IGNORED

Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (NES)

NostalgicMachine

I love the OG Battletoads on the NES (it's one of my personal favorites), but this game absolutely rules. I feel it's everything the OG Battletoads should have been. It retains the challenge, albeit I swear it's a tad smoother and fair over the original. I like having access to both toads and brothers. This is arguably, in my honest opinion, one of the best beat 'em ups on the NES.

Thoughts, VGS?

Battletoads_Double_Dragon_(NES)_(NA).jpeg

• Like 2

This was one of several NES games I rented in 1994. As a 2-Player game, this game is far superior to the original since it is much more playable with a second player and you have the option to play without friendly fire (I like the first game a little bit more if I'm playing alone, however). I also rented the SNES version in the late 90's. While I was slightly disappointed that some music tracks (such as the boss music) were removed, the music in the SNES version impressed me so much that it was the first video game soundtrack that I recorded onto Cassette (I would continue to record video game soundtracks onto Cassette until 2003/2004, such as Mario Party, Mega Man 64, Luigi's Mansion, and Sonic Heroes). I eventually bought the SNES version with the box in 2000 or so (along with several other SNES games) and was happy to finally have the game in my collection. But I kind of missed playing the NES version.

(note: I don't talk in this video; you're seeing and hearing my friend Marv2k)

Fast forward to 2018, my friend and I find and buy copies of the NES version of Battletoads Double Dragon at roughly the same time. We decided to hang out in the Summer of that year and play it, and record a video of it as well. I like it more than the SNES version, and I remembered why when I played it with my friend: the NES version has music and sound effects that the SNES version lacks, and the controls seem more natural. That being said, I still like both versions.

The inclusion of Billy and Jimmy Lee doesn't add a whole lot to the game, but it is still cool and I like that the levels have features from both Battletoads and Double Dragon games (though it is definitely more Battletoads than Double Dragon). I also like that all three Toads are playable for once.

Though I've beaten the Turbo Tunnel in the first game many times (alone, in front of friends, and while recording a video) even without taking a hit, the "Turbo Tunnel" section in level 2 of Battletoads Double Dragon is much less ridiculous than the first game and more fun to play with another player.

btddnes.jpg.5209eb815f60e6bc42698db37d508fd6.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

This was one of several NES games I rented in 1994. As a 2-Player game, this game is far superior to the original since it is much more playable with a second player and you have the option to play without friendly fire (I like the first game a little bit more if I'm playing alone, however). I also rented the SNES version in the late 90's. While I was slightly disappointed that some music tracks (such as the boss music) were removed, the music in the SNES version impressed me so much that it was the first video game soundtrack that I recorded onto Cassette (I would continue to record video game soundtracks onto Cassette until 2003/2004, such as Mario Party, Mega Man 64, Luigi's Mansion, and Sonic Heroes). I eventually bought the SNES version with the box in 2000 or so (along with several other SNES games) and was happy to finally have the game in my collection. But I kind of missed playing the NES version.

Fast forward to 2018, my friend and I find and buy copies of the NES version of Battletoads Double Dragon at roughly the same time. We decided to hang out in the Summer of that year and play it, and record a video of it as well. I like it more than the SNES version, and I remembered why when I played it with my friend: the NES version has music and sound effects that the SNES version lacks, and the controls seem more natural. That being said, I still like both versions.

The inclusion of Billy and Jimmy Lee doesn't add a whole lot to the game, but it is still cool and I like that the levels have features from both Battletoads and Double Dragon games (though it is definitely more Battletoads than Double Dragon). I also like that all three Toads are playable for once.

Though I've beaten the Turbo Tunnel in the first game many times (alone, in front of friends, and while recording a video) even without taking a hit, the "Turbo Tunnel" section in level 2 of Battletoads Double Dragon is much less ridiculous than the first game and more fun to play with another player.

I had never touched Battletoads until the NES competitions.  I LOVED the Turbo Tunnel, and I followed a speedrunners approach and video on it.  It took about a week and a half, but I could no-hit past the turbo tunnel on maybe every 10th attempt.  After that, it was downhill, but since I only played the game for about a week and a half, the game didn't feel half as hard as everyone make it out to be.

