IGNORED

Beat every N64 Game - 2020 - 153/303

Splain

N64 blew my awesome fuse as a kid, and I still can't get over it. Grew up with NES and SNES and MegaDrive, but the N64 just completely blew my fucking mind playing Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire was like entering a different world. To me earlier generations were like looking through a window at what was happening in the game, this was like strolling through the front door!

I was 12 when we got our N64, and it was the first system I ever had where I was reading magazines to check what was coming out and thinking carefully about which games I wanted to buy, instead of just picking games at random at the store or whatever.

Through the magazines I also learned more about the previous systems in my collection, and the history and scope of gaming in general, so the N64 was like the gateway to my love of gaming and the integration of that hobby into my life in a more organized and integral part of my life than it ever had been when I was just a kid playing games.

Every new game that came out excited me more than the last, and my expectations were rarely let down. It was awesome, genuinely new and novel experiences, one after another, really just piling up the greatness of the system over and over for me.

By the time the GameCube came along, I was SO hyped up for that, that it never came close to matching my expectations. I was actually very disappointed with many of the games that came out on GameCube, and although my views on the system have softened a little now that the hot sting of disappointment has faded, I still prefer pretty much any of the N64 games to their GCN counterparts apart from Smash Bros and MAYBE double dash.

I still find myself enjoying the simplicity of the early 3D games, in a way that modern games often don't replicate. In most N64 games you can kind of figure out where to go and what to do without being told, because there are only so many interactive objects and the levels are generally smaller. You can kinda just look at a situation in a 64 game and just "get" what you have to do based on the constraints presented. Modern games have far fewer constraints, which is good obviously in many ways, but quite often I feel like I'm getting eyestrain trying look at all the little details in modern games that actually don't have any gameplay function at all, and end up distracting me from figuring out what I'm actually meant to do. Then like 5 seconds later there's an arrow or a marker or whatever to show me what to do, so that's progress, I guess, lol! 🤣

• Like 2

I jumped back into NBA Showtime and it is really working me. I only have 6 teams left to beat and I may never play it again when I am finished.

I have always loathed the "keep the game close" mechanic that is in all the Sports arcade games, but this game wins the prize. Playing this game for an extended amount of time is akin to a 10k run in flannel underwear...😣

• Wow! 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, LambBrainz said:

Have you ever played it? It's amazing. I've met very few people that actually like it, but I'm in love with it lol

I have never given it a legitimate shot. I used to play pool on PC all the time and this looks very similar. If the physics are solid, I'm sure it would be right down my alley.

Just now, Nugfish said:

I have never given it a legitimate shot. I used to play pool on PC all the time and this looks very similar. If the physics are solid, I'm sure it would be right down my alley.

The physics are surprisingly good. Playing the game is pretty intuitive and you can gently tap the ball or fist it pretty easily with the joystick. I think you'll dig it, especially if you played on PC. This will feel great.

Just beat Virtual Pool 64. It was a valiant effort by "Dick T. Stick", but I got him.

Honestly, I'd add a little more restriction to the requirements for this game. I set it to be a tournament of 8 people (myself included) and I did single elimination. The default is 8 people and you play 5 games to progress. If I need to re-beat this with higher difficulty I can, but this wasn't that bad.

IMG_20200223_000242.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LambBrainz said:

Just beat Virtual Pool 64. It was a valiant effort by "Dick T. Stick", but I got him.

Honestly, I'd add a little more restriction to the requirements for this game. I set it to be a tournament of 8 people (myself included) and I did single elimination. The default is 8 people and you play 5 games to progress. If I need to re-beat this with higher difficulty I can, but this wasn't that bad.

IMG_20200223_000242.jpg

Nice! What's next on the list?

Events Helper · Posted

ugh I hate sportball games......qb club 98 done.  I don't know how u play them @Nugfish you are a trooper for sure.  No more of these for awhile.  if I end up beating something actually enjoyable I'll come back maybe lol.  I was the packers btw I love the team and football but not football games!  Lost the Superbowl once and the NFC championship once ☹ by then I was a little proficient at the game.  15824444009361406005152.thumb.jpg.24deea1029b7fe3d14afa5e13ddff7b4.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeevan said:

ugh I hate sportball games......qb club 98 done.  I don't know how u play them @Nugfish you are a trooper for sure.  No more of these for awhile.  if I end up beating something actually enjoyable I'll come back maybe lol.  I was the packers btw I love the team and football but not football games!  Lost the Superbowl once and the NFC championship once ☹ by then I was a little proficient at the game.  15824444009361406005152.thumb.jpg.24deea1029b7fe3d14afa5e13ddff7b4.jpg

If nothing else, this was one less that I had to do. Much appreciated! 

Edited by Nugfish