I done? I just love gold,” he said in 2013.

“Gold has always been my passion since a young age. I’ve always worn gold as jewellery in the form of bracelets, rings, chains,” he added.

He was murdered in 2013.

Edited by Tenjikuronin

Certainly not a crime to be rich nor to purchase what you like. Still, I do believe some humility and consideration of others is important. The average YEARLY salary in India is less than $2000. So the guy with the gold mask, whom I would argue is really just showing off, has something on his nose worth two-years salary to the average Indian. 

12 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Certainly not a crime to be rich nor to purchase what you like. Still, I do believe some humility and consideration of others is important. The average YEARLY salary in India is less than $2000. So the guy with the gold mask, whom I would argue is really just showing off, has something on his nose worth two-years salary to the average Indian. 

I agree with you -- I was just posting direct quotes from gold jacket guy before he died....lol

11 hours ago, avatar! said:

How in the world do they even manage?  I mean I would figure a country with such a rich storied history (they gave us our modern base-10 numbering system (along with the Arabs) as well as chess among other things) not to mention a nuclear country (since 1974) would be able to have a higher standard of living than that. 😞  Still I guess having over a billion people can get yourself spread a little too thin...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I saw this story, hopefully this doesn't spread.  I'm pretty sure they have a handful of cases every year.

Also everyone should check out the nifty Covid graphs online and see how your state is doing.  We are making a solid push to break into the top 10 here in Ohio.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I saw this story, hopefully this doesn't spread.  I'm pretty sure they have a handful of cases every year.

Also everyone should check out the nifty Covid graphs online and see how your state is doing.  We are making a solid push to break into the top 10 here in Ohio.

Just give it a couple weeks.  We went for a walk in the metroparks on Saturday.  Only saw one other person wearing a mask down there.  Ohio can break the top 10 no problem.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Just give it a couple weeks.  We went for a walk in the metroparks on Saturday.  Only saw one other person wearing a mask down there.  Ohio can break the top 10 no problem.

Yeah we pretty much resumed total lockdown at our house.  My family was taking it seriously before and stopped, now I have an uncle (50 years old and otherwise healthy) on a ventilator. 

I'm over it, I feel so beaten down and worn out that my mind drifts towards "I hope everyone gets this and loses someone" which is exactly what we were warned about by our mental health staff in February.  Just know that people like you who take this seriously and do the best you can to prevent the spread keep us sane.  

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Yeah we pretty much resumed total lockdown at our house.  My family was taking it seriously before and stopped, now I have an uncle (50 years old and otherwise healthy) on a ventilator. 

I'm over it, I feel so beaten down and worn out that my mind drifts towards "I hope everyone gets this and loses someone" which is exactly what we were warned about by our mental health staff in February.  Just know that people like you who take this seriously and do the best you can to prevent the spread keep us sane.  

With two family members getting it already it's tough not to take it seriously.  I'm stocking up again in the event I have to sit at home for a couple weeks.  Hopefully others jump on board.  I'm burnt out.  Could only image it for people working with this everyday.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, avatar! said:

There are also a few cases of bubonic plague each year in the USA. This isn't anything new, although apparently new to the media. 

There also some cases of leprosy - mostly via immigrants but armadillos are a reservoir for the virus so some cases come from them.