Thanks for sharing that video.  I think I need to pick up this game now too.  As a kid, I didn't play many games by Data-East/Tradewinds, and I'm not sure how I missed them.  They were definitely up there with the other top-tier third party devs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

AMAZING post!!!

I too enjoy the original Battletoads on the NES. I got quite good at it a few years back. I made it all the way to Clinger Winger stage if I remember correctly. I definitely had Turbo Tunnel down to a science, that's for sure.

I made this thread because I remember playing and enjoying this game back with a buddy when I was first really getting into NES stuff back in 1997. We'd hang after school and play a pile of NES games, mostly from his brother's collection. This was one of those games, and it always stood out to me. Years later, I found a copy on eBay, after noticing the price had jumped quite a bit.

I think this game was also the last NES game to be featured on the cover of Nintendo Power!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tulpa said:

That was in Double Dragon III, when you select the two player co-op mode. It's in the first cut scene.

They've also taken the DD3 artwork and slapped it right on DD2 for the GB lol it's like nobody was much in charge of this brand eveyone thew in whatever they felt like

• 1 month later...

This game is meals on wheels! The graphics and music are fantastic, it plays great two-player. I doubt I'll ever make a serious enough attempt to actually beat it but I don't care. It's just so much fun even playing 10-15 minutes at a time. It really took the best of both worlds and made something great.

• Like 1

I most definitely enjoyed this game last I had it, wish I could find it again...prices...

One thing for sure I had both for a time decade ago and it always surprised me that while the SNES had the better audio/visuals, it like Ninja Gaiden Trilogy wasn't by much, and beyond that, unlike NGT it was inferior.  The NES game just had better gameplay, better stage design, as was pointed out had more sfx and bits that oddly the SNES (rushed port?) had cut out.  I dunked the SNES game back into the wild and retained the NES one and never regretted that choice, and honestly I do prefer it over the original battle toads.  I could beat both years ago, but BT is more just aggravating, largely the tunnels more than any other part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I most definitely enjoyed this game last I had it, wish I could find it again...prices...

One thing for sure I had both for a time decade ago and it always surprised me that while the SNES had the better audio/visuals, it like Ninja Gaiden Trilogy wasn't by much, and beyond that, unlike NGT it was inferior.  The NES game just had better gameplay, better stage design, as was pointed out had more sfx and bits that oddly the SNES (rushed port?) had cut out.  I dunked the SNES game back into the wild and retained the NES one and never regretted that choice, and honestly I do prefer it over the original battle toads.  I could beat both years ago, but BT is more just aggravating, largely the tunnels more than any other part.

I also used to have the SNES version and while I didn't mind it, I remember not liking it quite as much as the NES version (which I rented once in 1994). I thought the controls were somewhat awkward, and remember the character select and boss music tracks were removed. I bought the NES version a few years ago, and was sure I made the right decision.

I have yet to play the Genesis version, though I have seen videos of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, G-type said:

for everyone who wishes Battletoads had just been the beat-em-up that they thought they were getting from the first level, this game delivers on that.

Mostly... there are still a handful of "different" levels, but the focus is definitely more on the beat-em-up side overall...

I've tried all four (there is a Game Boy version too that plays much like the NES version except in monochrome), but I tend to gravitate toward the Genesis version. When I was in 4th grade a friend asked me if I had ever played Battletoads and I said no, so he let me borrow his copy of this game on Genesis. I thought the sound and gameplay were really cool. He decided to just let me keep the game. I definitely prefer the Double Dragon characters over the toads because their attacks do more damage to enemies.

1 hour ago, TheGameCollector said:

I definitely prefer the Double Dragon characters over the toads because their attacks do more damage to enemies.

I never paid that close attention to it but is this true across all ports, or is it exclusive to the Genesis? I usually waffle back and forth based on however I'm feeling that given day and never really thought about balance differences between the rosters.

• 3 weeks later...