IGNORED

Announcing DATABASES! Retro Video Game Stores!

Gloves

So questions. One, can we comment on certain stores...like if X store is overpriced and should be avoided at all costs or if Y store is great and has decent prices? Or is that not really the place for that sort of thing?

Two, so is this going to work like the NA one where each person can mark off if they have a game, if they have the box/manual...stuff like that?

And not really a question but how about game magazines/guides? Nintendo Power is a good example. idk if someone saved the NA thread or not...probably.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

So questions. One, can we comment on certain stores...like if X store is overpriced and should be avoided at all costs or if Y store is great and has decent prices? Or is that not really the place for that sort of thing?

Two, so is this going to work like the NA one where each person can mark off if they have a game, if they have the box/manual...stuff like that?

And not really a question but how about game magazines/guides? Nintendo Power is a good example. idk if someone saved the NA thread or not...probably.

You can comment on stores, yes. You can also leave reviews. Have at it, I encourage it. 

At the moment, no, you can't check stuff off as owned, it's not a collection, it's a database. But maybe I can work something out for a collection tracker. It's on the list of considerations for sure. 

We could do a magazines/guides dB down the road, I don't see why not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

You can comment on stores, yes. You can also leave reviews. Have at it, I encourage it. 

At the moment, no, you can't check stuff off as owned, it's not a collection, it's a database. But maybe I can work something out for a collection tracker. It's on the list of considerations for sure. 

We could do a magazines/guides dB down the road, I don't see why not. 

Ok cool. I want to warn people off from one store, it's just ugh.

Ahhh ok, I guess I confused database with collection. I used the collection tracker on NA to some degree...I really only kept certain systems updated for the Secret Santa thing...since I have a Google spread sheet and an app to keep updated...but I could see using one if I really got into buying/selling/trading on here.

Yay. My only other ideas are more with collection tracking...like Amiibos/World Of Nintendo figures.

Administrator · Posted

Update!

I fiddled around a bit and have added Google Maps to the Stores. When you enter an Address for a store it will now take that address, toss it through Google's Geolocation service, and spit out a picture of where the store is on a map. You can then click that picture to go to Google Maps for their interactive experience in case you need directions etc..

I also changed the way the pages look a bit, so it's a bit better organized and nicer to look at:

image.png

These changes are automatically applied to all the stores already entered, so nobody has to go back and change anything - go take a look at the entries you've already made and see that they're now using this layout, and should all have maps!

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, Bubbapauls said:

@Gloves How is the pilot program going with the Retro Store Database? Are we any closer to any new databases? It’s been going for awhile and I haven’t heard anything.

Honestly I'd expect things to move a little slow at the moment, we're doing a lot of work behind the scenes on a number of things. We want to make sure that when we DO make some sort of new game-related Database, we're able to get the fields and everything right the first time around, and that means really digging into everything available to us. I'll more than likely actually make a thread closer to when we're ready to start working on it to get peoples' feedback on what fields will be needed, etc..

I do really appreciate the work you've put in on the stores so far, you've really filled the place up! 

We're definitely excited to get people working on stuff, but we do have to also manage updating the site itself right now. Full transparency, right now my personal main focus is on getting the Baubles and Charms (site awards) sorted out. BA is working hard on getting MGC together (the Midwest Gaming Classic convention). 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally after 50+ hours I have worked my way through the old retro game store list and added all the US Stores to the new database.

There was a lot of closed stores that were removed and that took awhile to look them up and figure out which ones were still around. I may have made some mistakes and added stores that were closed but I did my best to keep them out.

I am hoping everyone will chip in and proofread my work and make sure I didn't mess up and add closed down stores.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Gloves

I am noticing the start of the Retro Game Store Database getting double entries. It's only a handful now but I see it getting worse in the future. 

Is there any way we can get the stores in alphabetical order making it easier for people to see stores that have already been added, or maybe adding an approval process for new stores. I just don't want to see it get overrun.